Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Like many people here, I seem to have the jamming on semi auto problem. Is there any solution to this problem? I love this gun, but have never been a fan of just mindlessly spraying on auto. Any ideas whatsoever? I'm prepared to do a lot of rewiring, and even buy the odd spare part. Maybe some way of using the fully auto part of the gearbox, but with the trigger cutting out after 1 shot? Thanks

Mosfet :D

Dream army ones are only £$11or $13 shipped from KHM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if I just use the stock long piston and a Ver. 2 sector gear? Would that be sufficient to increase the reliability? I don't have the resources to go get a Ver2. piston and source a 10mm spacer and screw.

The longer piston means that the last tooth the sector gear touches is not going to be metal... it will have big negative effect on reliability(last tooth is the one that is very important to have in metal due to its size and position).

You can modify the piston to be shorter by moving the metal tooth back.

Don't know if this is a serious issue I can fix or not... The spring release button inside the mag holder seems to be constnatly pressed down. I can't press it (it's solid, as if it's constantly pressed) and almost always when I fire I get this whirring sound after I fire a BB (as if I'd have pressed the spring release button, even though I haven't). The gun seems to work fine despite this issue but I don't know if there's anything I can do to fix it. I tried opening it to see if there was any visible errors but I couldn't see anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't know if this is a serious issue I can fix or not... The spring release button inside the mag holder seems to be constnatly pressed down. I can't press it (it's solid, as if it's constantly pressed) and almost always when I fire I get this whirring sound after I fire a BB (as if I'd have pressed the spring release button, even though I haven't). The gun seems to work fine despite this issue but I don't know if there's anything I can do to fix it. I tried opening it to see if there was any visible errors but I couldn't see anything.

Sounds like your spring release lever really IS jammed in the "release" position. IIRC the lever depresses the anti-reversal latch inside the gearbox, thus letting the spring go forward if compressed. The whirring sound after firing, is the same sound and the same thing you get if your anti-reversal latch is broken or otherwise not working. Try holding the AEG upright in one hand with the magwell facing you, and then reaching up into the front of the magwell with an index finger. Curl the tip of the finger around the front of the release lever and under the top end of it, and try to pull it towards you, gently, away from the hop-up - the opposite direction to easing the spring, where you push it up towards the hop-up. The lever should rock up and down about 3-4mm. It is lightly sprung. I cannot recall how it is sprung but maybe your spring is weak, broken or disengaged. Hopefully if you pull the lever down it will disengage from the anti-reversal latch and allow it to work properly.

The Stealthbomber G&G L85 repair and modifications guide is a 'must have' for the G&G and AA SA80s. They are quite easy to work on. I did my own piston spacer work using it, couple of years back and use the AEG regularly. Before that, the piston kept stripping. Since then it has been reliable, although it fires full auto in semi. Some say this happens when the spacer piston mod is done, tho Stealthbomber posted how to fix it by filing some part of the mechanism believing it was due to wear, but it's a bit tricky and I can tap off single shots whenever I want. I have the blowback enabled have had no problems with it, except it is easy to lose the little spring if it falls out when you are stripping the weapon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...