Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is mainly for the people who are expecting their R85.I've had confirmation my gun is in poocelfarces depot in Preston & i'm just going out of the door to pick it up.I've been well hit by customs charges & have to pay the thieving Turpins £33.01.

With out going into a debate about the thieving gits how much is everyone else paying,i have heard of someone paying £10 & wanted to see if the charges are similar or all over the place.

I note the tracker is worde than useless as soon as the gun gets in the UK. :angry:

Edited by rolling-thunder

The standard mag it came with fits fine but i have a chinese copy M16 mag and that won't work in the gun. The hole where the mag catch slots into on the magazine is too high up so the feed tube on the hop isnt far enough down to engage the spring release on the magazine. If that makes sense to anyone!

A question to those who have theirs now. What make of magazines are you using that work fine? I need to buy some hicaps as i don't own any armalites.

Cheers

I've had a chance to unpack my gun & i have to say that i'm very impressed with the quality but as yet i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet{will be doing so in about an hour}.

My charges break down as £19.51 for customs.Ok it's not cheap but it's not to bad but here's the hard part for me to put up with considering i have already paid postage on my gun.£13.50 for poocel farce because Keith happened to post it express delivery.Normally they would charge £8.50 for standard import.So Parcel Farce did nothing extra & charged me extra because i paid to get my goods quickly :blink:

My gas affected parts are missing with the exception of the Gas plug & the grub screw is missing for the cocking handle.I've emailed Keith & i'm sure he will sort me out.

One of the many lables on my parcel states it was opened at Customs for inspection,i'd love to know where abouts they opened it as my battery was covered in water.It's all been dried off & the battery is currently charging.My hi cap magazine that came with the gun is heavier & longer than the hi cap magazine that came with my CA M15.I've tried a CA hi cap mag,Star real cap mag,MAG Mid cap mag & they all fit securely & i'll be test firing them in a bit & let you know how it all goes & take a few pix. B)

OK I have had mine out and given it a good thrashing - I like it a lot but a seemingly re-occouring problem is arising: it seems to not like Semi mode, it fire two/three rounds then nothing, so you have to switch to full auto and it's fine!?... Scott - any ideas on this please and is anybody else getting this problem?....

Yeah there is a note with the manual that says about the problem with semi. My box had water in it too but mine was not opened at customs. Must have gotten some free water from China. My ICS hi caps are working well and i have just ordered a rail raiser for my red dot scope. Oh and i didn't get charged for customs! they must like me.

Right i've taken my gun out in the back & slaughtered some weeds.I tried 4 differant kinds of mag through it.

mags2.jpg

From left to right,mag1 AA hi cap mag that came with the gun,mag 2 is a MAG mid cap mag,mag 3 is a Star real cap mag & mag 4 is a CA hi cap mag.

Pictures of the gun

mixR855small.jpg

mixR854small.jpg

& a picture of the gun with an ACOG red dot sight fitted.

mixR856small.jpg

First off i cleaned the gun & the result from first clean was the resulting piece of tissue below

R85firstclean.jpg

All 4 mags fired flawlessly in semi & auto.I did notice the gun didn't like semi to begin with but once it was shooting it fired no problem at all switching from semi to auto & back again.

The blow back was something i watched out of the corner of my eye & the hop up performed with out problems.My back garden must be a good 60ft in length & the BBs hit my garden fence with enough force to please me{no chrono so i'll leave the FPS to someone else but i'm guessing 300+}.I stood by my house which is in a yard 20 ft or so from my garden & shot to the back fence again so i'd estimate the total range of this gun good for 80-100ft plus.It's quite a heavy weight & i wish i didn't have all the hassle getting it but now that i do i'd put the exterior quality of the gun up as hi as a TM or CA model.

I was issued this version in real steel in the army & it felt very comfortable & familiar & well worth the money i payed in the end.The battery is still under going charge & i used it partly charged to conduct the trial.Hardly an exhaustive trial but it give some ideas about it's useability.Now i'm waiting for the sling i've ordered.

B)

I've had a chance to unpack my gun & i have to say that i'm very impressed with the quality but as yet i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet{will be doing so in about an hour}.

My charges break down as £19.51 for customs.Ok it's not cheap but it's not to bad but here's the hard part for me to put up with considering i have already paid postage on my gun.£13.50 for poocel farce because Keith happened to post it express delivery.Normally they would charge £8.50 for standard import.So Parcel Farce did nothing extra & charged me extra because i paid to get my goods quickly :blink:

My gas affected parts are missing with the exception of the Gas plug & the grub screw is missing for the cocking handle.I've emailed Keith & i'm sure he will sort me out.

