Classic Army Aug A1 review

Just wanted to add my review to here, I orginally posted it in review database section. I am editting a little bit since I'm reposting it.

augwholeoj1.jpg

Classic Army AUG a1

Review by Greatwatermelon

**First off, I want to say my review will not compare the Tokyo Marui AUG because I respect TM very much.

First Impressions: I bought my CA AUG a1 from Airsoft Extreme. The Aug is very heavy, neat, and not too long. I bought the Aug A1(fixed scope) because I did not have the budget to buy nice opticals to mount and, to me, this military version (fixed scope) looks very nice with its Olive Drab paint job. The trades are on right side of stock and unique serial numbers are imprinted on the bolt cover. My dad bought it for me for $290 dollars on December 7, 2006. Thanks dad!

Appearance: I always seen the bullups (SA80, L85, AUG) as an ugly blob, but my view of it changed after I saw the BE Aug military. When I finally saw the OD Classic Army AUG a1, I fell in love with it. :o From there on, I never viewed the AUG as an ugly gun.

Feel: The gun is made out of polymer for lower receiver and aluminum for upper reciever. The aug is full metal meaning it is just like the real steel. The polymer feels great, NO creak/flex and is very solid that rounds that hit my Aug did nothing. The aluminum feels great and has not bent or scratch even when falling on it or being shot at. Even though I have never held a real Aug, I heard from others that Classic Army did a great job to how the real steel feels like.

redaugsa4.jpg

The red color shows what parts are metal (on left side).

Build Quality:

Add on (1/28/07): First off, I have to say, I am really stoked that Airsoft Retreat Newspage has just posted about AI magazine and CA Aug a1. The Classic Army Aug a1 has been given the Top Gun Award by Airsoft International Magazine. This years Classic Army AUG a1 boxes will be sold with a square logo stating "Top Gun Award" from AI magazine. This announcement makes me very pleased to have bought an Aug but my box will not be carrying that square logo because I bought my Aug almost 2 months ago. Oh! I am so smad. :angry:

The quality of the gun impressed me and convinced me that it is well built. Like every other Aug even the real steel, there is a easy dissemble system. Just press the square button near the magazine and the upper receiver slides right out. It makes upgrading simple and easy.

Some common complaints from Aug owners is the wobbly vertical grip and play between upper/lower receiver. The wobble in vertical foregrip happens even on the real steel Aug as well. After a while, the wobbly vertical grip does not annoy me at all, if it really does bother, a new Guarder pin for the foregrip easily cures the wobbling. The movement between upper metal receiver and lower plastic receiver will always happen because of the easy dissembling feature. You will not notice the shaking between recievers if you hold gun horizontally as if you are shooting, but I found I could temporarily fix this shaking if I played with the dissemble button. The play between recievers is a sacrifice but is defintely worth it, because the easy dissemble feature is very helpful. (Update: the play between the two recievers can be fixed by putting electrical tape around/on the C shaped part located on the edge of the lower reciever.)

The 8.4v 1400mah Intellect battery fits perfectly into the Classic Army AUG stock. The battery cover is rubber. I doubt a 9.6v battery would fit unless it is a custom one or fit in battery pouch.

batterygt4.jpg

Another thing to note about the Aug, it is very heavy on the trigger hand depending how you hold the gun. I was a cymbal player for my school's marching band so it did not take long for me to get use to its weight. The scope is very nice and easy to see through even though it is only 1.5X magnification, it is good enough to get precise shots from it. Since the fixed scope is not high enough, you will not be able to use the scope with your full face mask unless you buy a tight profile paintball mask. (You adjust the crosshair with an adjuster tool)

scopeyw9.jpg

My Classic Army AUG magazine is internally terrible, the spring keeps snapping even though I keep fixing it. A likely possibility to why the hi-cap spring snapped is because of the cold winter temperature. The CA magazine did cause problems later on... I do recommend Tokyo Marui AUG magazines over CA mags.

magki0.jpg

As for internals, only first couple batches of Augs experienced gear/piston stripping due to meshing problems. That problem should be cleared up already. Overall, internals are very good and should not need any replacing in stock form. If you are very compelled to upgrade/change something, I would recommend replacing the stock polycarb piston with a better aftermarket piston. Either than that, the gearbox comes pre-upgraded with Die-caste gearbox, metal spring guide, 7mm steel bushing, their newer CA steel gears, polycarb piston/piston head and air seal nozzle. My Aug has shot 10k rounds without any internal problems.

Function: The Aug has the same trigger function as its real steel. The Aug fires semi when the trigger is pressed halfway to a stop. Pull the trigger all the way and the Aug will fire in full auto. The safety is not a selector switch but a square rod that goes through the body. With your trigger hand, you can easily turn the safety off. I found this trigger function very useful and efficient when you are in a very intense fire zone.

triggergh3.jpg

Description/How to Fix -Trigger Jamming

You might have heard about a trigger jam situation in the trigger system, and I have came across it during a skirmish. After firing almost 3k rounds during a skirmish, my trigger jams on full auto and just kept blank firing for 20 seconds until I disconnected the battery. To fix this problem, you push the tab forward above the trigger system. If you wonder what caused the problem, it started with the Classic Army magazine. My CA mag's hi-cap spring is constantly on snapping no matter how I fix it. When the magazine broke in the middle of my skirmish, I turned the gun over reinserting fiercely to see if I can get bb's to roll into the chamber. Some bb's rolled into the trigger assembly so when I did fire in full auto, not only was magazine not feeding, the trigger became stuck.

