Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

far east had a preview model the battery's were never like that I have to lock mine back with switch you might need to shave a little bit off your dust cover for it to work a bit better. and you don't need to be rough with safety mine is fine it should just be gently pushed. there are a lot of problems with the weapon but for your bucks its worth it as the nearest gun similer to it costs 3 times more.

the hop up slides out of the barrel. its pretty self explanatory.

Edited by Subb0
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware of the dust cover fix, thanks for the headsup on the battery thing.

As for the safety, believe me, i'm really really not being rough at all, i'll take it apart at a later date and see if I can work something out.

I think I gave the wrong overall impressionbefore, i'm actually impressed with the gun's quality for its cost, with the only 'damning' issue being the singleshot/fullauto issue so far.

the hop up slides out of the barrel. its pretty self explanatory.

Thank-you I'll try that sometime. I tried it gently but it wouldn't come out - I didn't want to use too much force in it since (no offence) this is made in China and from previous experience the parts aren't very strong. Gues brute force is the way to go :).

well in the top half of the gun sitting next to the hopup barrel is a little plastic thing with an l shape end (its really hard to descripe and i'm too lazy to take mine apart for photos) that holds the hopup unit in place just move the plastic thing out of the way and gently slide the barrel out (there might be a screw on top but I think thats for the outer barrel (I lost mine there are two though)

the single/auto problem if you switch the say single just fire a few shots and it will sort its self out if not try switching back firing off a little and switching back again (tends to work for me)

Your in luck I found a picture I have (from some thing completely different but my ###### skills in ps can show you roughly how.. Hope it helps to some degree..

r85fl3.jpg

Thanks, I've just taken it apart and well I think it's lost some FPS :/

The teflon tape came off so I got some new ones and replaced it and I checked that everything was the way it was before I took it out. Might of not done the teflon-taping properly (first time I had too much tape and the barrel wouldn't go back in.. maybe this time I had too little tape.

Oh well, going to buy a new barrel and new hop-up soon.

Thank-you for your help :)

You know that white thing where the front TMH pins go through? Well I've just found out I cracked mine... does anyone have a technical name for it and where I can get a replacement? (Yes I am clumsy :P)

Thanks.

Just got mine a few hours ago ^_^

Out of personal interest, do other peoples bolts lock back on their own? I have to push the tension release lever down to get mine to lock back. Again not a problem, just wondering if they've changed the mechanism to earlier models.

Same on mine.

Worryingly mine came in the first batch coloured box. Hopefully its a mk2 nonetheless. Any way to tell except the box?

So far when firing the hopup seems a bit nasty but apart from that so far so good.

EDIT: Erm, my bolt is now stuck back??? It wont come forward beyond where it should slide past the hopup unit.... :unsure: Doesn't look like its stuck on the hopup, whats going on??

Edited by Domz

Try and shoot it again in single shot. That sorted my problem out with the slide problem. It sometimes happens, not sure why though.

My one was from the colour box too but the cocking handle is the solid one.

===

Unfortunately I can't edit my previous post now (perhaps past the time limit) but anyway now my gun won't even shoot properly. Sometimes it just makes a whirling sound, and sometimes the BBs are jammed (has this happened to anyone else?)...

All I did was to replace the original teflon tape (between hop-up rubber and the barrel) with my own one because the original one fell out and that was it. I haven't done anything to the gear box :o. Perhaps the gears have stripped (I've been using all the stock parts and mainly in single shot. Never fired it in anger) (hope not, I don't know how to change the gears). I can't think of anything I did yesterday that might of broken anything.

Anything I should check in particular to see if it's the cause of the whirling sound?

Will try and sort it out on my own but if I can't I'll post in the technical section...

Fixed. I just took the hop-up out and re-fitted it again and it worked. Wierd...

thanks again..

Edited by M4_Fanatic

Wow M4fanatic that fixed it! How weirdly random a fix. Thanks anyway :)

So far, so few problems except that. Semi seems ok and no handguard wobble...

Anyway as for the charging handle staying back: if I pull it straight back it goes forwards. If I pull it back and then down, it stays, or use the lever it stays.

Dust cover is fine on mine.

My safety can be pushed too far but its not hard to push back.

Maybe we have a v3? :P Went back to original box yet not busted... charging handle seems pretty strong even without having done up the hex screw on it yet.

