Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Nice review, just one thing on the A1/A2 mixup; the A1's that I used for 6 years prior to the A2 introduction all had mag catch guards. I'm not saying that it wasn't a mod on the A1, I'm sure early versions didn't have this guard as I too have heard about the dropping of the mags issue, however, it was not a modification exclusive to the A2.

Cheerio

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review, just one thing on the A1/A2 mixup; the A1's that I used for 6 years prior to the A2 introduction all had mag catch guards. I'm not saying that it wasn't a mod on the A1, I'm sure early versions didn't have this guard as I too have heard about the dropping of the mags issue, however, it was not a modification exclusive to the A2.

Cheerio

When i was issued the A1 version there wasn't a mag release guard.It becomes habit to check your magazine is seated every few seconds & to rest your rifle by its magazine on your ammo pouch.The mags that were issued with the A1 were usually cast off US M16 magazines because they didn't have enough SA80 mags to go round at the time.There were a few attempts to build a mag release guard but it wasn't until the upgrade that people started to have them.

Edited by rolling-thunder

Brilliant review!

Far east - could you tell us what happens when you put in a 328fps spring in please? Also are the gears proprietry?

I'd love one, but i'd love to know how durable it is.

Also - the sights being matte, are the same as the originals i have.

Edited by Lance Jackass

Excellent job Fareast, thanks very much :)

Will be interested to see whether it's UK limits or above (and if it's above UK limits will it have the same problems that the G&G seems to have when downgraded?).

btw, dont suspose you know if carrying handle and front sight from a real L85 fit? They're not that expensive on ebay.

Wheeey, I'm a little dizzy after reading this review...

Sub-par batteries are, sadly, a Chinese standard... But as I noticed on the video, the motor is not as noisy as usual - my Cyma sounds like a bloody tractor and the JG G36C is also reported to be horribly loud.

Even if they're gonna ask 100 quid for it here, it's worth it. The Chinese went to a higher level.

That mag thing is a bit of a bummer, have you tried plastic midcaps at all? You can't really bend the metal out on those... Also bending metal mags might cause problems for people using them in multiple guns - if I get one of these it'll be my 3rd STANAG gun.

And is the rail the size of a RIS?

Could be nice for ACOGs.

Edited by DazJW

Looks cook, defo one to add to the armoury!

FYI I serviced many many real steel L85A1's and the mag catch guard WAS one of the mods we had to implement.

So very early A1 won't have one and late A1's will!

Also as pointed out in the review, the trigger spring is visable from outside, JUSTLIKE THE REAL ONE !

Is there supposed to be an A2 variant following this one? may wait for that, however the VCR Act may be in force by then !

Regards

RT

(Ex Regular Armourer)

Nice review once again far east. I have the star also and i might get one of these just for the hell of it unless they manage to bring out a LSW :)

just on another note about the mag release. the original L85 didn't have the guard around the mag release and all rifles where recalled to have it fitted. The L85A1 did have the guard and I noticed a big difference when using both versions because with the guard installed I didn't have to trek back 100 meters to go and pick up my magazine :)

I wonder if the issue insect repellant melts the plastic just like the real thing ?

wow!.. just as well the new servers are done on arnies..(how many people reading! :o )

i to wait to hear about how the R85 throw's its plastic :) but i'd think after writing that lot, fareast is playing..ahem, err..reviewing as we speak...(lucky so and...)

sure he could well do with a little rest after such an already in-depth review ;)

Question is: How do you add the mag catch guard onto the R85A1? Having used the Academy and the G&G L85A1 the mag dropping issue annoys me (like the FAMAS mag issue).

What makes me not want to get it is essentially just that small detail.