One of the many lables on my parcel states it was opened at Customs for inspection,i'd love to know where abouts they opened it as my battery was covered in water.It's all been dried off & the battery is currently charging.My hi cap magazine that came with the gun is heavier & longer than the hi cap magazine that came with my CA M15.I've tried a CA hi cap mag,Star real cap mag,MAG Mid cap mag & they all fit securely & i'll be test firing them in a bit & let you know how it all goes & take a few pix. B)

hey bro

Very sorry of the missing parts would you send me again your ship-to address at ' sales@rsov.com ' ? I will strip one from a sellable gun and ship to you then.

Thanks a lot

keith

www.rsov.com

OK I have had mine out and given it a good thrashing  - I like it a lot but a seemingly re-occouring problem is arising: it seems to not like Semi mode, it fire two/three rounds then nothing, so you have to switch to full auto and it's fine!?... Scott - any ideas on this please and is anybody else getting this problem?....

Mine was doing this but its much much better now. I took the top half off as detailed in the manual (careful there is a tiny spring and hook on top of the gearbox) and lubed up the blowback slide as it felt stiff. Since then the single fire has been working fine except for the odd occasion.

Il have to buy another Hicap or two then. If ICS work fine il go for them as theyre 450 capcity.

Thanks for the tip.Every time i get hold of my rifle & try to have a look at it in detail i find myself loading the magazine up & taking it out in the back to shoot it.I haven't figured how many rounds the AA mag takes yet but i doubt i'll be using it much except to shoot in my back garden.I have quite a collection of high caps now,none of which i really want but i use them for target shooting in the garden.

I got my rifle wet today so i've dried it out & oiled it up.I have noticed that when i lower the barrel after firing a BB always falls out,anyone else having this happen to them?

I also noticed in the back of the manual that it says the gun is fitted with "a tighter" barrel.

I had a really bad hang over today after a convivial evening out on the town so i didn't get out of bed & manage to get anymore pix of the gun or me in full kit with an SA80 rather than the M15 i have been using.

What are peoples opinion of the gun with an ACOG fitted rather than the SUSAT?I don't have a SUSAT so could someone with both sights take pictures of the gun with an ACOG & a SUSAT side by side for comparision.I didn't think it looked to bad but it would be useful to see pictures side by side.

surprisingly the acog looks quite nice on it, i still think the susat looks better thou

Yeah i think it looks ok too but i'd prefer a SUSAT.I've just asked Keith if he's heard anything about a red dot version being produced for the SA80 gun.Seeing as i don't have a SUSAT i gotta work with what i've got.

I also have to admit being a bit of a snob,being x reg Infantry & issued with a SUSAT i always percieve none SUSAT guns as being used by second line units & we don't want that because we are all trying to be the best :rolleyes:

I have noticed that when i lower the barrel after firing a BB always falls out,anyone else having this happen to them?

Rolling Thunder-

Yeah I`ve had this happen too. :huh:

I`m gonna replace my hop rubber as my as the HOPUP is not working as well as I expect and I put the BB rolling out problem down to this.

Do you think its a tight bore barrel in your opinion?`Cos I thought although at close range it was accurate at a distance there was quite a bit of spread in the grouping and was thinking of installing a 6.03mm.

Rolling Thunder-

Yeah I`ve had this happen too. :huh:

I`m gonna replace my hop rubber as my as the HOPUP is not working as well as I expect and I put the BB rolling out problem down to this.

Do you think its a tight bore barrel in your opinion?`Cos I thought although at close range it was accurate at a distance there was quite a bit of spread in the grouping and was thinking of installing a 6.03mm.

My hop up is working as i've adjusted it for range.I shot my gun stood by my house & down my back garden hitting{but not going through}a plastic 6pt milk jugs full of water.It hit it where i wanted to & when i wanted to barring the blank fire because the BB had dropped out.I reckon to the furthest end of my garden to where i was stood is about 100ft{good old fashioned 1950s housing with large gardens} & i didn't have to give much elevation to the muzzle to make that distance so i'm well impressed.

I don't have any calipers to measure the barrel but i might end up buying some in the next week or so.

Incidentally,i had to stand about 10 ft away to guarantee the BB to shoot through the plastic of the milk jug.Once there were holes in the jug & the water was leaking out the BBs went through above the waterline quite easily.

Apart from the BBs dropping out i haven't noticed any quirks with this gun yet & i read the manual & it says the mag is a 450 round capacity so that means i've put 1500 give or take through it since i got the gun.

Ive also had bbs fall out of the barrel. It doesn't seem to misfire though which is odd. Im guessing a dodgy hop up rubber or something. My hop isn't that fantastic, i had to wind it on quite a lot to get any noticeable effect. Then again im comparing to TM hop ups which are known for being fantastic.