Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Haven't read all these ~50 pages, so don't shoot me right away if there is already a answer told:

M16 mags work great with R85 if you just bend the metal. That's said somewhere in first 10 pages.

Is there any way to fix the gun so that plastic mags work without making any changes to all freaking 8 mags I'm gonna carry? Like adding some little plates to guns mag locking holes?

Star real caps work ok as do MAG midcaps

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And another annoyin' FAQ I think :D

Have anyone checked the rear sight rail if it's compatible to 20mm RIS red dot scopes? I suppose it's pretty simple to screw a RIS rail on it, but why bother if the stock rail fits...

Fitted a RDS to mine, but it's too low down against the body and wasn't comfortable to use, an aimpoint on a high mount would most probably work better.

Hmm, dont like the aimpoint on it personally...

The ACOG looks OK imo though, if a cheaper SUSAT doesnt turn up itll have to be an ACOG for me, or just iron sights...

Mines ordered and should be here in a few days...

I'm not sure the Aimpoint looks bad as such just, well... "wrong". :o

It might look better on a lower mount. Anyone tried it?

The ACOG doens't look to bad. It's still not the right scope for this rifle but it's passible, perhaps due to the fact it looks more similar to the SUSAT.

I know the Star SUSAT isn't directly compatible with other L85s but has anyone here tried to fit one? If so, what's the main issue/mods required to get it to fit?

The rail for the Star SUSAT is dovetailed from 21mm to 19mm, while the rail on the R85 is a straight 20mm. You'd therefore have to do a bit of filing.

I fitted an 'mini' ACOG to my R85, but it was a bit low. So I've fitted an ICS M4 riser and that improves things no end. It required some Dremel action to remove the locating pin from the riser, but it tightens up nicely with no movement.

Edited by sook
I know the Star SUSAT isn't directly compatible with other L85s but has anyone here tried to fit one?  If so, what's the main issue/mods required to get it to fit?

You need to take the rail off, turn it upside down and file at the underside of the rails for about 5 minutes and the SUSAT will fit.

So rsov stocks the 18 tooth pistons for the G&G and Army. The general consensus seems to be to buy a few as a worst case scenario right? That or the G&G dapter?

Mines not here yet so cant say first hand but from what Ive heard, either a spacer or a spare piston or two would be a good idea unless you live near a shop that sells them...

With mine, I ordered the spacer and the R85 separately (could only find the spacer overseas anyway, only cost £10) and if/when the piston breaks, Ill ask the R85 store to fit the spacer, under warranty.

I'm thinking of ordering a tightbore from RSOV and a few spare mags and I was just wondering what is the length of the barrel?

ATM the bullets are always going a bit to the left or the right... I can't even manage a good grouping from 10M (I'm prone and the gun is kept still)...

It wasn't like it when I got it though.

Mine is really inaccurate so I'm thinking of getting:

• A tightbore barrel (I think the M16/M4 one will fit, just need to double check)
  • New hop up rubber or the whole hop up
Anything else I could add to try and make it shoot better?

Also is there anything else you pros would recommend replacing?

And this will be my last gun for a while..

1) Because of the VCRA and 2) I'm almost skint ;)

I just want to make sure this gun will last... Also considered upgrading to a better spring but I won't ask about that since I think it might break some rules ;).

Any advice would be appreciated...

TIA

Edited by M4_Fanatic

Well it might come a little "warm" anyway if youre in the UK!

Reliability, piston and bushings are the 2 things Ive seen complained about.

Im no expert, but a tightbore or hopup ...should... solve the problems, did for my G36k, but I cant say for sure... Youre using good-spec BBs I take it?

*2 more days* :nosleep::innocent: Cmon...

Edited by Domz

Yup, good grade BBs...

.2 grams so I'm not using the light ones either :/

I'll add those to my little shopping list too.

