Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mine in the last week died, which is a shame.

It dropped of the power after making a funny sound, strangely after taking it apart, the piston is fine the gear are fine but it just makes a funny whrirring quite sound.

After a quick total in replacement parts for the gear box, new motor and tightbore barrel and new hop rubber the whole lot comes at £100 just over.

This leaves me with the thought about getting a new AEG or spending money and time sourcing the parts.

Do I regret buying it?

Hell no, it did its job damm well and I had one of the really early ones into the UK and it always gave me great fun to skirmish with it.

So do I get another L85 or this time a M4?

Hmmm?

Cheers

Rich

The whirling (like an electric drill?) is mostly likely to be the pinion gear not engaging the bevel gear. All you had to do is to adjust the allen-nut pushing on the motor.

You'd benefit from the upgrade anyway. Save all the parts you took out for spares. They should be fine.

Erik.

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Jul 20 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok guy's, i've read through the topic and i've noticed a lot of people say the mag midcaps feed well. I also read the ca mid-caps worked well but mine do not. Who else uses the mag mid-caps and do you use sa80 specific versions? cheers-Hugh

The Army Armament mag-well is not forgiving.

Mags I know that works:

Army Armament (obviously)

G&G

Jing Gong

Mags I know that doesn't work:

D-Boy

Classic Army

P-Mags (mag-well collar too long)

Erik.

Guys, i've just finished reading all of the 69 pages on the subject of how many problems this gun has, I'm a bit down and i need to know, is there anybody besides rolling-thunder who is actually happy with it? I'm just starting playing airsoft and I really want this to by my first weapon

The price of the Army Armament R85A1 is cheaper than the green-fee for a round of golf from where I am. It is of exceptional value and does worth every penny. It only need a little bit of attention after each skirmish. Just treat that as costs for consumables. Get one.

Erik

Okay, well having read through the thread several times since it started, i cant remember seeing anyone mentioning attaching a STAR UGL to this. ( I also searched using the advanced search but still turned up nothing) Now I'm looking at getting the STAR UGL some time later this month, but before diving in i just wanted to know whether anyone had managed to successfully mount the STAR UGL on the ARMY L85.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as i could probably deal with minor modifications but wouldnt have the tools or know how to make massive modifications to get them to fit.

Cheers Sean

The Star launcher will not fit.

Mod required:

(1) width of the front sling mount / foresight mount

(2) the mounting between the receiver (in front of the trigger guard) and mounting block of the launcher. [the two little square dowels that latch onto the original foregrip won't fit into the launcher's mounting block].

Erik.

Really? Mine has a dovetail. Does your ACOG have a dovetail? I'd like to fit an ELCAN.

Regards,

Erik.

It does have a dovetail & i can put the red dot on my M4 as well.The R85 also takes an aimpoint so i see no reason it shouldn't take the ECLAN,if i get a chance i'll check using my mates ECLAN.It's only the Star SUSAT that actually has a problem going on the R85 rail as far as i'm aware as i haven't heard of any other problems.

RT B)

It came to light after I stripped it down Erik.

I have not put it back together yet, I am thinking about picking up another one (later version) and using my old one for spares and the like.

I swapped over to a JG HK416 that has taken a lot of getting used to, lovely as it is I really do miss not using a bullpup design AEG.

My old Army was a bit funny in relation to magazines, it was either metal hi-caps or ironically the HK marked MAG made mid-caps where fine. She was a funny but lovely AEG.

Cheers

Rich

Mag well issue is an easy fix actually, a mallet and a screwdriver fixed it.

I sold my Army Armament L85. It was nice, well made, and has a whole lot of issues that needs ironing out (not more than my custom assembled ICS/VFC M4 CQBR), but I decided that it was not my cup of tea, Ended up with a Star L1A1 instead.

I would someday possibly get it again if they came out with an LSW version of it thats a bit more balanced. Then that would possibly be more of my cup of tea.

Mag well issue is an easy fix actually, a mallet and a screwdriver fixed it.

I sold my Army Armament L85. It was nice, well made, and has a whole lot of issues that needs ironing out (not more than my custom assembled ICS/VFC M4 CQBR), but I decided that it was not my cup of tea, Ended up with a Star L1A1 instead.

I would someday possibly get it again if they came out with an LSW version of it thats a bit more balanced. Then that would possibly be more of my cup of tea.

Evil Dan,

What's your SLR like? I could do with knowing more about it.

Regards,

Erik.

Hi All

at a present day a have army l85 at one year.

Sumary quantity of a shots approximately 40.000-50.000.

Muzzle velocity now (0.2 bb) 461 FPS shooting distance 60 m

Parts:

Systema Inner Barrel 6.04

Systema HopUp Rubber

Systema 6mm Oil Less Metal Bushing

Systema Shim Set

Low resistance wires

Power key BTS 555

9.6 2000mah GP

Guarder 130m spring.

