Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...i remember reading that before, can't believe that escaped me :X. Also I think I know another reason too because i disassembled that part with the trigger contacts after the wire broke loose from the solder. I had to resolder it back a few times and install it after. I'll have to take another look. Thanks!

Does anybody tried to install a shorter barrel in his SA80 army?

I only can say that i have done and now, my SA80 works better.

First, I installed a Systema barrel and I didn´t get a good performance.Then , I cut the barrel and...it seems magic.Now , it works very well.

Guys, did you now figure out which piston fits definitely in?

My mate's Army L85's piston broke, and we have to buy a replacement one. Can somebody tell me which one I'd rather choose? Maybe with a link on UNC or WGC?

Thank you guys!

Btw...awsome review!

• 2 weeks later...

Search the previous posts, you either need a spacer (search l85 on redwolf) or an 18 tooth piston...

Got my L85 fixed by AW and it now has their piston spacer. RoF has increased and performs well but the auto to semi problem still occurs sometimes, though less regularly maybe. Its still precocking.

Edited by Domz
Search the previous posts, you either need a spacer (search l85 on redwolf) or an 18 tooth piston...

Got my L85 fixed by AW and it now has their piston spacer. RoF has increased and performs well but the auto to semi problem still occurs sometimes, though less regularly maybe. Its still precocking.

I suppose you are still using the original gear (modified) , don´t you?

I told you this cos´I installed an element sector gear and them,the semi don´t works.Only fire in auto.If you modified the original sector gear,I think,the semi doesn´t works fine, but at least,sometimes, it works.

I would like to ask you, if you know, if in the piston of 16 tooths that you are now using in your SA80, the second tooth has been remove to reduce the risk of premature engagement.

Thanks

Edited by ferdiii

Erm, you might want to rethink that one.

Although "any" 16 tooth piston will fit (along with the spacer), some people have noted that the AA R85 seems to have an upper gearbox that's slightly too wide.

As a result, some pistons will slip off the rails after they've been fitted.

The important thing is to find a piston that's as wide as possible to minimise the chances of this happening.

As for it not shooting in semi-auto, you need to modify the trigger block as per the thread I made on the subject a while back.

Heres the link to the trigger assembly fix if you still wanted it

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...=138257&hl=

Skirmished my ARMY R85 with the AW spacer, works v. well except

1) when not using blowback (random I know) on semi it winds on the first shot and fires twice on the second trigger pull... So I need to follow the link too I guess...

2) Randomly trigger occasionally becomes really hard to pull, switching fire mode stops it...

Okay, well having read through the thread several times since it started, i cant remember seeing anyone mentioning attaching a STAR UGL to this. ( I also searched using the advanced search but still turned up nothing) Now I'm looking at getting the STAR UGL some time later this month, but before diving in i just wanted to know whether anyone had managed to successfully mount the STAR UGL on the ARMY L85.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as i could probably deal with minor modifications but wouldnt have the tools or know how to make massive modifications to get them to fit.

Cheers Sean

Edited by SwatMP5man

Guys, i've just finished reading all of the 69 pages on the subject of how many problems this gun has, I'm a bit down and i need to know, is there anybody besides rolling-thunder who is actually happy with it? I'm just starting playing airsoft and I really want this to by my first weapon

The thing is, it seems a lot of the time, people tend to post only if they have a problem and are looking for a solution... There are some generous people who do the opposite, but largely, if your AEG is working fine, you probably won't be posting into this thread much.

So what you read here is the ###### end of the stick... There are probably many many people out there using their R85's with few problems. I've spoken to a few on site and either they were relectuant to talk about any problems they were having or they were some of the "lucky" ones...

Having said that, last year, just after the R85 was released, I bought one and it was a nightmare. Build quality was all over the place, it didn't want to work on single fire, sometimes when I held fired and took my finger off the trigger, the R85 would merrly carry on firing, hosing down people screaming Hit at me until I could point it into the air and fire BB's at the birdies. The hop was unresponsive. The mag double fed and unwound when inserted in the mag well... And other oddites.

I was lucky. I bought it from a dealer who values customer service (Action Hobbies) and they took it back, swapping it out for something else (long story)...

But, I am really tempted with the offer at Airsoft World...

But, I am really tempted with the offer at Airsoft World...

Having had that gun pointed out to me i was suprised that a dealer was actually offering it.Pleasantly suprised though!

It seems to be a great deal & i think that it's worth the money & theoretically they should have spotted any major problems with the gun when they cracked it open.I'd say go for it,it's a shame to loose the blow back but if you want reliability then that's the way to go.

B)

Thought I would chip in here, as my early release version is still going strong even with the original battery.

My HOP has been responsive. I will admit that my charging handle did fall off and that was replaced but other than that it is fine.

My Magazines fit fine with just the occasional not locking into place, but from using the real steel L85A1 I am paranoid about checking the magazine anyway. Give it the odd slap and check its still there or rest the AEG in such a way that it keeps the magazine in place.

Also I get the odd problem of not always firing an odd round on semi, I always found that this depended on how I squeezed the trigger.

I have purchased the redwolf kit for the piston/gear but have yet to fit it. I am honestly considering picking up a tightbore barrel and the G&P HOP unit not because my AEG needs it but I do like to tinker with my AEG's to know how they tick and deep down I want to improve the performance.

The Deal at Airsoft World is very good and I have always had a good service from them and so have my friends that shop there.

I have have a good experiences from this AEG, it did have its niggles and I except that as I got the early release batch of these AEG's. I would hope that if Army Armament brought out the L85A2 that I should imagine the niggles would be ironed out.

Alternatively you could wait for ICS to bring out there L85A2. At the end of the day you do take a gamble on what you buy, you will on occasion get a lemon. Its a risk we take when we get an Clone or any made AEG to be fair.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by rwoodcock01

Since my fix to the new piston-thing Airsoft world has its performed flawlessly bar firing every other trigger press on semi a while back for a few hundred shots, now fixed itself, and has massacred me plenty of enemies. Looks the part, and cheap too!

My pre-modded one stripped the piston. Since jsut that fix (they might have checked the contacts) and a new hopup packing its been good.

Edited by Domz
  • 1 month later...

I just picked one of these up from a buddy and I've read through the pages in this thread as well as googling info on it. How do you remove the lower gearbox from the body? I've 3 removed pins, seperated the upper from the lower and the screw at the back and it still doesn't release.

It shoots fine, but I'd like to know how to get to it when problems arise.

Guys, i've just finished reading all of the 69 pages on the subject of how many problems this gun has, I'm a bit down and i need to know, is there anybody besides rolling-thunder who is actually happy with it? I'm just starting playing airsoft and I really want this to by my first weapon

Apart from my occasional quirks (no biggies, just the semi auto problem which I do not have the tools to fix myself) I have been very happy with it.

But.. I don't skirmish with it. Still I have fired it in anger loads of times and it hasn't failed me yet.

The only problem I have is with the battery not holding it's charge (I am getting a new one soon, along with a G&G SUSAT).

And I know I've asked before but does anyone know where I can get a L85a2 cocking handle? Also will it fit on without the need for welding etc?

I need a better answer than from some market stall at the war and peace show....

I am getting a friend from Hong Kong to buy me some parts and send them over for my guns so if I can get one from HK can I have the details please?

TIA