Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Must say, if you have problems with mags sitting too low in the mag-well, the smart thing to do is to adjust the gun, not the mags.

Get yourself a little blob of plasticine and stick it to the bottom of your hop-up feed tube then stick your mag in.

Take it out again and you should see that there's a mm or two of plasticine left squeezed against the bottom of the feed tube.

That tells you how much longer your feed tube needs to be.

Now cut the feed tube in half, leave the correct gap and then fill the space with JB Weld. Once it's dry you can run a dremel through the middle to clean up any infill.

If I was doing it I'd file a 45° bevel onto the cut edges so that the JB Weld has a bigger area to stick to.

Once you've extended the hop-up feed tube like this you know you've got a gun that can work with ANY mag you happen to get, rather than only working with specially modified mags.

reason why i mod mags and not guns is that i have 3 m4 type magazines guns so moding gun on one faulty mag cause all other mags to fail on this specific gun.. and apart of that.. i have no problem with all my mags except the D-boys metal 70rnds sit too low, but only in l85 and JLS scar.. so moding the guns would not be too smart either, causing all other mags to fail in theese two :-)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say, if you have problems with mags sitting too low in the mag-well, the smart thing to do is to adjust the gun, not the mags.

Get yourself a little blob of plasticine and stick it to the bottom of your hop-up feed tube then stick your mag in.

Take it out again and you should see that there's a mm or two of plasticine left squeezed against the bottom of the feed tube.

That tells you how much longer your feed tube needs to be.

Now cut the feed tube in half, leave the correct gap and then fill the space with JB Weld. Once it's dry you can run a dremel through the middle to clean up any infill.

If I was doing it I'd file a 45° bevel onto the cut edges so that the JB Weld has a bigger area to stick to.

Once you've extended the hop-up feed tube like this you know you've got a gun that can work with ANY mag you happen to get, rather than only working with specially modified mags.

Honestly, it was a lot easy for me to just put a couple of layers of electrical tape between the top of the mag body and top of the plastic insert. The hopup in my gun is metel, so I don't want to even attempt to modify it. Also, since this is the only gun I own that uses STANAG mags, modifying them was a decent choice. I did 5 mags in about an hour (including testing) and it seems to be working just fine.

What is the diagnosis for a new AA R85 which produces reverse hopup effect? :unsure:

BBs take a vertical dive at 30 meters.

I replaced the barrel (the original was slightly bent) and hopup rubber, but no change.

Well, i had the same problem, BBs taking vertical dives at ~ 30 meters, i changed the barrel for a prometheus 6.03, changed hopup chamber for a guarder and the rubber is a guarder too, now it's perfect, the R85 rubber is useless, i didn't try the hopup chamber with another rubber, but you did it and it seems that the hop up sux too, so get a new hopup chamber and it should be fixed.

Edited by zimex
Has anyone mounted an arm code rail to this thing? I just got it and and the rail mounts are completely different.. do you actually have to drill int

o the body of the L85? If that's the case I'm just going to file the damned rail down.

I wouldn't bother.

If you really must fit the new rail then go ahead but, thing is, you have to strip the gun down to remove the original rail so, since you've taken that off, you might as well just file it down and then refit it.

Added to that, there's always the risk that you won't drill the new holes perfectly accurately and, as a result, the new rail will be fitted slightly wonky.

I did a similar thing. I bought a Star SUSAT and Star dovetail rail at the same time. I looked at fitting the rail for about 30 seconds and then filed the G&G rail down (which took another 30 seconds).

Hey rolling-thunder thanks for the news didn't know that G&G would release their own version of the susat, any information about the release date ? Any other information ?

@ Trasher : No problem dude, tell us if it's getting better with a new hopup chamber (be careful i heard that some hopup chamber does not fit it)

I have changed the original chamber hopup of my sa80 Army and I bought a G&P chamber hopup unit.This unit fit perfectly in my SA80, but I cant see that my gun works better with it, so I not sure you must spend your money on it.

Ferdiii have you changed the rubber too ? or just the hopup unit ?

Both things,rubber and hopup unit and the result is the same.I must say that when I only changed the rubber,i could appreciate a better work in my gun,but with the G&P hopup unit, nothing.

Any one have a comparison pic of before and after the application of the spacer kit on the piston compared with the originial 18 tooth piston? I want to double check if I assembled it correctly.

Erm...

What's to check? :unsure:

You buy a normal, 16 tooth piston, fit the spacer to the front of it and then put the piston-head on the front of the spacer.

The resulting piston will be the same length as the original AA piston.

Job done.

Guess thats the problem and I assumed correctly about the length. I purchased a spacer from powerupgrade (nicely made) and applied it on a systema piston but the result was the extended piston w/ spacer was a bit longer than my originial piston. Its probably because I didn't tighten it enough or the piston length of the G&G SR25 one it came with (don't have the originial) is different or the its the piston head. I'll have to double check. Also, I don't know if you received my PM, but do you happen to have the G&G L85 fix guide I heard you wrote posted or uploaded somewhere Stealthbomber? Thanks

Edited by speculator
Guess thats the problem and I assumed correctly about the length. I purchased a spacer from powerupgrade (nicely made) and applied it on a systema piston but the result was the extended piston w/ spacer was a bit longer than my originial piston. Its probably because I didn't tighten it enough or the piston length of the G&G SR25 one it came with (don't have the originial) is different or the its the piston head. I'll have to double check. Also, I don't know if you received my PM, but do you happen to have the G&G L85 fix guide I heard you wrote posted or uploaded somewhere Stealthbomber? Thanks

Overall, the original piston is 10mm longer than a normal one. The spacer should, obviously, be 10mm wide so you end up with a normal piston that is 10mm longer than it started off.

If it's an extra mm or so it shouldn't make any difference. As long as the spacer is 10mm wide you can't really go wrong. :)

The guide was originally posted in the Army Armament L85 thread. You can get it HERE.

Right-click the link and click "save link as" if you want to save the PDF to your PC.

Well i fitted the spacer Airsoft World have in stock, and the only gripe i have is that the end that goes into the piston was too big, so i had to drill the whole larger. Tried the gun out first time on sunday and she performed brilliantly, while replacing parts i stuck an M100 in and she is firing around 325-326fps. So right on the money, got me plenty of kill so now justhave to replace the hop up chamber for a CA enhanced one piece unit i have on the way.

Sean

Well i started today with a gun i can hardly fault,up until now it's had 20000+ rounds through it no problem.After a day of skirmishing it has come home working as well as it ever has,may be in need of a clean but my personal admin tomorrow should take care of oiling the gun & cleaning it.

However....my mate has exactly the same gun & it fired a few shots & gave up.The motor turned but the piston wasn't cycling.The general opinion was the motor needed adjusting & it would work ok once again.I saw two other R85s as well today & they were still going strong at the end of the day.

Chinese Quality control <_<

RT B)

Edited by rolling-thunder

Does anyone have a definitive takedown guide for the lower half of the gearbox? I assembled my gearbox, but the gears make a very distinct clicking/winding sound (similar to the sound a wind-up toy when you wind it up) when the gears spin. It's definitely my anti-reversal latch, but I have no clue why it would do that. Thanks

ok, after stripping it apart, aligning it again, and regreasing it now sounds fine. However, after putting the gun back together, the single shot no longer works (its upgraded with a spacer kit + new sector gear). Help? BTW I think my gun hates me... lol even though I built an entire "authentic" british loadout because it.

Edited by speculator