Stock parts: (1 year old)

All Cylinder Set & Gear set (piston changes twice)

Star SUSAT installed.

The conclusion: L85 by Army best chose for best price and good upgrade potential.

06730792i.jpg

Edited by ernesto

Erik: Well not really related to this thread, but I think I mention somewhere Star L1A1 is not without its faults.

Pros:

- Dimensionally better than the KA SLR

- Weighty & Solid

- Shoots very hot OOTB

- Midcaps work well

- Quick swap spring system

- Internals are very good, well shimmed, good piston, airseal etc

- tightbore default

Cons:

- No blowback, nots its fault really

- Shoddy motor, same motor as on the 1st Gen Chinese AEGs/Star M249, its the only motor that actually burns out. Changed to a less Crappy CA standard motor, but ideally a systema.

- ZAMAK receiver and parts, soft aluminium barrel.

- Front section of the outer barrel is not straight compared to the rear section of the outer barrel, makes the gun unsuitable as a DMR, unless front barrel alignment is reworked, a new outer barrel is purchased from Star, or some of my friends have threaded the front section and had the inner barrel free floating inside a silencer.

- SLR uses the Star's red hop rubber which is incompatible with everything else on the market.

After fixing those dilemma, the gun shoots wonderfully.

Doing some testing, the tuned SLR at 470fps compared with a Tightbored Steyr AUG Mil at 450fps, the Steyr AUG is more accurate at 20-30m on paper due the SLR having a very big apeture on the rear sight, however, SLR easier to switch targets, has much more reach, and is quite stable at longer ranges.

But really in stock form its really for longer ranged engagements or defensive engagements, as on semi, it doesn't really have the firepower to provide sufficient rounds down to provide good cover. In my country however it is still too long for close country sort of work.

Well back to the AA L85 :P

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • 2 weeks later...
It does have a dovetail & i can put the red dot on my M4 as well.The R85 also takes an aimpoint so i see no reason it shouldn't take the ECLAN,if i get a chance i'll check using my mates ECLAN.It's only the Star SUSAT that actually has a problem going on the R85 rail as far as i'm aware as i haven't heard of any other problems.

RT B)

I hope these images will explain the problem.

If I mount a picatiny mount on a dovetail, the scope will tilt to one side.

Erik

EDIT: Seems I can't upload jpg images.

Edited by Erik Cartman
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I was just wondering, due to the fact i'm playing alot more CQB which requires the use of semi-auto alot more, whether installing a MOSFET will help sort out the semi-auto locking problem, without increasing the RoF so much that it starts shredding pistons again. Anybody looked at, or tired to install a MOSFET on one of these yet?

Sean

Hey folks,

I was just wondering, due to the fact i'm playing alot more CQB which requires the use of semi-auto alot more, whether installing a MOSFET will help sort out the semi-auto locking problem, without increasing the RoF so much that it starts shredding pistons again. Anybody looked at, or tired to install a MOSFET on one of these yet?

Sean

img484411uk8.jpg

w640.png

img484531ji9.jpg

w640.png

img484621nm8.jpg

w640.png

Hi,

I tried to install a mosfet on my SA80 with the original wires and I couldnt.I don´t know why but I couldn´t.There was too many wires and it seems that this gear is different to an V2 or V3.

At the end, I eliminated all the wires and I install the mosfet.The semi has been cancelled.

Excuse me by my English.I´m from Spain

Cheers,

So you've now got no semi-auto?

What spring are you running in it, and has the RoF increased alot, if so have you had any problems with pistons stripping?

Sean

Now,my sa80 doesn´t has semi.

The ROF, more or less, is the same.

I eliminated the 2on teeth from my piston and now it works fine.I have noticed that if you put the hopup in the maximum position, the piston´s problem increase (the noise) and if you use silicon oil in the hopup,the piston´s problem disappear.

The spring is the original.

Hello all,

I've got a slight problem.

Basically, I've lost the tiny spring for the blowback hook (I know, most would suggest I take the whole thing off) but I was just wondering if anyone here knows a similar spring that I could use to replace it (the cheaper the better)?

The blowback hasn't caused me any problems so far, and I would quite like to have it back...

Cheers (and Merry Christmas).

Hello all,

I've got a slight problem.

Basically, I've lost the tiny spring for the blowback hook (I know, most would suggest I take the whole thing off) but I was just wondering if anyone here knows a similar spring that I could use to replace it (the cheaper the better)?

The blowback hasn't caused me any problems so far, and I would quite like to have it back...

Cheers (and Merry Christmas).

Maybe,you can get one from a BIC lighter...