Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star guns are easy to work on 1st the gearbox is clear so you can see what you are doing even when the gear box is pushed togever and the spring you can put in when all the work is done on it.Iv had my star for 2 years and it runs fine iv got a lsw and same works fine.The gun is all steel and if you look after it will last you a lifetime.Oh and te gearbox is made of pollycarb and unlike pot metal will not crack when fireing in cold wether.Air soft shops will always say a gun is no good when thay dont stock it

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let you continue to spout ######.

Have you ever worked on a STAR L85? Getting to the gearbox involves about 800 different screws and about 2 hours of work. Also, the Gearbox is made of some sort of Lexan - and they do break in cold weather, more than metal gearboxes do.

We had one game last year in -4 degrees celcius, and the two STAR M249s and the one STAR L85 that was at the game all died - all had Gearbox fractures.

The STAR is a ###### design. The G&G/AA is a wonderful design - it allows you to feild strip and get to the gearbox so easily, where the STAR is so bad that in Hong Kong only ONE shop will repair them - and they are the official STAR distributors in HK.

And the G&G/AA is made of steel too, you fool.

The best part of the army sa80 is the sling replace every thing else and you should have a good gun

Makes me wonder why you bother to read this thread,you obviously don't like the R85.The Star gun is a totally differant beast from the R85 at a 4 times the cost.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let you continue to spout ######.

Have you ever worked on a STAR L85? Getting to the gearbox involves about 800 different screws and about 2 hours of work. Also, the Gearbox is made of some sort of Lexan - and they do break in cold weather, more than metal gearboxes do.

We had one game last year in -4 degrees celcius, and the two STAR M249s and the one STAR L85 that was at the game all died - all had Gearbox fractures.

The STAR is a ###### design. The G&G/AA is a wonderful design - it allows you to feild strip and get to the gearbox so easily, where the STAR is so bad that in Hong Kong only ONE shop will repair them - and they are the official STAR distributors in HK.

And the G&G/AA is made of steel too, you fool.

Show me where thease 800 screws are then.No iv not fixed one but iv seen one fixed and took about 45mins.And where did i say the G&G was not made of steel YOU FOOL LOL

I feel I kinda know my way around AEGs now, and nothing I've seen on this Army seems cheap or poorly constructed. Maybe I got a ringer like rolling-thunder, but my gun is extremely solid. Much more solid than the Star M249s and L85s I've fondled. Granted I havent' skirmished with them, just held them.

I beat the living ###### out of my guns, and I have an event coming up next weekend. So I'll post how this thing stands up. Note: I intend to run the M60 thru the wash more though.

Edited by Hillslam
Show me where thease 800 screws are then.No iv not fixed one but iv seen one fixed and took about 45mins.And where did i say the G&G was not made of steel YOU FOOL LOL

I second darklite not only on his facts about the STAR gearbox, but also on you being about as intelligent as a drunk, high, metally impaired, comatose rodent. I've also seen people try to repair STAR L85s. Emphasis is on TRY, because it didn't work. It requires more screwing and complicated work than any other gearbox I've seen. Also, STAR gearboxes are worse in cold than metal. You've said nothing but biased lies. Please, for the sake of these forums, shut your yap and leave us contributing members in peace.

I ordered one today, as well as a bunch of other clone stuff. Can't wait for it to get here!

I second darklite not only on his facts about the STAR gearbox, but also on you being about as intelligent as a drunk, high, metally impaired, comatose rodent. I've also seen people try to repair STAR L85s. Emphasis is on TRY, because it didn't work. It requires more screwing and complicated work than any other gearbox I've seen. Also, STAR gearboxes are worse in cold than metal. You've said nothing but biased lies. Please, for the sake of these forums, shut your yap and leave us contributing members in peace.

I ordered one today, as well as a bunch of other clone stuff. Can't wait for it to get here!

Iv never said that the star was easy to fix but its not as hard as you say.Star is the better gun just hold a star in one hand and a army clone in the other and see for yourself.iv had 2 guns break in cold wether at the top of the gear box and the star seems to be ok.Im telling peaple what i think is the best its up to you what you buy at the end of the day and the only thing better about the army is the price tag.And cant you put your point across with out being so rude."sad"

Iv never said that the star was easy to fix but its not as hard as you say.Star is the better gun just hold a star in one hand and a army clone in the other and see for yourself.iv had 2 guns break in cold wether at the top of the gear box and the star seems to be ok.Im telling peaple what i think is the best its up to you what you buy at the end of the day and the only thing better about the army is the price tag.And cant you put your point across with out being so rude."sad"

The gear box is easy to fix its getting to it thats the hard work

Care to tell us exactly how the STAR is better? All you do is say that it is.

