Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Honestly - when its this easy to fix its easier for me to fix it than go to the hastle of shipping and waiting. ALL my guns break sooner or later, all of them. And they all need maintenance soonr or later so small bring-it-up-to-snuff work like this is no big deal to me.

I've solved it - for now - by putting a couple swatches of duct tape inside the mag well. Mags work nice and snug now. I was just hoping someone had found a screw or bolt to tighten that controled the magewell's inner diameter. Ah well.

I'll probably get some teflon tape later that'll also bond better to metal for a more permanent fix.

As it is with the duct tape I can either get it tight enough for metal TMs with one band or the plastic mags with two bands of tape in there. I've set it for plastic since thats the majority of my stanags.

On another note - no way is this rail 20mm. King Arms Acog - no fit. Guarder reddot - no fit. Leapers reddot - no fit. Elcan - no fit. Weaver 4x scope - no fit. All loose. The R85 handguard? Doesnt fit on any of my other rails.

Putting 2 and 2 together...

I *suspect* its already a 19mm rail on mine. I held up a couple risers that I've checked with calipers and know to be 20mm and they were visibly wider than the rail on this gun. Now my gun was just ordered last week and apparently came into stock at Uncompany the week before, and its in the brown box and has the "better" cycling bolt plate. So its probably a later production run gun. If so, Army may have been reading these forums and changed their rail to be SUSAT friendly right out of the box.

Pre-emptive "woo hoo!"

Too bad I ordered a SUSAT rail from WGC already... DOH.

Now off to shop for SUSATs.....

BTW thunder , don't get me wrong, I love this gun. I tigherned everything down just like I do all my new buys and it needed very little. Once I got the battery in this gun was probably more solid and rattle-free than any other gun I've bought barring the SAW. I'm really impressed, the mechbox could totally explode on me now and I'd still tell you this is the best 100 bucks I've spent so far, based just on the body.

Edited by Hillslam
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW thunder , don't get me wrong, I love this gun. I tigherned everything down just like I do all my new buys and it needed very little. Once I got the battery in this gun was probably more solid and rattle-free than any other gun I've bought barring the SAW. I'm really impressed, the mechbox could totally explode on me now and I'd still tell you this is the best 100 bucks I've spent so far, based just on the body.

Good to know you feel the love.I was issued with the real steel & never had the problems that people have reported.I've gone back to my real steel training with this gun which sort of adds to the realism.I keep my thumb over the Gas affected parts cover to stop it popping up in the way of the sight,i rest the magazine against my hip{or where a mag pouch would be}to stop the mag dropping out & religiously check my magazine is still there every few seconds.You can't get much more for realism.I wont be fitting a Bayonet but i'd probably be checking that's still on the end of the barrel after resting my weapon on a wall.

The gun looks good & feels good.I have a Army Issue sling on it at the moment & i'm feeling very happy with my gun.

I saw a news report from Afghanistan yesterday where one of the soldiers had their gun painted up in Desert colours both metal & plastic parts,it looked quite good but i don't think i'll be doing that with my baby.

Its funny but I do exactly the same checks for the same reason.

Still using iron sights with mine, but tempted to get a SUSAT or just going the ACOG way but I can't decide.

Cheers

Rich

Good to know you feel the love.I was issued with the real steel & never had the problems that people have reported.I've gone back to my real steel training with this gun which sort of adds to the realism.I keep my thumb over the Gas affected parts cover to stop it popping up in the way of the sight,i rest the magazine against my hip{or where a mag pouch would be}to stop the mag dropping out & religiously check my magazine is still there every few seconds.You can't get much more for realism.I wont be fitting a Bayonet but i'd probably be checking that's still on the end of the barrel after resting my weapon on a wall.

The gun looks good & feels good.I have a Army Issue sling on it at the moment & i'm feeling very happy with my gun.

I saw a news report from Afghanistan yesterday where one of the soldiers had their gun painted up in Desert colours both metal & plastic parts,it looked quite good but i don't think i'll be doing that with my baby.

