Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anybody know where i can get an A2 cocking handle for my r85? i cant seem to find one anywhere :(

Right if memory serves the R85 is a clone of the G&G L85, so in theory this should work:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=3213

It's for the G&G version but it should fit, give fire support a ring and see if they know for sure, if not try your luck. ;)

Cheers

Rich

The A2 cocking handle fits the R85. I've done it with mine :P

A bit of warning though, it might not go in straight away. I just forced mine in.

The AA cocking handle screws in/out, but the G&G one looks like it doesn't, so I just popped it in.

Failing fire support, do what I did and get the cocking handle directly from G&G - but it did cost me over 20 quid.

PS: I'm still trying to find a spring :P I don't smoke so asking my smoking mates and they said it'll take them a while

Edited by M4_Fanatic
The A2 cocking handle fits the R85. I've done it with mine :P

A bit of warning though, it might not go in straight away. I just forced mine in.

The AA cocking handle screws in/out, but the G&G one looks like it doesn't, so I just popped it in.

Failing fire support, do what I did and get the cocking handle directly from G&G - but it did cost me over 20 quid.

PS: I'm still trying to find a spring :P I don't smoke so asking my smoking mates and they said it'll take them a while

If your after blow back spring, what about here:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=2356

or Here:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/erol/erol.html

enter product code: "G-10-053" in the search and you get the same result.

The kit should have the same springs.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by rwoodcock01

I feel like an idiot now!

I swear I didn't see those when I googled a few weeks ago! (or I'm blind :P). Thanks for the links.

On another note, anyone willing to sell me their unwanted springs + hooks for less than firesupport + zero one (the cheaper the better, because I'm a cheap b@stard)?

Edit: Actually, I just need the springs.

Edited by M4_Fanatic
I feel like an idiot now!

I swear I didn't see those when I googled a few weeks ago! (or I'm blind :P). Thanks for the links.

On another note, anyone willing to sell me their unwanted springs + hooks for less than firesupport + zero one (the cheaper the better, because I'm a cheap b@stard)?

Google is not always the best way to search, I tend to search directly on the online shop page normally gets me better results.

Been searching ages for R85 stuff as I am re-building my one, using a JG HK416 at the moment, lovely as it is I miss using a the R85.

Cheers

Rich

Hey

Ive had my L85 for about 6 months now. I've done all the recommended tweaks to the mechbox: changing gears and put the spacer between piston and pistonhead. Now my gun decided to break down anyway. Pistonhead had broken apart. The piston had also lost some of its teeth, which shouldn't happen with these mods as far as I know. Teeth were shredded from both ends of the piston. Middle remained safe. Even the single metal tooth on the front had cracked in half.

The problem is what caused all this to happen? Too high ROF (9.6V battery), M120 spring or low-quality piston and pistonhead? Im going to have to buy new piston and pistonhead anyway so recommendations are more than welcome.

Also, would it be possible making the cylinder head longer, thus removing the need of putting spacer between piston and pistonhead?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by wootoow

Prometheus hard piston and prometheus piston head should do. Make sure the angle of engagement is okay to as this may be causing the wear at the teeth to the rear of the piston.

If you were running the stock piston and head thats probably the reason as i doubt they're built to handle an M120 and the RoF 9.6v brings.

Of course I weren't using the stock piston. I had spacer installed inbetween piston and pistonhead and that would've made it quite long.

Point is, I dont want to buy new pricy piston and soon find half of the teeth gone due to too high ROF or something else. Therefore I need to know if this was caused by high rof or bad piston and pistonhead.

Hi,

you say you had the spacer kit installed did you also replace the sector gear, my kit from Redwolf had the spacer and the gear as well? (mine was the version 2 kit redwolf did).

I than used a systema piston head and a systema M110 spring and mine worked grand.

It may have broke if you did not replace the gear as well.

Just a thought as I am trying to avoid working for five minutes. :P;)

Cheers

Rich

wootoow, the best thing would be to buy the Deep fire Titanium V2 piston, a bit expensive, but it will last a very long time trust me. About the piston head Prometheus POM is good, and take the rubber from the original piston head cuz it's bigger. (or find it elsewhere)

9.6v (mean High RoF) + M120 is not really recommended i think you should go for a M110 or M100 spring because up too M110 you may have to get some high-torque stuff in your gearbox (such as high torque new motor and gear set but don't forget taht the spur gear is particular to this Gearbox), you have to choose between RoF and power, mate ;)

i think the spacer still the best solution, getting a longer cylinder head will occur problems with the air compression.

here is my review if you can read french :D : http://www.france-airsoft.fr/forum/index.p...howtopic=105832 (otherwise take a look to my beautiful pics :P)

Edited by zimex

I just took some measurements.

The redwolf spacer is 9.6mm thick. The Marui lump of aluminum inside a stock piston is 7.8mm thick. I think there is answer to your rack gear grinding problem.

I'm against metal pistons as it's cheaper to replace a broken piston than a broken sector gear, or all the gears for that matter.

I bought the redwolf spacer kit but I haven't got round to install it as I found out the sector gear needs to be changed as well. The redwolf sector gear is of the Marui style (looks fragile) as opposed to the "swiss-cheese slab of steel" style. I'm not convinced that it is going to last.

Erik.

I've started to use 7.4V LiPo 2200mAh batteries on both the G&G and Army. One battery will last an entire day's shooting. More convenient than 8.4V NiMH 1400 mAh, which runs out after about 5 mags (I might just have a bad battery).

If you run a 9.6V battery on a weak spring, the gun may cycle again before the spring and piston have returned to "neutral" and as a result, the rack and sector gears crash into each other with the stock long piston and extra gears. I'm not entirely sure whether the space mod eliminates this problem.

Erik.

Edited by Erik Cartman
  • 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

here is a couple of pic from my R85 turned into L85A2 with G&G Handguard (material is really better and the colour too) + A2 style cocking handle

Inside gearbox i have bearings (kanzen classic 6mm), piston deepfire+spacer kit, original spring and sector gear marui.

And inner barrel is a 6.03 Prometheus 509 mm + Hopup (and bucking) guarder.

Thanks to the kanzen bearings i've upgraded the RoF with the same 8.4v battery.

fdea193812f7cc5c20678f1734513b3d.jpg

63d2160e2e207307f39733b26d5ecab8.jpg

Edited by zimex
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh no. RT again. Caught me asking the same question. :D

Let me explain my woes. My ACOG as a bog standard 1913 type mount. It has two bolts. One of the bolt is flush with the underside of the mount. The other bolt sticks out underneath to lock into the groove of a 1913 rail. So, If i mount it on a dovetail rail, the scope is tilting.

Erik.

The A2 cocking handle used is the G&G one, it fits well you just need to screw it instead the old one.

@Erik Cartman : My ACOG fits without any modifications. It's the G&P.

As you are using a 7.4v Lipo battery is it good ? No problems ? I'm thinking about using one too !

Edited by zimex