I have held both, played with both, and I think the G&G/AA is better. It felt better, performed better and was easier to modify.

Both the R85's i got from RSOV are still working flawlessly, 1 has taken alot of abuse (stupidly long periods of full auto, loads and loads of round passed through it ect....) from people who have never used an aeg before and its still working fine (apart from the cocking handle coming of but abit of lock tight sorted that :D ).

how can i tell if mine is the first production run or second?

Both the R85's i got from RSOV are still working flawlessly, 1 has taken alot of abuse (stupidly long periods of full auto, loads and loads of round passed through it ect....) from people who have never used an aeg before and its still working fine (apart from the cocking handle coming of but abit of lock tight sorted that  :D ). 

how can i tell if mine is the first production run or second?

I really don't know how you can tell.My gun came through in the Union Jack box with the distributors sticker whacked over it.I fixed a grub screw into the cocking handle to stop it coming off{after thread locking the cocking bolt}.I'd be a bit unsure giving any gun other than a TM {cheap & reliable} to a total newbie but i'm glad to hear your R85 with stood the abuse!

as far as i know 1st run is in a union jack box, the 2nd run is just plain brown cardboard

Isn't there differences on the gun? Mine has a smashing union jack box but the gun has new model cocking handle/slide. Have put many rounds through it and the only niggle is that it missfires on repeat mode unless I squeeze off a good auto burst before hand (and then its hit and miss!). It does try to cycle and fire single shot but the bb just trundles out the end when I tip the gun downwards lol. But I must say the build quality is second to none and beautifully finnished.

My brother has a JG S system (or some such M4 modification lol) and its finnish is nowhere near as fine as this. For a clone you can't go wrong, and certainly other than the propper trades on the STAR L85 theres b**ger all between them on the quality of finnish... even though I would say the paint used on the star is more like that used on the real steel but its perfectly fine especially given you could buy 4 or 5 of the R85 for a single STAR...

I bought mine from Airsoft world - their fist batch - and they seem to say its of the newer type as they waited for the factory as opposed to forcing them to release early as the HK traders had. Yet it has a fancy box lol. Maybe I was lucky...?

This is just my contribution in the face of such mindless B.S about it. Sounds to me 'someone' is rather miffed that they payed out a shedload for a gun when most of us here have waited and got a comparable (and I would say better gun for skirmishing) for a fraction of the price. lol.

Edited by CC22
I bought mine from Airsoft world - their fist batch - and they seem to say its of the newer type as they waited for the factory as opposed to forcing them to release early as the HK traders had. Yet it has a fancy box lol. Maybe I was lucky...?

This is just my contribution in the face of such mindless B.S about it. Sounds to me 'someone' is rather miffed that they payed out a shedload for a gun when most of us here have waited and got a comparable (and I would say better gun for skirmishing) for a fraction of the price. lol.

ASW said a lot of things about this gun and other retailers to make themselves sound better imo. They said there's would ship in a brown box for example and these would be "far superior". As far as im concerned they are the same gun with a revised cocking handle.

Hmm methinks you may be getting confused with the Academy L85 that I believe is rather pants.

ASW said a lot of things about this gun and other retailers to make themselves sound better imo. They said there's would ship in a brown box for example and these would be "far superior". As far as im concerned they are the same gun with a revised cocking handle.

Mine arrived in a brown box, though I got it from action hobbies (but I think they got their first batch with airsoft world). But box aside I recon it's pretty much the same gun.

Edit: Also on the last page of my manual under were it says about contacting them if theres a fault it says contact G&G, something which I found rather funny.

Edited by mario114
Either that or he has been really unlucky with his Army L85s...

He also said he had 2 break to cold weather. The Army L85 hasn't been out long enough in the UK to experience cold weather has it? (not in sunny Dorset anyway!! :P ). I'm fairly sure he is talking about the Academy so hasn't quite got his facts straight. Although I am led to believe that the Academy is rather poor so he'd be right that a Star is better than them.

