Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Yeah I guess I was lucky, my stock battery charged to capacity on the 2nd charge, and fired a good 1000 rounds and still ticking. The motor needed a bit of adjusting but aside from that the gun is good after I modded the semi-auto jamming issue.

Since in NZ, we are not legally allowed to use auto, ROF isn't a big issue :) However, power though needs to be upped a bit. So mine has a M130 in it, works fine with the stock battery or the 7.4v lipo.

My L85A1 shoots to the left a bit, so my windage adjustment is half way from the centre to the right. Other issues is piston wear, on the 3rd tooth after 1000 rounds. Turns out the 1st tooth on the piston (the large one) is too thick, causing the 2nd tooth of the gears to rip into the back of the 3rd tooth on the piston. A little bit of sanding on the 1st tooth solved it. had another 300 rounds and it seems fine.

If not I have a CA25 piston ready :).

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, the barrel is straight, take it apart and clear the barrel, then look down it. You will see that the reflection of the barrel will be in concentric rings, that means its straight. (However the flash sider isn't threaded straight)

Its the mountings of the receiver and/or the rail on top that is skewed making the gun shoot left slightly, at least it can be adjusted.

Not that I care really, I have seen KA FALs shoot way off their sight picture.

For a clone I am impressed that their airseal between the airnozzle and hop unit is good.

However, on mine it suffered from the same feeding issues as my CA Steyr, that the mags rock forwards and backwards and does not push against the BB release catch on the mag. I had to bend the sheet metal in the mag well to prevent the rocking and yay now it works fine :)

Whats wrong with your L85A1 anyways?

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Um yep the inner barrel is straight, but mine seems to be slightly too far left relative to the outer barrel is what I meant. You can see more of the inner barrel on one side than the other (from the front looking at the barrel). Perhaps just removing and placing back would fix but Im keeping it in one piece for the warranty.

Piston teeth ripped out I believe. Gears still cycle but no pressure.

Edited by Domz

Yeah if you can find a CA25/G&P SR25 piston that should help, as they are 19 tooth pistons. Not terribly expensive but you need to contact a CA distributor or get someone in HK to get it for you as I did.

As for the barrel, I will see what I can do, from the looks of it I don't think I can do much since the barrel mounts are welded.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Yea, mine shoots way to the left as well. Must be something in the way it's made. I want to run an 8.4v in mine just so I have enough power to more or less avoide the semi-auto locking issue. My FA-MAS had the same issue every once in a while so if it does it every now and then I'm not too worried about it. I primarily use semi-auto so ROF isn't a concern. IMO people who want crazy high ROF on anything but a support weapon are trying to compensate :P

There are really two main things on AEGs that affect accuracy. One is barrel alignment (whether the barrel is pointed/mounted pointed in the right direction. The other is "straightness" of the barrel, whether the barrel itself is warping.

To test the inner barrel/outer barrel for warping one test is the concentric ring test, clean the inner barrel first then, suspend the inner barrel with your fingers one at the front and one at the back, look through the barrel at the circles caused by the reflection of the barrel.

If the circles are concentric (one circle within one circle ring afte ring at the centre) then the barrel is straight and it will shoot "straight" and consistent given the barrel is installed into a good set of receiver/outer barrel.

If its not straight its a "warped" barrel then you will see BBs curving in one direction, or hop up maybe off but the BBs are still hopping up.

Now repeat the test but mounted inside the outer barrel. If the issue is there then, you know the gun will be shooting inconsistently.

Notable BAD inner barrels: CA first generation silver finished tightbore, AGM tightbore on M14s, G&G GR25 inner barrel.

Notable BAD outer barrel designs: AM M4 3 piece barrel, CA Steyr AUG, Star SLR.

Notable BAD reciever/misalignment of barrel: KA FAL (at least the ones I have tested), some ARs.

So yeah, the AA L85A1 I was looking at it today, and everything seems straight, barrel isn't warped and etc. Shoots quite consistently and straight.

I think its because of the front sight. The front sight is a little too much to the right.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Im still looking into batteries for the R85 and I saw a deal for an Intellect Star L85 battery 8.4V 3600mAh on a forum. Anyone know if the dimensions will fit in the handguard? I would measure it myself, but I've left it with a friend.

Heres an ebay link to the battery w/ dimensions: http://cgi.ebay.com/INTELLECT-8-4V-3600mAh...7QQcmdZViewItem

Yours is a systema tightbore or they all have that? I didn't think it had a tightbore tbh...

