Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Yes, I am pretty sure they will offer a kit like this.

The problem is that the Army cylinder itself has the wrong size, it's a little too wide! I noticed this when I was replacing the piston head, the gun was loosing a lot of air pressure - because there was a gap between the piston head and cylinder. The difference is very small but you are going to see a difference when firing. Of course, a little wider O-ring could solve this - but the best is to replace the cylinder with a standard type. That's why Powerupgrade is going to offer a full set, so you can replace it all at once, and you won't have to worry about the compatibility of the different parts.

The cylinder head is also a non-standard version, made of crappy plastic with one not-so-good O-ring. The air nozzle is also a non-standard part. You can't buy them anywhere. That's why I can't wait for Powerupgrade to start selling it, because it's going to be probably the only chance to get better quality parts.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about shipping to US? Also, I am concerned with the build of the spacer. It is plastic right? The one from redwolf is aluminum. How long before that breaks?

I have the plastic spacer and works great, but don't confuse quality plastic with chinese "plastic" that is used in airsoft parts. I did ask about the specific plastic type, and it's Ercetal C - http://www.dotmar.com.au/products/acetal/ertacetal_c.htm . As you can see from the manufacturer's description, it's that tough that it's ment for gears. They could make it in aluminum or any other metal, but this would just add weight to the piston (more weight = more possible damage to other parts by the piston). So, using metal wouldn't make any sense at all (pistons are also usually from plastic, just the teeth might be of metal). There is no way you could crush this plastic :) . But, they would probably make you this spacer from different types of metal, if you wish (as a custom part).

As about shipping, don't know exactly - they don't have specific quotes yet, but they will be able to ship to US.

Edited by Killian

I'd think its only the tensile strength and maybe a few other strengths that matters so Im less worried about the spacer than the piston etc itself being the right strength/toughness ratio for 1Jish guns... (No offence to the shop but a brand new brand isn't entirely reassuring as to quality until they get a good reputation... or not...)

Hey guys.

Would you personally recommend me buying one? (to those who have one)

If so, what do i need to be cautious of?

Cheers.

Dude there's 61 pages of advice here all you have to do is read it.My experience has been good so far but there's no doubting that there are problems,61 pages of good reports & problems.

The exterior of the gun looks right,feels right,smells right & tastes right :P .If you take into account you will probably have to do some work to the internals at some stage you will still be left with a gun at less than half the price of it's nearest equivilant.

Sorry if i sound a bit harsh but i thought i'd say it before someone else says basically the same as me with less tact.

RT B)

Dunno what all the fuss is over the spacer to work with a 16 tooth piston.

Get a screw for the piston head 10mm longer than standard and fit a bunch of washers on it. Failing that, a TM piston weight is exactly the right length.

Use a bit of initiative rather than waiting for a solution to be handed to you on a plate. Geez! :rolleyes:

my experience with it is that after ALL of the mods and questions i have with this...that it still costs LESS than a G&G and STAR even with the upgrades/fixes/mods.

and...in my opinion, because of the mods/fixes it becomes a better gun than either of them. total cost so far of all my mods is about $150USD for a gun that cost me $130USD. so...roughly $300USD and in my opinion, a much better gun than a G&G and STAR.

my advice is...if you want a good secondary that is a good gun but but don't find the mods/fixes a problem, then do it. i haven't regretted it because working on this gun for the last few months actually taught me how to do major repairs/mods.

Thats what most the last 60 pages have been about!

You don't NEED to do anything if you don't mind that the piston may well break after a few hundred rounds, also depends on the rate of fire (high ROF=more likely to break in general) and hence on how good the battery is, you could just fix when that happens.

If that'll annoy you in the future, fit a standard piston and a spacer as in the previous pages/G&G guide to make it more reliable.

Could anyone please give me a straight answer.

Is there something needing to be done with the piston or sector gear at a new Army R85. I have heard this and that about it needing modifications. But noone has ever given me a straight answer.

Thx

i don't want to sound rude, mate...but please read this thread from the very beginning -- it is not an old thread. you will learn about ALL the issues related to this gun. you will have your answer restated many times if you do this. but how about this for a straight answer:

change the piston from 19 teeth to 16 teeth but to do this you need to put a spacer on the front before the piston head

if you change the piston, you must also change the sector gear to standard set (remove the sector gear and replace with gear from any standard 16 tooth gun)

do this immediately and your gun will work and last for a long time....sort of (read the pages)

I want to upgrade my gun and I got the piston assembly apart there is a smaller spring and I don't know where that goes. Also Can I replace the piston with a different numbered tooth piston such as this one:

Here are the upgrades I would Like:

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...Pressure/Detail

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...er-Tight/Detail

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...--MATRIX/Detail

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...etal-Hop/Detail

I want to upgrade my gun and I got the piston assembly apart there is a smaller spring and I don't know where that goes. Also Can I replace the piston with a different numbered tooth piston such as this one:

Here are the upgrades I would Like:

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...Pressure/Detail

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...er-Tight/Detail

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...--MATRIX/Detail

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...etal-Hop/Detail

I feel like an idiot now, I found out really soon after that post where the smaller spring went. Also I think that piston doesn't work with it.

I'm purchasing a STAR SUSAT for mine with an army code rail so it will fit. I was wondering what kind of protector anyone recommends for the SUSAT to prevent it from getting broken from a BB hit, or if it is necessary at all.

They are gonna be pretty tough i would'nt worry about it. It should come with a hard carry case and protective sleeve for transporting / storing which is where it is more likely to get broken.

They are gonna be pretty tough i would'nt worry about it. It should come with a hard carry case and protective sleeve for transporting / storing which is where it is more likely to get broken.

THat's what I was wondering. I've just seen optics break on a direct hit on the lense, and don't want that happen :)

Hi dudes:

I have a question.I have read that the problems of this gaun can be solved if you use a 7,2 volts battery.My question is if you take the original battery of the gun and you remove one cell, then ,solve you the problem? will it works?

Well the original battery is reputedly already low from 8.4, more like 8.0v, therefore removing a cell should make it aroun 7.0 to 6.8v... But if that can still run the system that'd slow the RoF even more and therefore make it more reliable yes. In theory.

Edited by Domz
Hi dudes:

I have a question.I have read that the problems of this gaun can be solved if you use a 7,2 volts battery.My question is if you take the original battery of the gun and you remove one cell, then ,solve you the problem? will it works?

no.

don't try it. the original battery will drive the gun but ROF is awful and the bb's simply will not fly far. this is why so many of us use another, better 8.4V battery and have chosen to go with the 16 teeth piston. a real 7.2v battery just won't cut it on a real airsoft game.

When you make the spacer make sure when it fits into the mechbox that the gears mesh with it so it doesn't grind on the first 2 teeth.

If the spacer is too thin, it will break/grind down the rear tooth. If the spacer is too thick it will grind down the 2nd and 3rd teeth.

Depends what spring/setup youre running, if its fairly powerful you might want an "toughened" or however different companies put it piston.

The outer diameter of the spacer is pretty irrelevant- make it thin such that it weighs little but thick enough such that the screw running down the middle fits and such that it won't break under a little tension...

I was looking at G&P which Ive heard good things about. Check the technical section's past posts on pistons and also check on here perhaps

http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/home/content/view/22/26/

although it is now pretty old.