Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

:D Skirmished mine for the first time yesterday and am extremely impressed with it!! Function was almost flawless, only the odd missfired semi auto shot, though this did seem to improve as the day went, Chronoed at 332fps. Accurate (made many kills with it :D ). Supplied battery lasted till next to last game (at least 2000rounds). I'm surprised by the suggestion that it feels toy like. I have used the cadet GP rifle (single shot version which we teach cadets with) and feel, weight etc is very similar. I feel that this is a superb rifle (rubbish ergonomics thanks to the Enfield designers) and would certainly recommend to others!! :D
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv got a star and there is NO comparison between thease two guns the coppy is a load of ###### even for the mony i would not buy one they look and feel bad.Iv held my star and a real steel and they look and feel the same.The G&G coppy feels like it came from a toy shop.I know two peaple who bought one of thease each for a weekend game and thay both fell to bits.To eneybody wanting to buy an sa80 take a look at both before you buy

toy you say?

well when my father in law (to be) took his into our local TA center (he is a S/sgt) during a skill at arms lesson, the only thing that got any attention was the cocking hanndel.

people were genuinly picking it up and saying that they didnt think their were any a1's left.

it was only upon explaing that it was an airsoft replica that the small external details that are different were noticed, apart from the a1/ a2 differences.

side by side it is uncanny how close they look and feel.

the AA R85a1 is a supurb replica, even when copared to a real L85.

to say that this is like a toy shows that you are a fool and need to go away.

i am not saying that the Star l85 is no good, but like others have mentioned it is overly complicated and suffers from design defects.

i have had mine for a good while now and have only made one change to it, i put a guarder clear hop bucking in it, like i do to all my guns.

rambo11 get your facts right before you make yourself look a fool.

Hi guys

Anyone wanting a replacement battery, airsoft world have just released an 3300Mah 8.4v custom battery for the AA R85, its only £29.95...Nice!

http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/Batteries.html#a1329

Ps appologies to Whit rabbit, Menitoned your name in referance to Star vrs AA (Page 47), ment to say Rambo11, Sorry chap!

Edited by Rogue Trooper
toy you say?

well when my father in law (to be) took his into our local TA center (he is a S/sgt) during a skill at arms lesson, the only thing that got any attention was the cocking hanndel.

people were genuinly picking it up and saying that they didnt think their were any a1's left.

it was only upon explaing that it was an airsoft replica that the small external details that are different were noticed, apart from the a1/ a2 differences.

side by side it is uncanny how close they look and feel.

the AA R85a1 is a supurb replica, even when copared to a real L85.

to say that this is like a toy shows that you are a fool and need to go away.

i am not saying that the Star l85 is no good, but like others have mentioned it is overly complicated and suffers from design defects.

i have had mine for a good while now and have only made one change to it, i put a guarder clear hop bucking in it, like i do to all my guns.

rambo11 get your facts right before you make yourself look a fool.

I used to teach skill at arms so i know what a sa80 feels like

So its a review without criticsm but ok to give insults

To be honest when I saw a few of your posts, I thought the 11 in your nick is your age. I was going to mention your behaviour, but I had nothing else to say and I noticed FarEast already told you off, so I decided not to spam the thread.

Criticism is fine, and as you may notice a lot of people are giving the R85 flak for its shortcomings. First would be the long piston, which practically needs a spacer to be reliable. Also the cocking handle seems to have a habit of falling off.

The above paragraph and wild exaggerations (that made people you were talking about the Academy instead) just make you look immature and a fanboy of the STAR model. The difference between the external quality of the STAR and G&G or AA are rather small, even though the STAR does have an advantage.

The G&G and AA are still very high on the list when you start naming the most realistic airsoft guns in production. If you say the R85 feels like a complete toy, you obviously have no perspective. While it is a subjective matter to some degree, it is safe to say that in comparison with airsoft models as a whole, the R85 is in the sharpest third.

-Sale

Edited by Sale
Put anouther 1000 or so through mine, only locked up a few times. My CA hi-cap didn't feed very well, but my Tm one (and the army one) worked fine. Will hopefully be skimishing with it this sunday.

I find that the CA mags feed very well with CA guns but not so great with other guns G&P, Vfc, hurricane to name the ones iv tried so its not just the r85 they feed poorly with.

My friend liked my R85 so much he got 1 himself, he received it from gunner airsoft about 1 week ago, it was the second production run. He has put no more than 2 hi caps through it and its broken.

It started making a weird grinding noise coming from the gearbox and now it doesn't shoot at all. We disassembled it as far as taking the upper gearbox off, there appears to be no signs of wear at all on the piston. I tried putting his upper gearbox on my lower gearbox and it didn't make the grinding noise so it must be something in the lower gear box thats causing the problem.

Does any1 have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

I would really appreciate some help

My friend liked my R85 so much he got 1 himself, he received it from gunner airsoft about 1 week ago, it was the second production run. He has put no more than 2 hi caps through it and its broken.

It started making a weird grinding noise coming from the gearbox and now it doesn't shoot at all. We disassembled it as far as taking the upper gearbox off, there appears to be no signs of wear at all on the piston. I tried putting his upper gearbox on my lower gearbox and it didn't make the grinding noise so it must be something in the lower gear box thats causing the problem.

Does any1 have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

I would really appreciate some help

Have a look at this - http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=120919

that maybe the same problem as my friends R85, It sounds like it but we will have to disassemble the lower gearbox to find out. I haven't even disassembled mine befor so im not very sure on how to do it. is there a guide somewhere?

This might help if someone can confirm what version gearbox the R85 uses....

http://www.mechbox.com/site/

it is. although taking it apart should be pretty self explainatory. you could probably work it out yourself or vaguely following instructions for another box.

Thats what I thought - by watching the v2 and v3 videos I'm sure it won't be that much different.

Has anyone had any experience with G&P M4/M16 130 round midcap magazines? 

I've never had problems with the few I've had - always found them to be very good mags. No idea how well they fit in the R85 though.

i know this question will probably go unanswered but is army likly to produce acessories to the R85 any time soon? just a bit sick of waiting for G&G to pull there finger out and make a UGL, or even a susat we were all supost to see months ago.

It would certainly establish them more for doing so....... and beating G&G to the punch would mean $$