Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After (I´m sorry).

Today I have been playing with the SA 80, and I´m very happy with this toy.The only problem the semi -mode.The rest...perfect.A good inversion

i was using my newly aquired l85 for the first time it was sweet it fed flawlessly using the star low caps i was using a small problem with semi but a quick flick to auto for a few shots and back to semi when this ocuors at least with mine solves this.

Problems with it stopping firing in semi are probably down to not pulling the trigger right back and holding it until it stops cycling.

I.e. doing quick 'taps' on the trigger instead of a 'full sqeeze'.

Because of the longer piston (than a 'normal' AEG), the firing cycle is a bit longer, and if you let the trigger go before it stops itself, the cut-off lever will still be activated and it won't fire again until you switch to auto (which disables the cut-off).

This is how I understand it anyway...

How does that work? I can see how ROF would be bad, but the piston is still getting pulled back as far = same compression, no?

the 7.2 battery is simply too weak to cycle the piston back with any consistency for a long period of time. as the battery loses charge, you 'll see that compression rate wanes -- the cycle has to go back all the way back and all the way forward consistently. the motor will slow down and not pull as hard until it simply won't work anymore.

with a hotter battery, you will obviously get more consistency in cycle for a longer period of time and bb's will fly further out for a longer period of time. with 7.2V it's...it's...well...i wouldn't try it. i'd say minutes of decent flight time before 7.2V runs out of juice.

the 7.2 battery is simply too weak to cycle the piston back with any consistency for a long period of time. as the battery loses charge, you 'll see that compression rate wanes -- the cycle has to go back all the way back and all the way forward consistently. the motor will slow down and not pull as hard until it simply won't work anymore.

with a hotter battery, you will obviously get more consistency in cycle for a longer period of time and bb's will fly further out for a longer period of time. with 7.2V it's...it's...well...i wouldn't try it. i'd say minutes of decent flight time before 7.2V runs out of juice.

Eh? :unsure:

Each shot from an airsoft gun takes a given amount of power. Let's say approximately 70 watts. That power will remain constant irrespective of voltage.

At 9.6v, 70 watts equates to a current of 8 amps.

At 7.2v, 70 watts equates to a current of 9.7 amps.

Sooo....

a 9.6v 2000mah battery will power a gun for 15 minutes of continual firing.

a 7.2v 2000mah battery will power a gun for 12.4 minutes of continual firing.

That's the law!

Specifically, Ohms Law.

bring on ohms law the man is a legend big up ohms

When I see posts like this I do 5 things, not neccessarily in this order:-

1) I assume the poster is spamming to reach 100 posts.

2) I check the posters other posts to see if they're useful.

3) I check the posters IP to find out if they are a duplicate account.

4) I delete the post so the poster doesn't achieve 100 posts with spam.

5) I issue warning points and, in extreme cases, suspensions.

So far this guy finds himself at #4.

I'm going to be out all afternoon so there won't be any further warnings.

If I get back tonight and find Crazy Rich has made a bunch more spam posts he's going to need to find something else to do for the next month.

On with the show. :mellow:

But again, the piston still has to come all of the way back before it is released. The power of the battery won't effect the power of the spring. It's not like the piston will only come back "half way" before being released and thus lose FPS... it has to do a full cycle every shot. If it can't, the GB locks up. FPS should remain more or less constant, it's just the cycle rate that will decrease.

Problems with it stopping firing in semi are probably down to not pulling the trigger right back and holding it until it stops cycling.

I.e. doing quick 'taps' on the trigger instead of a 'full sqeeze'.

Because of the longer piston (than a 'normal' AEG), the firing cycle is a bit longer, and if you let the trigger go before it stops itself, the cut-off lever will still be activated and it won't fire again until you switch to auto (which disables the cut-off).

This is how I understand it anyway...

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=25310

Edited by kalnaren
But again, the piston still has to come all of the way back before it is released. The power of the battery won't effect the power of the spring. It's not like the piston will only come back "half way" before being released and thus lose FPS... it has to do a full cycle every shot. If it can't, the GB locks up. FPS should remain more or less constant, it's just the cycle rate that will decrease.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=25310

point well taken. thank you.

hey guys im gona buy this gun for my first aeg. is it skirmishable out the box. got good range and accurancy yea? what this about that after 100 rounds the piston breaks and the gun becomes useless. they wouldnt let it be sold if that happened

From what i can gather it's the luck of the draw.My guns only problems were BBs rolling out of the barrel when i first got it.That's stopped now & it has good range & is accurate.My gun was one of the first batch in the country,some people have had good guns out of that batch some have had terrible ones.As long as the gun shoots out of the box & you leave it alone i have no reason to believe it's not going to be skirmishable.

They must have at least looked at QC issues by now?

Edited by rolling-thunder
thankyou very much mate

Hi Allgunzblazin.

