Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the pep talk, I just ordered mine off wgc, hopefully I'll be lucky and not get a lemon, regarding upgrades/spare parts, from what I managed to find out from G&G, I've asked them about the l85 so it's the same thing, google searches and the like, I've found out that the hop-up like any m16/m4 hop-up, the barrel is 500-ish mm, redwolf has the spacer upgrade w/wo the sector gear, G&G makes a reinforced piston head, they say that they make a reinforced piston G-10-056, this one, however the pic on the website looks like any other 16 teeth piston, the person I talked to, assured me that it will fit the weapon, the spring guide apparently is a ver.3 one though I'm not sure.

If anyone wants to add something or to correct me please do.

• 2 weeks later...

so finally i have puchased brand new cylinder head for L85 from power upgrade it is very well machined. they produce teflon coated cylinders for this gun and air nozzle with double o ring. i have not tested this cylinder head yet but it extremly sturdy. Great news .. finally someone produces aftermarket upgrade parts for this beauty .. standard cylinder head is *suitcasey* plastic.. this one has double o rings and looking very good. I think power upgrade is finally shiping from czech republic also to other countries but i am not sure about that

329.jpg

and teflon coated cylinder

279.jpg

and air nozzle

229.jpg

I just picked one of these up from a buddy and I've read through the pages in this thread as well as googling info on it. How do you remove the lower gearbox from the body? I've 3 removed pins, seperated the upper from the lower and the screw at the back and it still doesn't release.

It shoots fine, but I'd like to know how to get to it when problems arise.

You have had a look at

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...st&id=25713

right ?

• 2 weeks later...

Having chrono'ed my L85 at F&O last sunday (6th July) itwas firing at 240fps, pretty low considering thats it got an M100 fitted with an element piston and head. So i bought a new spring and relubed the piston head and chrono'd it this sunday only for it to be shooting 304fps, now having conferred with another owner of one of these, it seems that the cylinder is too wide for almost all standard piston heads.

What im now looking to do is IIRC get a PSG1 cylinder as i was told its the same length but a standard bore, or buy the entire cylinder set from the czech website, even with language barrier(all emails are in czech).

Sean

Got another one today as i wanted a second gun. It chronoed at 350fps out of the box. All bb's were feeding fine using a 9.6v battery and ca mid-caps, changed to heavier .25 ammo and now it's started mis-feeding although it doesn't really do it with the heavier ammo and the original mag. I've read somewhere that the ca mid-caps were fine in this gun. Why could this be miss-feeding?

Also, the gun seems to continue to fire in full auot for around 6-10 shots after you let off the trigger? I have searched but not found an answer. cheers-Hugh

Edited by hugh_b

Never had or heard of that problem! Had it once on my ICS MP5 when the trigger block inside the mechbox was too tight and caught the contacts together and didn't let go, I'd have a look there if you understood any of what I just said... or send back and get them to do it!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i ordered a shedload of custom upgrade bits from powerupgrade.cz 7 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived, so that was £60 well spent. I decided to order some bits from Redwolf with the help of Fung at gunnerairsoft, i order the DeepFire 500mm to 750mm cylinder, G&P SR-25 piston and a Systema M110 spring, hopefully this'll help up the fps on ym beauty.

She was firing at 260fps with an M100 but due to the oversized bore of the cylinder and standard TM piston head there was massive air leakage. With the pitiful fps and a Guarder hop unit i was still getting a greater range than that of a teammate with a stock AA L85 firing 350fps.

is there something that goes in the handle

...clarify? There are... screws... to hold it on... :P

ANYWAY

Used mine at Ground Zero Weekender and it functioned really really well! Took other guns because I expected it to suck but I ended up using it for EVERY game! Had installed a new guarder hopup bucking, one was designed for a SP130, but it worked fine on my stock fps l85, just harder to set the hopup initially.

My L85 now has the airsoftworld/scotland upgrades and it worked well so I'd recommend it- before that it broke the stock piston in a few games.

Range was good. I was still using the original hopup unit (because the guarder needed the bar on the side which clips on to the body is too long and I didn't have a file or whatever) but it was OK. Accuracy: I may install a tightbore still, as shots tended to spread out.

Bizzarely the hopup and functioning changed: it seemed to me that when recoil was enabled the single shot worked better.

Often with it disabled if I pull the trigger lightly or sometimes even when doing a full trigger pull the gears will wind back but the shot Won't Fire, but then on the next trigger pull it fired twice. Strange...

With the recoil enabled this didn't happen. :?

So hooray, it worked well but for the occasional strange semi not firing for a shot then firing twice...

If anyone has any idea what's going on there it could be helpful!

BTW I also found my L85 is firing down at 260 (but with .23g BBs). Stock cylinder but AW piston, dunno if they put in a new piston head too.

Lastly, the 5:2 configuration battery fits in my L85 as well or better than the 6:1 from AW. -Put in in this config with lines being batteries, barrel end being the far end: ||||| =

Edited by Domz
  • 2 weeks later...

Well mine in the last week died, which is a shame.

It dropped of the power after making a funny sound, strangely after taking it apart, the piston is fine the gear are fine but it just makes a funny whrirring quite sound.

After a quick total in replacement parts for the gear box, new motor and tightbore barrel and new hop rubber the whole lot comes at £100 just over.

This leaves me with the thought about getting a new AEG or spending money and time sourcing the parts.

Do I regret buying it?

Hell no, it did its job damm well and I had one of the really early ones into the UK and it always gave me great fun to skirmish with it.

So do I get another L85 or this time a M4?

Hmmm?

Cheers

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got the Nozzel, Cylinder and Cylinder Head.

The nozzel does not fit on the new cylinder head but fits the stock cylinder head fine.

It has stabilised the FPS readings i was getting but still i seem to have a massive air leak ( explain how in stock format these hit 350fps and after conversion they lucky to hit 320fps)

Has for the cylinder, whats to say it's a cylinder :/

• 2 weeks later...

If it was in stock format you have been very lucky for it to last :)

Anyway, I've now fitted the high speed guarder motor with a m100 and changed the piston, it's currently out putting 20rds @ 345fps give or take 2 fps with the hop off, the replacement nozzle seems to have stabilized the fps.

Think the low fps results i was getting before was due to short stroking the piston by 2 teeth.

I've changed the hop unit for a Element hop unit ( had to trim the side parts of the hops unit down ) and fitted a guarder clear hop rubber which seem to give far better results.

Edited by Apex

With the new custom parts i got from Powerupgrade, i have seen a massive increase in fps and a slight increase in rate of fire. Before installing the new parts i was getting 270fps with an m100 and around 11rps. Since installing them i'm now getting 380fps with the same spring and im getting around 14rps over an average 5 second burst.

Due to me playing more CQB at the SWAT Urban site, ill be downgrading it to 330fps with will hopefully increase reliability a fair bit.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...
Having chrono'ed my L85 at F&O last sunday (6th July) itwas firing at 240fps, pretty low considering thats it got an M100 fitted with an element piston and head. So i bought a new spring and relubed the piston head and chrono'd it this sunday only for it to be shooting 304fps, now having conferred with another owner of one of these, it seems that the cylinder is too wide for almost all standard piston heads.

What im now looking to do is IIRC get a PSG1 cylinder as i was told its the same length but a standard bore, or buy the entire cylinder set from the czech website, even with language barrier(all emails are in czech).

Sean

I've replaced mine with a Systema aluminum bearing piston head and an unknown brand Chinese aluminum (full teeth) piston of the correct length and 1st tooth of the rack gear not removed. It is not as air tight as the original rubbish white vinyl piston head, but still giving a good air-seal. The Systma o-ring is expanding sufficiently by the vented air as the piston goes forward.

As I understand, all PSG-1 pistons are of the half-gear variant. So, don't use it. I've also examined the G&P SR25 rack gear. The pitch (i.e. spacing) of the gears is not the same as that of the Army Armament. Therefore, I don't expect it to mesh well with the sector gear.

Do not use a PSG-1 spring as PSG-1s are not designed for full-auto.

Erik.

Edited by Erik Cartman