Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Here is Stealthbomber's repair and modification guide for the G&G L85, it also works just as well for the R85 clone. Mine is working fine, since I carried out the piston replacement, except that semi-auto fires full auto, not a big problem. Blowback is enabled on mine.

http://www.man.pozna...G_L85_guide.pdf

Thanks, I read this article now, i hope fix it

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the article refers to Tokyo Marui, is TM?

Yes when the article says "replace the sector gear and piston with TM" it means Tokyo Marui or compatible. The different references to TMH mean the Trigger Mechanism Housing (=lower receiver).

• 2 months later...

I would like to buy a silent head for my r85 but dont know which version i need anyone can help V2 or V3? (http://www.cobraairsoft.com/images/mid/PA-IN0810-ELM.JPG)

ps: for those that might have misfires i found out that for a reason the mag was not getting totally locked in place when inserted, gave it one round of tape at the top under the mag lock and problem solved

• 2 months later...

Hey, just bought a R85.<br /><br />one thing I am wondering about though... I do not know what the part is called but the barrel like thing that is visible when you open the green hatch on top of the gun, connected to the front iron sights, running along the weapon above the actual barrel, is that in any way loose? Can you wiggle it a bit? I can also spin all the tubes around. They aren't locked in place. (they won't come off or anything, they're just quite loose)

Edited by nifisk

Hey, just bought a R85.<br /><br />one thing I am wondering about though... I do not know what the part is called but the barrel like thing that is visible when you open the green hatch on top of the gun, connected to the front iron sights, running along the weapon above the actual barrel, is that in any way loose? Can you wiggle it a bit? I can also spin all the tubes around. They aren't locked in place. (they won't come off or anything, they're just quite loose)

It's the fake gas tube.

alright, i see. there is another issue though, the Semi-auto firing... The Semi Auto sometimes Jams, which forces me to switch to Full Auto and fire about 3-4 shots and then switch back to Semi in order to fix it. I understand that the silvery button inside the magazine compartment is supposed to "reset" the gun, but all it does is to make a subtle whirring sound and the Semi-auto still jams. Is this also normal?

Edit: The Full Auto has not jammed at all.

Edited by nifisk

alright, i see. there is another issue though, the Semi-auto firing... The Semi Auto sometimes Jams, which forces me to switch to Full Auto and fire about 3-4 shots and then switch back to Semi in order to fix it. I understand that the silvery button inside the magazine compartment is supposed to "reset" the gun, but all it does is to make a subtle whirring sound and the Semi-auto still jams. Is this also normal?

Yup,very common fault.I have one of the first guns in the country & mine still works.The problem with the gun jamming on semi auto it well known which is why i've never fired mine on semi auto.I lost track of the BBs i've put through the gun but half a million plus isn't over stating things.

even after changing the piston i still had the problem you must be lucky when you pull the trigger and the gear has made a complete cycle in order to avoid misfire, but its not that bad once you get used on how to change it just dont switch to single if your about to ambush someone, trust me is not nice to pull the trigger and here the "click" XD

In Chinese, they said that you need to switch to full-auto and fire a few shots if semi-auto jams on a sticker on the manual somewhere IIRC.

It is a common thing. XD

You just need to remove the pre-wind and blow-back feature for the semi-auto to stop jamming.

alright, I see :) I do not have time to open my gun and remove the blowback feature tonight because i am going skirmishing tomorrow morning... But if I pull the blowback back to lock it, is that essentially the same as having it removed?

The hop-up adjust will be visible so i will need to be careful not to get dirt in there of course... Im just wondering cause I don't want to skirmish with Blow Back enabled, less wear and tear on the gun that way so I hope simply pulling it back will be sufficient to prevent damage

Edited by nifisk

alright I've researched quite a bit now and it seems everyone has different oppinions on wether the blowback actually damages the internals or not.

Some people claim that the blowback doesn't damage the weapon at all, only that it drains slightly more battery power.

Some people claim the blowback will ultimately murder the internals of the gun and disabling blowback is a must. Is anyone here completely sure about how it is?

Edited by nifisk

My gun has had about 500,000 + BBs through it with the blow back enabled for every round with no apparent damage so far but then the forum has seen users not even get a BB off or they have stripped the gears in an afternoons skirmish.

All i'll say is that some guns are good,some like mine are great but the Lemon rate for these guns is extremely high.Leave your blowback enabled but understand the risk that something might go wrong with your AEG is much higher with the Blow Back enabled than if you disable it.Also,how you use the gun will affect it's life as will your care regime.

I love my AEG but i can't help feeling that everytime i use it might be the last.I'm seriously thinking of buying the AERES version & retiring my AA R85 while i'm ahead.

Edited by rolling-thunder

I see. I've now removed the blowback by removing a small spring and hook from the top of the gearbox. The Blow-back feature on my gun is now disabled. However, the blowback also let me know if the status of the spring inside. How can I be sure the spring inside is completely extended when I am not using the gun?

I see. I've now removed the blowback by removing a small spring and hook from the top of the gearbox. The Blow-back feature on my gun is now disabled. However, the blowback also let me know if the status of the spring inside. How can I be sure the spring inside is completely extended when I am not using the gun?

If you look inside the magwell there's a Silver arm protruding.Press that & you will hear the spring being released if it needed it.

There are more pieces to remove in order to completely remove it.

But you have more time later.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems my gun fires around 300fps, chronoed it earlier. However, the hop up adjust doesn't seem to have that much of an impact on how the bb flies. Should I replace my rubber or is there something else I can do? I've used the gun in approx 4 skirmishes. (around 10 hi-cap magazines).

It seems my gun fires around 300fps, chronoed it earlier. However, the hop up adjust doesn't seem to have that much of an impact on how the bb flies. Should I replace my rubber or is there something else I can do? I've used the gun in approx 4 skirmishes. (around 10 hi-cap magazines).

It may be that it is missing a hop-up nub and is being pushed down by only a arm.

I would take it apart first to check.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many people here, I seem to have the jamming on semi auto problem. Is there any solution to this problem? I love this gun, but have never been a fan of just mindlessly spraying on auto. Any ideas whatsoever? I'm prepared to do a lot of rewiring, and even buy the odd spare part. Maybe some way of using the fully auto part of the gearbox, but with the trigger cutting out after 1 shot? Thanks