Gas Gun Reccommended Gas Thread

Marlowe

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had several GBBs in my possession, so I'll add a list and their muzzle velocities with .2g BBs and the different gases. I used a Chrony alpha model chronograph to conduct my velocity tests.

KSC USP .45 Full Size: TOP GAS (315 FPS) - worked in mine until the plastic slide broke after 4,000 shots but the internals held up, so for long term durability buy a metal slide or use HFC134 (240 FPS)

KJW M9: TOP GAS (305 fps) - recommended, HFC134 (230 FPS) - works, but performance is lost

WE M1911: TOP GAS (290 FPS) - recommended, RED GAS (340 FPS) - works great, HFC134 (230 FPS)- hardly works

KJW G23: TOP GAS (255 FPS) - recommended, HFC134 (180 FPS) - good cycle and kick, bad velocity and range.

WE Hi-Capa 5.1: TOP GAS (310 FPS) - recommended, RED GAS (340 FPS) - loud, hard kick, HFC134 (220 FPS) works alright but not recommended for range and power.

KSC G17: HFC134 (240 FPS) - recommended, light kick but still loud.

(Please note that GREEN GAS is any gas that is CFC or HFC free, so it could be anything. TOP gas is the correct term for propane propellant at 70 PSI.)

• 2 weeks later...

Done up to here. Once again, thanks to all the contributers so far.

Corkbulb: you are entirely correct in my choice of a rather inaccurate umbrella term of 'Green' for Propane-based propellants. However I have chosen to use this term as, even though being inaccurate, it is the term most commonly recognised by most airsofters as being synonymous for propane and propane-based propellants in airsoft. As a result, bearing in mind the main purpose of this thread is to give users an accessible guide to gasses, I felt that such commonly recognised terms (no matter how technically inaccurate) were most appropriate. Should a majority of users viewing this feel that they would rather see all instances of Green renamed Top, please let me know and I shall be happy to amend the list. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've not looked in here for ages, but it's gone the way I expected.

One person says Gun X is fine on Green and the next post says not, or vice versa.

Someone a few back said KSC Mk23 is fine on Green, but I've bought two with broken slides, both due to Green Gas the sellers said.

Golden rule - You can use Green when it's cold, but not when it's hot!

Cheers.

Just a headsup/question.

I have a TM Deagle with stock parts and two mags, and I've been using green gas for a while now. However, just the other day when I went to shoot in my basement, one of my mags started to leak. =( I'm not sure whether this was due to my using green gas or not, but maybe someone besides me should take another look at the gun and the use of green gas in it.

My other magazine however is still working just fine as far as I can tell. I plan to test both magazines again tomorrow. I'll post back.

some green gas supposedly has silicone in it, but idk. either way when you use green gas in a gbb it dries out the o-rings it comes in contact with, not very rapidly, but over time and/or with use. i think that if you let guns sit for too long without use or lubrication some parts may just dry out, dont quote me on it. try spraying the o-rings and chamber/nozzle with silicone, and if regular silicone doesnt work, which it should, get all the o-rings from the mag and chamber, etc and stick em in a small tin or cup with steering fluid. leave over night. if that doesnt work than i think they are gonners. you may also want to drop Snowman a pm, he told me about the steering fluid.
  • 2 weeks later...
Negative, but I don't think I shoot it all that much. That could be the problem though.

I was under the impression that green gas was self-lubricating, no?

Using any lube now wouldn't remedy this I guess, right?

'Built in' lube alone won't do, it helps, but you really must give your guns and mags a good old lubing now and then, or often! Depends on how much you use them.

Make sure you lube the o rings, the fill valve and that big hole thing on the top... I forget the correct word :P There's a few places in the gun that needs lubing, but it's mainly the mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived