Installing hammer spring in KSC Glock

Grumman

I posted this in the general tech. forum but figured it would be better suited here. Basically I have an enhanced hammer spring and no apparent way of removing the old one from the frame and installing this new one. I hear it can be a pain.

Also, is there any point in doing this without a high flow valve? Which I plan to get along with a metal slide and outer barrel in the near future.

One final question ;) The hammer spring allows more gas into the chamber and so increases the FPS right, so I should really have a high flow valve installed beforehand?

Disassembling the pistol by itself is not the hard part. You knock out the rear pin, lift the firing mechanism, pull out the hammer pin (it'll only come out one way) and you're there. The fun starts when you try to get the hammer and spring back in and get the pin through the whole package. The new hammer spring will be quite strong. Using a smaller pin as a guide helps some.

You can use a strong hammer spring and high flow valve together or you can use just either.

-Sale

Thanks for the help, lads. I've got the big fat retaining pin above the trigger out but the smaller one at the back of the grip is being a real bugger. I think I'll need a hammer for this one.

EDIT: HUZZAH! With a file and craftily bent paper clip it's out of the frame. Now the fun begins ;)

EDIT:

hammermechspringfi6.jpg

Is the hammer spring meant to sit on that ledge? (When connected to the hammer)

Hello again. I can now fit everything back together with not that much difficulty, however there is a problem of slotting part #81 and its spring #82 back into place. It seems that the straight length of the enhanced spring (not the bent end that connects to the hammer) is longer than on the stock spring and so prevents the piece of metal (part #81) from even being fitted in to its place.

Would it be ok then to snip a couple of mm off the straight length of the enhanced spring to make it the same length as the stock spring. I presume it is as the strength will be held in the coil but thought I'd just make sure.

enhancedhammerspringandso2.jpg

I can't find where to put that bent length of wire either (pictured on the left). Can anyone help with a description or photograph please. It goes somewhere around the trigger mech I know that much :mellow:

Uhoh. After testing the hammer mechanism with the original spring I then replaced the slide, to check everything. Now when I try and remove the slide the thing wont comt off. The selector is in the 'safe' position but the hammer must be forward.

damn, this looks like it's going to be a problem. Any help on how to get the slide off?

By "the hammer must be forward" what do you mean? I think you know that the weapon needs to be cocked and the selector on the disassembly position, so I won't really go into that. The thing that I can think of is that your selector isn't actually moving to the disassembly position. My other thought might sound obvious, but did you leave your mag in by mistake?

-Sh0ty

I'm not certain what the problem was (mag was definatly out), but the slide is off now. I did what you shouldn't really do and used a little force and the slide just slid forwards off the rails with no apparent damage to anything in the frame or slide.

By "the hammer must be forward" I mean in the position where the trigger is at the rear of the trigger guard, so the position it is in after firing off the action with no magazine.

Sh0ty, do you know how to fit the curved piece of wire back in? And would you recomend cutting down the Guarder hammer spring to the same length as the stock spring?

The thin spring wire holds the slide stop lever down when it's not being pushed up by the follower of an empty magazine.

If the tail of the new hammer spring is too long, by all means shorten it if necessary. But IIRC it's not supposed to be visible as it is in your 3:42 PM post picture.

-Sale

OMG it is such a pian in the *albartroth* to do this... You know that wire thing you have pictured towards the left? well I had the same prob as you... I just didn't put it back in, and my guns still functions the exact same asa it did before.

Also with the tail of the new spring. Don't worry about it sitting on that little ledge at first... One you have the whole hammer assembly back to gether you can just push it up onto the ledge with a screw driver... That way there is no force pushing the hammer out when you are reassembling.

The thin spring wire holds the slide stop lever down when it's not being pushed up by the follower of an empty magazine.

If the tail of the new hammer spring is too long, by all means shorten it if necessary. But IIRC it's not supposed to be visible as it is in your 3:42 PM post picture.

-Sale

Could you provide a picture please. I can see the hole where I am supposed to loop the end f the wire through on the slide stop but not where anything else goes.

Thanks.

Could you provide a picture please. I can see the hole where I am supposed to loop the end f the wire through on the slide stop but not where anything else goes.

I don't have a Glock and a camera handy now, but basically you just put the spring on the lever (it should stay in the "crimp"), and slip it next to the trigger from behind. The other end of the spring steats itself quite naturally against the block, which cams the outer barrel down during recoil.

-Sale

Grrr. It now seems that the firing pin (the metal piece #78 that depresses the valve on the magazine) does not have the strength to do so. I've tried cocking and firing without the slide just to check and part #78 goes forward and hits the valve but only manages to let a tiny wisp of gas escape.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? And what parts might need replacing.

Thanks.

Grrr. It now seems that the firing pin (the metal piece #78 that depresses the valve on the magazine) does not have the strength to do so. I've tried cocking and firing without the slide just to check and part #78 goes forward and hits the valve but only manages to let a tiny wisp of gas escape.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? And what parts might need replacing.

Thanks.

It sounds like you didnt seat the hammer spring properly. The back of the spring needs to be resting on the tiny ledge on the inside of the frame. It's probably off of that ledge so it's not compressing when you cock it.

Just to let you know you don't have to take the hammer assembly appart to fix this...

Just tke the hammer assembly out, turn it upside down (You should see the end of the spring hanging off of the ledge) Then just take a screw driver and push the end of the spring on the ledge...

When I was getting instructions on how to do this I was told that it can be difficult to keep the hamme on the ledge while putting it bck together... I treid and I tried then I just did what I wrote above and vuala!

Archived