I have looked through a 4x SUSAT & i found it to be ok but you close one eye when looking through it.With a Red dot you keep both eyes open so there's no problems.The sight fits perfectly but at the back of my mind it's still niggling that it isn't a SUSAT.I suppose i'll buy a SUSAT eventually but in the mean time i'll keep hoping that a ACM one will become available & then i'll get one straight away.Most of my load outs are US so i'm not in any rush to add an expensive UK only scope.

I know what you mean, I used to have one eye closed using a SUSAT it did cut off my line of site.

Might well give the ACOG a try.

Cheers Mate

Rich

I have looked through a 4x SUSAT & i found it to be ok but you close one eye when looking through it.With a Red dot you keep both eyes open so there's no problems.The sight fits perfectly but at the back of my mind it's still niggling that it isn't a SUSAT.I suppose i'll buy a SUSAT eventually but in the mean time i'll keep hoping that a ACM one will become available & then i'll get one straight away.Most of my load outs are US so i'm not in any rush to add an expensive UK only scope.

Shouldn't you be able to use the SUSAT with both eyes open, just like any other scope?

The airsoft SUSAT is a telscopic sight which requires the user to close one eye,the real thing is exactly the same & both have x4 magnification which some people think is not needed for airsoft but it just tends to make what you're shooting at a bit clearer & it also means it can be used as a spotting scope.The average cheap airsoft red dot means you can keep both eyes open & have the optical illusion of a red dot appearing on what you are shooting at.Me,i use my Red dots as dressing because they look good but can't be relied on for accuracy.

I've used a 4x Tasco Pronghorn telescopic sight with both eyes open. Why should it be any different with the SUSAT?

Do you know i can't answer that question.I have always been taught to close one eye when using a Telescopic sight & i was taught to close one eye when using the SUSAT in HM forces.I honestly never considered there would be any other way of using a Telescopic sight & not actually having one to hand i can't comment beyond the fact that one eyes view would be normal & the other magnified forcing the eyes to compete.

Considering i could of gone for sniper with my shooting scores & i could knock a nit off a Gnats nuts at 300 yards{i must point out that my groupings were 25mm at 500+ yards & 15mm at 300yard & i wasn't the best shot in my unit} with a standard SUSAT & i did that closing one eye i wouldn't say my shooting suffered but i was always taught to shoot with one eye closed :huh:

:D This really is a fantastic piece of kit and would be for twice the price. Mine was shooting to point of aim after attaching the sights and with no adjustment straight out of the box! :) The ACOG looks very good but for the time being, I'm going to stick with iron sights (as an army cadet instructor, thats what we use on the cadet GP) and wait to see if there is an ACM SUSAT in the future. :D
I *suspect* its already a 19mm rail on mine. I held up a couple risers that I've checked with calipers and know to be 20mm and they were visibly wider than the rail on this gun.

They havent with mine, I have a real carry handle/rear sight and front sight post I bought from Ebay, the carry handle is too tight, and wont fit on at all (I didn't want to use too much force), the front sight post is too loose and wobbles like crazy (most likely will fall off) I guess I could use a filler material (plastic sheets?) but can't be arsed, the clone front sight post looks ok, I just wanted the weathered/used look.

The dovetail isn't a weaver rail though so may not have the cut outs for the screw bar you find on most (all?) mounts designed to fit on a weaver rail so I am guessing (not measured) that the dovetail isn't 19mm as per real spec rifle, I might file mine down to 19mm so I can fit the real carry handle (rear sight is noticeably better quality on the real one than the clone .. thankfully for our troops ;) ) and allow use of a SUSAT if I ever get my greedy mitts on one (clone or real).

I must point out that my groupings were 25mm at 500+ yards & 15mm at 300yard & i wasn't the best shot in my unit

Either you have yards and feet mixed up, or millimeters and centimeters. These results are not believeable otherwise.