Bushings are for the gearbox right? I haven't changed them before since I've never had any gear-box problems and I haven't taken one apart before.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Mine is really inaccurate so I'm thinking of getting:
  • A tightbore barrel (I think the M16/M4 one will fit, just need to double check)

• New hop up rubber or the whole hop up
Anything else I could add to try and make it shoot better?

Have you given the barrel a good clean? And I mean a REALLY good clean! All but one of my ACM guns had extrememly greasy barrels and the accuracy was improved massively by cleaning them thoroughly. I use this...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryId=77322

But please note I have NOT tested the effect of this stuff on hop rubbers - I usually strip the barrel out completely for a good clean.

So I have pretty much read all 54 pages of this thread but I still have a few questions, especially for those who have there R85 in the US.

I am looking at ordering one of these from pointact ($153, seems higher than initially but not too bad still) but does anyone know if all those now shipper have the welded on cocking lever? What about the hop-up alignment issues, does any of the US guys or the UK guys who have gotten there gun recently still see alignment problems?

I am not comfortable at all opening up gearboxes though the fact that this one is split means I might be able to open the top part without issue. If this is not a great gun for someone who is not looking to mess with the internals let me know. Right now I have one of the new G&G M4 plastics and a TM P90 so I am all for guns that won't require much work to actually play with.

Thanks a ton for your help!

I called the people at pointact and they uploaded a new picture, it looks like it has the non strange looking battery in it. If thats the case, can I put a mini 9.6 in it using a plug adapter?

pointact R85

Edited by Mtndew
If this is not a great gun for someone who is not looking to mess with the internals let me know. Right now I have one of the new G&G M4 plastics and a TM P90 so I am all for guns that won't require much work to actually play with.

In that case Id recommend not opening it at all and keeping the warranty valid? Then if the piston does go, just send it to them! S'what Ill be doing probably.

And you might want to ask them to change the spring to the fps you want, maybe put a piston spacer kit in but that gets a little detailed.

Dunno about the other points sorry... Battery might well be a bit too long.

Edited by Domz
It's been said before and even in the R85 manual the semi is not a fault it's part of the way the gun is designed. Due to the pre-cocking afaik.

Not really, the manual just says 'Malfunction of semi auto-operation" Deviation in gear timing - "set firing mode to semi auto after firing 5-10 BBs then set to semi auto mode". Which just suggests it's a possibility that it may happen.

It doesnt say "Semi-automatic unreliable to the point of being unusuable", there's no mention on page 4 "Firing mode and safety".

Given the rifle has a semi auto mode, and that semi auto mode (at least in my rifle) is not usuable for more than 10 shots at best before having to goto automatic and firing off a burst that is a fault, not a "feature" (This isn't a microsoft built gun :D ).

My problem is the sites I goto often have semi only (or repetative fire in L85 parlance ?) games, and one other site I goto less frequantly has semi only days (if playing CQB), if semi isn't reliable I can't use the rifle for those games (or the other site).

So if the issue is the gears not correctly lining up, is there a known way to fix that? Other than semi auto operation the gun is a great replica, it's just the issue is stopping me from using it more often.

Edited by greebo_Brat

Firstly sorry if this has been covered, I've tried the search and with 54 pages to plough through there is a chance that the nugget of info I'm looking for is already there.

However with the blowback whilst it's nice I know it can be locked in the back position exposing the hop up, trouble is this has the potential for muck to get in, I also know that there are methods of permanently stopping the movement.

Is there a way of locking it in the forward position with the minimum of fuss but is undoable if required. It's either that or some tape over the hole which isn't the most aesthetically pleasing approach.

Other than that very pleased with what I've seen so far but will give it a good test over the weekend, been itching since it arrived on monday for a good skirmish.

Firstly sorry if this has been covered, I've tried the search and with 54 pages to plough through there is a chance that the nugget of info I'm looking for is already there...

I don't suppose some kind soul with an R85 wants to put together an FAQ? It would really help out all of us who are just getting or about to get or thinking of getting one of these tempting AEG's...