Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

These have already been awensered before in this thread if you can be assed to search. the way you can tell mk 1 and mk2 is mk1 = colored box and cocking handle glued on mk 2 = plain box and solid cocking plate. (they are the main differences you will see. there is no yellow battery it was a proto type (far east said this) and as for replacement parts its all in the this thread.

Is it possible to search for specific keywords inside an acutual thread and be taken to it? I thought you could only search for keywords and then be taken to the first page of that thread.

Or did you mean searching through all 57 pages of this thread?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushing size is definately somewhere, have a look around the start of the thread or do a search of the forum for R85 bushing size or something.

These have already been awensered before in this thread if you can be assed to search. the way you can tell mk 1 and mk2 is mk1 = colored box and cocking handle glued on mk 2 = plain box and solid cocking plate. (they are the main differences you will see. there is no yellow battery it was a proto type (far east said this) and as for replacement parts its all in the this thread.

And yet I have a coloured box and the charging handle attached with a screw thread and a perpendicular hex screw, dunno what you mean by "solid" plate though.

So ?

Edited by Domz

Far as I can see, it's not possible to search "inside" a thread, so if you do a search for "R85 Bushings" you will get this thread but without an indication of what page number you need. Just a thought to anyone suggesting a thread search will reveal all. Chances are, it won't.

Meanwhile - Darklite on Page 22 of this thread (post No. 439) has said the bushings are 8mm. I can't find anyone that says he is wrong, but you know, remember this is a forum and information here should mostly be treated as hearsay until you know for sure yourself...

It seems this information might no longer be entirely correct.

Action Hobbys were known to be shipping Mk.IIs but a number of us have recently taken delivery of post Mk.II R85s in the coloured boxes. So they have either reverted to shipping Mk.Is and current deliveries are an older version than they were shipping a month or more ago, they're shipping Mk.IIs in colour "Mk.I packaging" again or there's an entirely new Mk.III (also unlikely as it seems to have the same issues).

So, does anyone actually *know* the differences and would be kind enough clarify the easiest way to visually identify each version from the packaging and/or the model itself?

Edited by bRydeR

I've just taken delivery of an R85 in a coloured (union jack) box from Action Hobbies... It has a silver battery in there and a nice coloured manual... Not been in as far as the cocking bolt I'm afraid... Externally, the box shows no date stamps, nor does the manual.

its an out side feature if the cocking handle is glued on (if you unscrew it you will see as there is an indent on the panel for the welded model) I highly doubt any one will be recieveing a mk1 model as they were sold by rsov no other place sells them so seriously I really wouldn't worry about it.

Far as I can see, it's not possible to search "inside" a thread, so if you do a search for "R85 Bushings" you will get this thread but without an indication of what page number you need. Just a thought to anyone suggesting a thread search will reveal all. Chances are, it won't.

Meanwhile - Darklite on Page 22 of this thread (post No. 439) has said the bushings are 8mm. I can't find anyone that says he is wrong, but you know, remember this is a forum and information here should mostly be treated as hearsay until you know for sure yourself...

Try setting "show search results" to posts rather than threads.

Is it possible to search for specific keywords inside an acutual thread and be taken to it? I thought you could only search for keywords and then be taken to the first page of that thread.

Or did you mean searching through all 57 pages of this thread?

Down in the bottom left of the page - after the bottom post and above the page numbers - there is a search box with a 'Search Topic' button. This will allow you search just the thread.

I ran into a problem when installing a spacer-kit from redwolf. I am one of those that like the TM pistons in ~300 fps guns. But the Army R85 upper gearbox is simply to wide for TM pistons, the piston doesn't engage both rails properly, and one side is able to rotate.

Looks a little like this:

r85.JPG

I used the Madbull piston, which is slightly wider, and it seems to work, but my question is: Is this a problem with the Army gearbox, or is it a problem with the G&G gearbox to?

I fear that even slight wear on the piston guide rails might cause the piston to twist, and cause a problem, so does anyone have any good ideas on how to fix this?

(The stock R85 piston is 21.95mm wide at the guide-rails, the TM piston is 21.7mm wide. I forgot to measure the madbull piston before installing it, but it seems to be slightly wider than the stock R85 piston.)

On a side note: I didn't shoot the R85 before opening it, to reshim and install the Redwolf-spacer. When I pulled out the gearbox, I noticed that the bevel gear was coated with a metallic-looking greasy substance. This was explained when I opened the gearbox, as the pinion gear had gouged a rather large piece of metal from the gearbox shell, and ground it into the geargrease, making a metallic paste. There was also some visible damage to the pinion and bevel gear.

I cleaned the gearbox, replaced the bevel gear with another xyt-bevel and 16 tooth sector gear, and installed a TM EG1000 motor, and shimmed and lubricated the gears. Now, the gearbox sounds really nice, has insane ROF with a 9.6 volt battery, and no problems so far, running a stock TM spring.

Can you adv is that was a long shaft tm motor or a shoft shaft tm motor ?

There are several gearboxes that have this problem, I just ran into this issue with a brand new deep fire gearbox ( purchased from airsplat) . I had to use a systema which is slightly larger than a mad bull wich i have several but have never installed . P.S. redwolf also notes this problem on there website under the conversion kit.