-Sale

The dovetail isn't a weaver rail though so may not have the cut outs for the screw bar you find on most (all?) mounts designed to fit on a weaver rail so I am guessing (not measured) that the dovetail isn't 19mm as per real spec rifle, I might file mine down to 19mm so I can fit the real carry handle (rear sight is noticeably better quality on the real one than the clone .. thankfully for our troops ;) ) and allow use of a SUSAT if I ever get my greedy mitts on one (clone or real).

Well the Chinese seem to put either very little or a hell a lot of paint on in my experience. In this case it could be the latter?

Either you have yards and feet mixed up, or millimeters and centimeters. These results are not believeable otherwise.

-Sale

Nope they are spot on mate.We might have been on a 1000 yard range but firing prone from 300 yards i kid you not that i scored the 15mm group & at 500 yards 25mm.If you think that's unbelievable the {for want of a better word}"Nerd" of the unit got 10mm at 300 yards although i can't remember what he got at other ranges.This same kid was either 1st or 2nd in all but the physical side of training.I was lucky enough to be 2nd or 3rd most of the time shooting & class room.

Don't ask me to repeat that now if i could get near a live fire range again,being unfit & to much Coffee will stop me ever being able to repeat those scores again.I must point out from an early age i handled guns in their various forms{air guns real deal}

Out of interest, can the star dovetail rail and gas block be fitted onto a G&G/Army L85A1? If so can they be bought seperately?

Army Code do a rail, not in stock at UNCompany though.

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=7606

Edited by greebo_Brat
Nope they are spot on mate.We might have been on a 1000 yard range but firing prone from 300 yards i kid you not that i scored the 15mm group & at 500 yards 25mm.If you think that's unbelievable the {for want of a better word}"Nerd" of the unit got 10mm at 300 yards although i can't remember what he got at other ranges.This same kid was either 1st or 2nd in all but the physical side of training.I was lucky enough to be 2nd or 3rd most of the time shooting & class room.

Just to clarify;

-You were using the L85 with a SUSAT, right? Or was it a precision rifle of some kind?

-How did you measure the groupings?

-How many shots did you fire and how many did you count?

Mind you, I'm not even questioning your skill at this point, but the mechanical accuracy of most rifles (if any) wouldn't allow that kind of repeated performance. Ten millimeters is an extremely impressive (five shots out of five, measured center to center) grouping even at 100 yards for any firearm. Typical service rifles with standard ammo rarely go below 1 MOA (28 mm at 100 meters or about 110 yards) even with the human factor eliminated as far as possible.

-Sale

Edited by Sale
Just to clarify;

-You were using the L85 with a SUSAT, right? Or was it a precision rifle of some kind?

-How did you measure the groupings?

-How many shots did you fire and how many did you count?

Right,just to clarify.I can not with any honesty say that i or my oppo who did the 10mm grouping actually saw our fig 11 targets.How do i know,because the people in the butts who reported back to the firing line reported those scores to the NCO supervising the range.If you think i was a popular guy & the jolly chaps in the Butts liked me so much they decided to stroke my ego & up my scores i think you'd be wrong.What i didn't mention was my night shoot wearing Respirator,it was equally spectacular but because of the sleet & lack of moon it was noted for the wrong reasons.Misting SUSAT,sleet covered lenses on my sight & Resi i'll consider myself lucky if i hit my target at all in fact to be totally honest i think i'd be lucky to actually hit any target on the firing range.

So doubt it or not,what i got told by the people in the Butts via the range officer was 15mm Groupings with a standard SUSAT & L85A1.Until you questioned my scores i'd never thought anything of it :rolleyes:

Edit: i believe i fired 10 shots & they measured by taking measurements from the widest point made by the holes.

Oh & one other recollection,i wasn't very difficult to shoot the nail out of the hand held targets at 300 yards so the board would swing down & clock the guy holding the target up.It wasn't wise either,no target no final score!

Edited by rolling-thunder