But yes the shooting left is the misalignment of the inner barrel relative to the gun, not a problem with the inner barrel itself.

No, it doesn't come with a tightbore. I added a Systema tightbore and a G&P metal hop-up unit to the gun. My problem is barrel alignment. The gun is bang accurate -just with the sights very far to the right. Once I can actually get it out to a game I'll find out if it's really an issue or not. If the barrel is slightly misaligned but I can compansate for it with the sights, I don't really care all that much.

No I don't think the STAR batteries fit, too many cells up front.

Looking down the flashider the barrel appears to be too far left but it appears that the flashider is off centre and therefore as it turns leans more one way. Strange. Don't think that'd change the direction much though, but mine is definately shooting left. Hopefully getting a tightbore soon so I'll see if it stops this maybe.

Nah, flashhider is threaded bad. If you rotate the flash hider you will see it spinning off centre, wobbling.

The front sight...look carefully the centre sight pin is actually mounted off centre to the right by about 2mm. This is why it is shooting left.

The gun is pointing straight. After readjusting the rear sight to compensate for the front sight, it shoots wonderfully.

* Magazine misfeeds*

Demonstration - take a marui M16 Mag, put into R85, squeeze trigger...misfeed.

Demonstration 2 - take a marui M16 mag, put into R85, grab bottom of mag and pivot mag backwards, squeeze trigger....misfeed

Demonstration 3 - take a marui M16 mag, put into R85, grab bottom of mag and pivot mag forwards without pushing the mag up, squeeze trigger....will feed and fire.

Explaination: mag well has too much forwards and backwards play/wobble, as mag is pivoted backwards it does not engage the BB release locker. Solution is to prevent magazine from being pivoted backwards.

Solutions: get a small plastic hammer

1) gently hammer the back of the mag well. Test for wobble/fit with a magazine. If does not fit, pull mag well back out. If wobble, hammer a little more.

2) another solution that requires a lot more words....essentially deforming the mag well from the inside.

Pic Linky

Test for fit and feeding and yay it should work with any magazine.

*battery*

To be honest, I can't see an issue with the battery as I am still using the stock battery with my M130. I think get a better charger with a LCD charge indicator is probably a better bet.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

The only other magazines I've tried in this gun were King Arms 68 round mags. Most feed ok, one I had to add a couple of layers of tape to the front to get it to feed correctly.

As for battery, right now I'm running mine with a standard Elite 7 cell 1500mah mini battery (using a connector) -the same ones I use in my G36. It runs the gun just fine, 10 times better than the stock ones.

I've just dug my R85 out of storage,it's been there since October last year when i moved house.I'd already charged the battery up in preparation so all i had to do was fit the battery & fill & wind the high cap mag.I've just finished emptying the highcap that comes with the gun down my back garden & it hits the back fence with a decent strike.Now counting the fence panels i put the length of the garden at about 84 feet long,i then opened my patio doors & fired from the back wall of my dining room giving it another 12 foot at that point.So that's a total of 96 foot with no problems,unfortunately i have no where that i can shoot it further unless i go gaming with it.Even so it's not a bad range or power from a cheap china copy gun.

This gun has had some bad press because the QC on it is awful but in all honesty i must have fallen on my feet with my gun as it's been well behaved so i'm still very pleased with it.

B)

I've just dug my R85 out of storage,it's been there since October last year when i moved house.I'd already charged the battery up in preparation so all i had to do was fit the battery & fill & wind the high cap mag.I've just finished emptying the highcap that comes with the gun down my back garden & it hits the back fence with a decent strike.Now counting the fence panels i put the length of the garden at about 84 feet long,i then opened my patio doors & fired from the back wall of my dining room giving it another 12 foot at that point.So that's a total of 96 foot with no problems,unfortunately i have no where that i can shoot it further unless i go gaming with it.Even so it's not a bad range or power from a cheap china copy gun.

This gun has had some bad press because the QC on it is awful but in all honesty i must have fallen on my feet with my gun as it's been well behaved so i'm still very pleased with it.

B)

It's good to hear. Unfortunetly in Canada it still sucks that we have to pay $500 US for an ACM gun that may or may not work and require another $100-$200 in parts. Ah well, such is life. I'm hoping to get this gun out to it's first game next weekend.