Edited by Domz

Almost all shops would have the new spring and tightbore theyre standard parts, the tightbore is any 510mm tightbore (m14 is pretty similar...)

Best upgrades would be a new standard piston and a piston spacer kit available from redwolf which will make it more reliable.

Maybe a hopup bucking, mine isnt that brilliant but its OK.

If you could find the real laser/torch module you could attach that, otherwise bolting on rails would be unrealistic but possible.

Airsoft scotland has an R85 specific battery BUT if the RoF increases it may break the piston if you dont go for the piston spacer option above.

As for telling if its mkI or II, if the battery is yellow I think its MkI but if its silver it could be either. The bolt was more wobbly on the I and II should come in a plainer box, yet mine came in the coloured box and still seems to be a later version.

Edited by Domz

Mine arrived in a coloured box as well but it's one of the last consignment into Action Hobbies - I thought their more recent deliveries were all Mk IIs?

It has a slight handguard wobble that I've not solved yet (although after fitting the battery it's not quite so bad) and it has the expected occasional lockup on semi-auto. It's basically a G&G, warts n' all, for about a third of the price so I'm certainly not complaining!

It has a slight handguard wobble that I've not solved yet

If you open up your hand-guard and take it off, under the front sight on both the left and right you should see 2 small hex screws. You'll need to tighten them up otherwise the whole handguard/ front site will fall off (like mine :P).

I thought the yellow battery was only there because it was a prototype :S. I've got the grey battery.

You know that white thing where the front TMH pins go through? Well I've just found out I cracked mine... does anyone have a technical name for it and where I can get a replacement?

Anyone please? I might buy all my upgrades all at the same time and at the same place....so I want to know if there's a proper name for it - if I could get a replacement that is...

Edited by M4_Fanatic
If you open up your hand-guard and take it off, under the front sight on both the left and right you should see 2 small hex screws. You'll need to tighten them up otherwise the whole handguard/ front site will fall off (like mine :P).

Thanks for that... saved me stripping it down or trawling through all 50+ pages of the review thread to find it. :)

I thought the yellow battery was only there because it was a prototype :S. I've got the grey battery.

I vaguely recall one of the Hong Kong posters confirmed that the battery was switched to the silver/grey one after it was revied, but is anyone able to confirm for definate if was Mk Is or just prototypes that shipped with the yellow battery? Might help some of us confirm we have a Mk II easily.

Someone posted in response with regard to the battery (I posted asking if grey was standard). FarEast had a pre-release/prototype level gun and that's why his battery was yellow with the funky wiring on the end cell.

My R85 has no handguard wobble, semi issue & the magazine catchpin fell out, so it currently is held in place with a folded up and mashed into place paperclip until I can source another body pin from somewhere...

@Domz - Thanks for the info friend, I take it you are talking about these two items from Redwolf?

RWC L85A1 Piston Spacer Kit Version 2

G&G Piston w/ removed 2nd tooth for G&G L85A1

Couldn't see a 510 precision barrel though... any links for that?

Last question - will the component battery listed above fit the R85, and will it work okay (by which I mean can it go a day on the field without F***ing it up?)

It should work fine yeah, but if it does increase the RoF and you hadnt done the piston spacer kit (top ones the right one btw) then it might F the piston, so probably use the standard free battery until you have the new piston kit in...

As for the 2 items, the first means that it will take ANY standard 16 toothed piston with that kit installed, whereas the second still has 18 teeth (well, 17 with the second removed) which increases reliability over the standard one a little (I THINK,) in which case you could get just that piston instead of the kit, OR the kit with a normal eg. TM 16 tooth piston, which to me sounds the better option.

This is almost all based on hearsay and research over the web though to be totally honest.

As for the 510mm barrel, M16 is basically the same length. For example I tend to use madbull python tightbores at the moment;

<a href="http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=23132" target="_blank">http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=23132</a>

Edited by Domz

Not sure I know which one would be best, also depends on the power of the rifle in question etc. But systema seem quite good in my personal experience but any upgrade one thats soft/for low power should be fine... If you're still looking on redwolf heres one

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...ail?prodID=8519

But just search any site for hop up.

These have already been awensered before in this thread if you can be assed to search. the way you can tell mk 1 and mk2 is mk1 = colored box and cocking handle glued on mk 2 = plain box and solid cocking plate. (they are the main differences you will see. there is no yellow battery it was a proto type (far east said this) and as for replacement parts its all in the this thread.