Here is that information from this web page on Redwolf:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=23180

Installing this kit allows you to use standard version 1, 2 and 3 AEG pistons from the parts manufacturer of your choice. It does not sacrifice efficiency like using a small O-ring on the piston head or porting the cylinder, so you can use the same springs you would for any other AEG to achieve the desired muzzle velocity. The spacer is also suitable for the Army Armament L85 series. For these models we would advise to use a wider piston like Systema. Some pistons like Tokyo Marui are too narrow and will not stay on the AA rails.

Hi All!

I have L85A1 by Army.

So i love this Gun.

Changes:

1. Stock piston is change - is established strong CA yellow piston for SR25.

2. Established 120 Guarder Spring ;) Hi Hi 130 m\s i have.

3. Guarder Hop Bucking install - stock is very bad.

4. Instal  9.6V 2000 mAh custom battery. On this battery AEG works as the sewing machine Singer. :) (How long?.....Time will show)

5. Blowback system is disable.

As the conclusion:

If me to ask that it is possible to buy AEG for 200 $

I answer L85A1 by Army.

I respect to China made!

Edited by ernesto

i have problems with this gun:

1.) i went ahead and did the 16teeth sector gear and 16teeth piston as per the G&G L85 downgrade .pdf

2.) i get MISFIRES with the gun in full auto -- no bb's come out

3.) semi-auto is completely non-functioning -- i get full auto in any position

-----i am looking at the trigger and have no idea what i need to fix-- i think it's the trigger because i get engagement as full auto on either semi and full and i need to fix this. also...is there a difference in types of v2 and v3 sector gears. what i mean is are there variations in type of 16 teeth V2 sector gears. fyi, i am using a CA sector gear 16 teeth.

what type of gearbox is this?

observation: funny thing about the misfire is that the nozzle seems to invariably lock into a position that feeds more than 1 bb at a time into the hop up. if i fix this, then i think i can get proper firing of the gun.

have spent quite a bit of time on this gun and have already gone through 2 19teeth pistons (that's why i decided to do the downgrade).

any ideas?

Spring is stock ?

19teeth pistons is stock or аnother ?

spring 1 == stock

spring 2 == M120 Guarder

[replaced spring 1 with 2 the very next day i got the weapon]

piston 1 == stock 19teeth

piston 2 == CA SR25 19teeth polycarbonate piston

[piston 1 chipped (first two teeth) 15 minutes after i loaded a 9.6V battery into the AEG]

i replaced piston and spring at the same time

--------

piston 3 is now ICS plastic 16teeth piston with spacer and CA piston head (recycled from piston 2): design is similar to Redwolf product and as indicated by G&G downgrade .pdf

CURRENTLY: piston 3, sector gear 2, spring 2 are working fine.

now, problem is trigger which stays in FULL AUTO no matter what and misfeeds are causing the bb's to overfill in hop-up and not firing through barrel.

there seems to be some kind of timing issue with piston not returning to position properly after firing (in semi or full auto).

If youve still got a 19 tooth piston then a 9.6 volt battery is a bad thing!

Blowback plate the cocking handle will be glue on for a mk1 and welded on for mk 2 guess they reverted to different box.

But mine isnt EITHER it's a screw on handle with a perpendicular hex screw which you screw in to keep it on, and is in a coloured box.

Still has semi problem occasionally though.

today i will try to shoot the gun with the 9.6V battery. i know personally people who have the G&G L85 (I have the Army L85 and the mechbox is nearly identical) who have used 9.6V in their gun and it works. i have also seen on FilAirsoft postings of people using 9.6V battery and it works. on mine, it has not worked. if it fails (it probably will fail), i will try a 8.4V battery with the M120 spring in it. if this fails, i will put back the stock (m100) spring.

more on this as it occurs....

fyi, since i posted this, i have literally taken the entire gun and the mechboxes apart many, many times and rebuilt them. i still think it is the trigger and will try to contact one of the online shops for purchase of a new trigger assembly.

i still really love this gun and don't mind at all working on AEG's. it's just annoying, this 19teeth piston problem.

if it fails (it probably will fail), i will try a 8.4V battery with the M120 spring in it. if this fails, i will put back the stock (m100) spring.

If the piston fails with a strong spring, a weaker spring would make the piston more likely to break in the R85. And yeah it might work with an 9.6, if youre feeling lucky :P

my mate bought one of these and after waiting a month he got it......and it shot a few times and all ready broke...hes well disappointed its his first Chinese gun and its broken all ready......has anyone else encountered this happening or is it just a really unlucky gun?

To be honest recent QC on these guns seems to have gone out of the window.I was one of the first to get my gun from RSOV & dispite a few people initially having problems my gun was ok & still is.It seems that more recently people buying these guns are increasingly reporting problems.I think if your friend reads this thread he will be able to figure out what went wrong with his R85 & get it fixed.Dispite their problems,this is one gun that's worth the money even if you have to pay for a new gear box.

Right from the start people have always taken Chinese guns as a starting point.If it works great but if it breaks no biggy get it fixed.I think people are begining to expect Japanese QC on these guns & they are disappointed when the gun fails.People seem to think that once they buy the gun no more needs to be done to it,expect them to fail & be pleasantly suprised if they don't.