He also said he had 2 break to cold weather. The Army L85 hasn't been out long enough in the UK to experience cold weather has it? (not in sunny Dorset anyway!! :P ). I'm fairly sure he is talking about the Academy so hasn't quite got his facts straight. Although I am led to believe that the Academy is rather poor so he'd be right that a Star is better than them.

The 2 guns that broke where not army armament guns guns i was just talking about gear boxes that broke wich i think was to do with cold weather and has not happend to my star.As for when i said the star was easy to fix what i was talking about was the gear box "yes it is harder to get to than the G&G witch the AA is a clone of"but if peaple think undoing a lot of screws is hard work then what can i say.But iv had my star for 2 years and it still works ok the only thing bad i could say about the star is if you dont put silicone on the screws on the body thay will go rusty.The star is as real as it gets for me because iv seen this gun side by side with the real thing and you could not tell them apart saying that it is £400 and for a toy some peaple would say thats a lot of money.Im a keen fan of the sa80 and wanted to buy a AA when thay came out but was put off when i see one but saying that peaple slag off my G&G rk47 but i like it and if you like the AA sa80 cool.

The 2 guns that broke where not army armament guns guns i was just talking about gear boxes that broke wich i think was to do with cold weather and has not happend to my star.As for when i said the star was easy to fix what i was talking about was the gear box "yes it is harder to get to than the G&G witch the AA is a clone of"but if peaple think undoing a lot of screws is hard work then what can i say.But iv had my star for 2 years and it still works ok the only thing bad i could say about the star is if you dont put silicone on the screws on the body thay will go rusty.The star is as real as it gets for me because iv seen this gun side by side with the real thing and you could not tell them apart saying that it is £400 and for a toy some peaple would say thats a lot of money.Im a keen fan of the sa80 and wanted to buy a AA when thay came out but was put off when i see one but saying that peaple slag off my G&G rk47 but i like it and if you like the AA sa80 cool.

No one expects Queen's English but I for one found this quite hard to read and understand!

Only a few on here have posted about major problems about the AA R85 - the rest is fears given its G&G roots although it has been said at points along this entire thread that AA have improved upon the original in some respects.

Whats the beef?!

Well, I used the R85 in anger for the first time on Saturday, and I was mighty impressed. It chronoed at 327 (this was my main work as the manual states it should be around 360) and the range was great. Accuracy wasn't bad; the BBs were straight enough, just sprayed left to right a little. I put a couple of thousands rounds through with no real problems. I've fitted a 2400mAH battery and it ran all day with hardly any loss of power.

Only niggles were when firing on semi-auto, it has the tendency not to pick up any BBs. As noted in one of the posts above, a quick burst on auto clears this but it's a bit annoying in the middle of a fight! Also, it's very 'twangy'. By this I mean that every third or forth shot you can hear the spring pinging back. Being fairly new to airsoft I'm not sure if this is common to other guns, it may be down to the split nature of the gearbox not being as rigid as say a V2 box.

So overall I'm very happy with my £90. All I need now is to develop some stronger muscles to carry the damn thing round all day!

Just as a note, mine is (probably) a V1 gun as I got it from RSOV. I bought 4 of them for me and some friends and only one has had a problem (the hop up needed tweaking to get the mags to load properly). I've taken then recoil hook out after I field-stripped the gun, put it back together and fired off a few rounds only to discover the recoil had stopped working. Low and behold the hook had disappeared from it's carrier and (luckily) been attracted to the back end of the motor. Had a bit of a panic though when I thought it had dropped into the gearbox! Surely there's got to be a better way of holding it in than lots of grease!

No one expects Queen's English but I for one found this quite hard to read and understand!

Only a few on here have posted about major problems about the AA R85 - the rest is fears given its G&G roots although it has been said at points along this entire thread that AA have improved upon the original in some respects.

Whats the beef?!

Hi there sorry about my spelling did not go to school as a kid as for the AA sa80 iv got no beef with it i dont own one just see 2 of them break on a weekend game and thay feel a little toyish to me.If you own a AA sa80 and you are happy with it what i say should not matter.Peaple slag the star sa80 off and it does not make me cry im happy with it.All im saying is if your going to buy a sa80 dont listen to me listen to eveybodys ponts before you buy one.