I have an L85 and it is a very nice rifle, powerful and accurate. I have been lucky with mine, has been reliable with perhaps 6-8000 round through it too date. (am writing this while tching wood and holdin a lucky rabbits foot!) However, if you get a bad one, and I understand that they are arround, then I would avoid as a first gun unless you are confident to strip and rebuild/modify, or you know a man who can. My first rifle was a D Boys M4 s system and what an excelent gun it has been. I would also point out that the L85 has draw backs in use such as mags falling out when the release is activated by contact with a peice of your kit, it has separate safety and fire selector switches so you have to move your hand from the foregrip to the rear of the rifle to switch between semi and full auto. An M4 is far easier to use in all respects.

I bought one because I use the single shot rifle with the Army cadets and looks right with British army loadout. If you do get one, then don't be tempted to use highes voltage battery etc. Keep it standard but don't be surprised if it does let you down at some point.

Adie

Hi Allgunzblazin.

I have an L85 and it is a very nice rifle, powerful and accurate. I have been lucky with mine, has been reliable with perhaps 6-8000 round through it too date. (am writing this while tching wood and holdin a lucky rabbits foot!) However, if you get a bad one, and I understand that they are arround, then I would avoid as a first gun unless you are confident to strip and rebuild/modify, or you know a man who can. My first rifle was a D Boys M4 s system and what an excelent gun it has been. I would also point out that the L85 has draw backs in use such as mags falling out when the release is activated by contact with a peice of your kit, it has separate safety and fire selector switches so you have to move your hand from the foregrip to the rear of the rifle to switch between semi and full auto. An M4 is far easier to use in all respects.

I bought one because I use the single shot rifle with the Army cadets and looks right with British army loadout. If you do get one, then don't be tempted to use highes voltage battery etc. Keep it standard but don't be surprised if it does let you down at some point.

Adie

I'd agree with what has been said,i've put 15-20,000 rounds of back garden shooting through mine now & it's doing ok.Just remember to pull the trigger with a definate stroke & don't just tickle it.It makes sure the gun cycles correctly{it may not but it has definately worked for me}Practise loading unloading mags into the gun & applying the safety as well as religiously checking the magazine is still in the mag well.I used to rest my mag on my right hand ammo pouch to make sure i didn't loose it{i'm talking about the real thing here but this has all the same faults}

B)

Some of you might remember the promised parts for L851 from PowerUpgrade.cz - well they are ready to ship since a few weeks, but PayPal is slowing down the whole process - their account is still not up yet. But it's not going to take more than a few days according to PayPal.

They have a new aluminum spacer, as some of you requested - made of aluminum, indestructible and yet lightweight (5.2g, the plastic spacer had 2g). With some improvements (and it makes a good contact between the piston head and piston, no chance that the parts would move - which can be an issue with home-made spacers).

http://www.powerupgrade.cz/en/vzduchotechn...r-pro-l85a1-NEW

Or as a whole set - piston head + spacer + piston:

http://www.powerupgrade.cz/en/kompletni-se...-piston-for-l85

Description will be up soon (but you can read the description of the piston head and piston on the website).

The owner also told me that a durable 19 tooth piston will be available soon.

A whole new cylinder set will be avaiable in a week (cylinder head, cylinder set + other parts).

I know, sounds like vapourware but these parts are sold to Czech and Slovak customers - it's just the slow PayPal registration (business account) that takes so damn long.

Would a 10.8volt wreck this gun? Im waiting to get it back as the sling broke and the outer barrel bent. When I get it back I would like to replace the spring and piston. To make up for the decreased rate of fire, due to the spring, I want to get a higher voltage battery. Please explain WHY as well, whats going to happen with the gearbox spinning at higher r.p.m.? Would you recommend reshimming it before getting the battery? Lastly, what sized shims does this gun take?

If my questions have been answered already please direct me to the page, i don't like when things are repeated either but 63 pages of conversation is alot to get through. Thanks for any help.

Other upgrade considerations:

Hop-up

tightbore 6.03 JBU 509mm (already bought).

Edited by Adamr85
Would a 10.8volt wreck this gun? Im waiting to get it back as the sling broke and the outer barrel bent. When I get it back I would like to replace the spring and piston. To make up for the decreased rate of fire, due to the spring, I want to get a higher voltage battery. Please explain WHY as well, whats going to happen with the gearbox spinning at higher r.p.m.? Would you recommend reshimming it before getting the battery? Lastly, what sized shims does this gun take?

If my questions have been answered already please direct me to the page, i don't like when things are repeated either but 63 pages of conversation is alot to get through. Thanks for any help.

Other upgrade considerations:

Hop-up

tightbore 6.03 JBU 509mm (already bought).

I wouldn't run a 10.8v without doing some internal work. Guaranteed it would destroy the blowback mechanism, and I'd be willing to bet it will shred the piston as well. I don't think there is any stock gun I would run a 10.8v in, not without a piston, piston head, cylinder head. Others who have actually done it may have better info though.

As for the upgrades I've dropped a Systema 6.04 in mine combined with a G&P metal hopup unit. I found I lost a little FPS -went from about 345 to 335 on 0.20's. After I get a chance to skirmish it I'll see how it does, I may swap out the spring with a more powerful one.

Edited by kalnaren