Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it wont. i know plenty of people who are fully capable of skirmishing with stock TM guns, putting about about 280 fps. and they are ALWAYS far better players than the ones that rely on upgrades to get kills.

as somebody else said, you could stick a tightbore in it, a 20 minute job at most, not difficult, and it will apparently be an awesome gun. you dont need to put a bigger spring in it unless the sites you play at our playing above the legal limit.

Oh yeah... 280fps isn't too bad after all - for some bizarre reason I thought it shot a lot less :blink: Should be mighty accurate with that long barrel as well.

Also it looks very easy to put a bigger spring in it (if you wanted too)... How many gearboxes come apart in a top and a bottom half like that? And if the blowback was disconnected that would up the FPS too right (is it attatched directly to the piston?)

Edited by The Taurus
Oh yeah... 280fps isn't too bad after all - for some bizarre reason I thought it shot a lot less  :blink: Should be mighty accurate with that long barrel as well.

Also it looks very easy to put a bigger spring in it  (if you wanted too)... How many gearboxes come apart in a top and a bottom half like that? And if the blowback was disconnected that would up the FPS too right (is it attatched directly to the piston?)

im sure ive said this before, it shouldnt affect the FPS as the bolt is pulled back with the piston it doesnt put any resistance on the piston going forward again. it might decrease ROF but the bolt probably isnt very heavy so i doubt it would have much effect.

and i thought the only gun to have a precompressed spring was the TM PSG1

Nice review there FarEast. Congrats on the family and your continuing patience within this thread.

I have a G&G L85A1 which is now working quite flawlessly and I shall add my comparision here.

From the pics that FE kindly added, the Army does indeed appear to be a complete direct copy of the G&G. The gearbox internals are not of shiny black plastic as are the G&G, but I am sure this doesnt make them any less functional.

Odd thing about the power.....

The G&G come stock at circa 390fps (which is very hot for the UK) and replacement of the spring to a 1J item caused all the problems. The lighter spring increased the ROF and the increased ROF caused the gears to shred (due to the precise tolerances if G&G are to be beleived).

Basically, the increased ROF wasnt allowing the piston head to go fully forward before the sector gear tried to re-engage the piston resulting in a spring pushing forward/sector gear pulling back moment which knacked the gears.

This scenario also happened if you tried to use a 9.6v battery.

Which is why I dont quite understand, that if this is a direct copy with the 18 tooth gearset, it doesnt break using the 8.4 battery and low power spring. But anyway, its proven to work, so who cares.

The G&G problem of gear stripping can be fixed by adding a standard TM (or equivalent) Sector gear and piston (16 tooth) and a 10mm spacer (which can be either made, or purchased from Redwolf for about $20). If you wish to retain the pre-cocked function of the G&G then you need to file some teeth off of the G&G sector gear.

This has been done to mine, and its now worked quite happily for a number of hard skirmishes. Which is infinitely longer than when I first got it, which was less than 50 rounds a time (I kid you not).

The Blowback mechanism, whilst disabled on mine (nice touch, but I am not all that bothered about it) does function perfectly. The problems arose when the small plastic catch that operates the blowback snapped and the resulting debris dropped into the gearbox through the large hole on the top, getting stuck in the gears and causing them to jam.

This has been fixed on all new G&G's by the addition of a small plate that covers up the hole which the blowback operates. I assume the Army one has this feature too.

All in all, the Army one looks to be an absolute bargain, and even if it does suffer from the same ills as the G&G, they have been sorted out thanks to all us G&G R&D researchers. Sale and StealthBomber should get special mention at this point.

The fixes are quick and cheap.

Sick as a parrot because I bought the expensive version.... Definitely.

Still, hopefully there will be a red-dot SUSAT in the pipeline and maybe even an aftermarket mag catch shroud to stick on the A1 versions.

I have a normal Aimpoint mounted on my G&G and it went on with no modification what so ever.

Which is why I dont quite understand, that if this is a direct copy with the 18 tooth gearset, it doesnt break using the 8.4 battery and low power spring. But anyway, its proven to work, so who cares.

Perhaps the lower the spring, the slower the piston goes forward (sounds very basic) - so this gun could potentially still die, if you just drop in a 328fps spring?

Perhaps the lower the spring, the slower the piston goes forward (sounds very basic) - so this gun could potentially still die, if you just drop in a 328fps spring?

no, the problem with the G&G was that downgrading it increased the ROF, you would be upgrading this therefore actually decreasing rof

no, the problem with the G&G was that downgrading it increased the ROF, you would be upgrading this therefore actually decreasing rof

Dropping a 1J spring in would not cause any problems as it would just be returning the spring quicker.

With the G&G as you put in a lower powered spring, the piston returned slower and the sector gear had already gone all the way round to pull it back again before the piston had gone all the way forward.

Edited by SwatMP5man
The Blowback mechanism, whilst disabled on mine (nice touch, but I am not all that bothered about it) does function perfectly. The problems arose when the small plastic catch that operates the blowback snapped and the resulting debris dropped into the gearbox through the large hole on the top, getting stuck in the gears and causing them to jam.

The R85 version is made out of steel.

Far East could you test the R85 with a 9.6v Batt?

Thanks for the great review(s)

Already done and no problems what so ever! around 1000 rounds passed through it on a fully charged 9.6v battery.

Cheers for this great review fareast, you have been the first person to get round my reasons why not to own a sa80.....

Im not up to speed on AEG internals and what battery can fit etc, can you suggest to me with a link to the 8.4 or 9.6 batts that would fit in this gun - i just preordered one from keith at rsov and will be wanting to take this out next skirmish.

P.S. anyone know where i can get metal midcaps from to use in this gun? i have a m14 so dont feel like having seperate mags for each :blink:

Just for information..

9.6v batteries do fit. The two end cells are side by side longitudinally. Its a squeeze, but they fit.

Been running one in my G&G version for a while now.

Glad to see the Army one is holding up. Even sicker than a parrot now....

P.S. anyone know where i can get metal midcaps from to use in this gun?

Well, I'm not sure what country you're in so I can't really say a good retailer for you, but G&P midcaps and those 160 round ones I saw a thread about in general discussion (forget the name, but you can take a look) are both pretty decent.

Edited by otherrandomhero