To fix this trigger problem, there are 3 things you should do to elimate the problem completely:

(take off upper receiver)

1. Clean and grease with silicone oil the trigger assembly

2. Turn the receiver upside down and sideways to get any bb's out

3. Push the tab forward (not too hard)

After doing those 3 things, you should not experience any trigger jam, just make sure bb's don't roll into the trigger assembly.

magwellok8.jpg

gap where bb's fall through into trigger assembly

Performance: When I tested the Aug at Airsoft Extreme, I was nervous to get the last Classic Army AUG a1 available for that week because it was off the display shelf. But when the store front man and I tested the Aug, it chronoed from low of 337 to as high as 346 fps. SOLD! The ROF with a 8.4v 1400 MaH intellect was about 18rps/1000+ rpm. (Tested with audacity)

I took it back home and tried firing at cans or boxes, shots curved away from a coke can at 15 feet away. I took it back to the store unpleased because I knew the stock bucking is terrible. The store front man switched the bucking and barrel to be safe. Now, the gun is as accurate as it should be. I did not test its grouping with paper targets, but I was able to get head shots from about approx. 100 feet away and body shots farther than that. The hop up works very well. The inner barrel length is 509mm long and 6.08mm standard brass barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c5b5mwucGY

A video of my CA Aug firing in semi and auto.

You will see a bb rolling out of barrel for first shot because the hop up is completely off.

Accessories: There is not many accessories for the Aug.

This is most of the Assessories:

-Phantom Silencer Kit (2 sizes)

-Short barrel (cqb)/Longer barrel and different flashiders

-Nitro Side Rail to mount lasers or flash lights (goes under the carry handle/scope/rail)

-Custom jobs (longer barrel with TOP m60 bipod)

-silencer

-Drum magazine

As for what magazine for your Aug, always buy Tokyo Marui magazines. Tm aug mags feed reliablely and flawlessly, fit better, and the material of the mag feels like polymer too.

stufffq5.jpg

Modifications:

Definite modification needed:

-New bucking

Recommended:

-New piston w/piston head for spring upgrades

-Battery (9.6v custom on upgrades)

Possible good upgrades:

- Tightbore

- New cylinder set and tappet plate

Conclusion: I looked for an accurate aeg that will not b.s. my shots, good rof, good fps without upgrading, and compact for its feature. Extras that were surprisingly helpful were the easy dissemble feature and trigger system. Overall, I am very pleased with my Classic Army Aug A1. I told you I would not compare between Classic Army and Tokyo Marui Aug because I own an Classic Army and I know Tokyo Marui have very good quality externally and internally. Both are good guns, nothing can go wrong picking either. Overall, the Classic Army Aug a1 suits me very well.

Edited by greatwatermelon

Pros/Cons List:

Pros:

-Good accuracy [new bucking $5] (bull up design allows it)

-Good rof (18 rps/1000+ rpm w/ 8.4v intellect)

-Good stock fps (320-350 fps depends on bucking and batch)

-Easy Take Down (dissemble) feature

-Compact (little longer than mp5)

-Nice scope

-Good externals

-Good internals

Cons:

-Wobble of foregrip, upper/lower receiver (due to take down feature)

-Bad stock bucking

-few varieties of magazine (CA, TM, JG, BE)

22222xa0.jpg

THANKS FOR READING

Extra pictures:

boxgt4.th.jpgopenboxgy5.th.jpgpackagelg6.th.jpgleftfj4.th.jpgmeyn9.th.jpg

out of interest, and it may be too early to say, but have you found out if the CA aug suffers from the same design flaw as the marui iwith regards to the feed nipple?

just wondering if anyone has started noticing their CA aug misfeeding, as this is the only thing that prevents me from buying another aug- I had a TM aug a1 and loved it, until the misfeed issue developed.

out of interest, and it may be too early to say, but have you found out if the CA aug suffers from the same design flaw as the marui iwith regards to the feed nipple?

just wondering if anyone has started noticing their CA aug misfeeding, as this is the only thing that prevents me from buying another aug- I had a TM aug a1 and loved it, until the misfeed issue developed.

No, it does not suffer from any misfeeds... My CA mag just keeps breaking, the hi-cap spring so it wont feed any bb, NOW i am using a TM mag and it is feeding perfectly.

Now I'm not saying your wrong, but can you confirm that the upper receiver is aluminum? All that I've read and from handling the gun itself seem to suggest its the usual CA potmetal.

well to me, it does not feel like pot metal at all. I had UTG mp5.

I also fell on my Aug, barrel downward first. nothing happened. I also rolled over my aug, nothing happened. also I doubt u can make a scope out of pot metal... everything is extremely sturdy. the metal on the aug feels even ticker than the CA m15. aug metal is friken heavy too. nothing has chipped off either. the metal is not soft, its solid. my aug got shot at and there is no scratches or dents.

i dunno why u would question it to be pot metal. CA's new guns are made out of aluminum

edit: the ppl at AEX even held my gun by the barrel horizontally. nothing happened. if it were pot metal, it would have snapped because a lot of the weight is also at the other end.

I have no clue where you got the suggestion its pot metal.

you mentioned the lack of cheap hicaps, ever thought about trying BE or JG hicaps? ive heard the JG ones are fine and i know myself that BE mags feed flawlessly

ooo, maybe i should elaborate more... i never tired BE mags cause i dunt really like ones that wobble a lot.

I tried to get my hands on a couple JG mags but they ran out at pointact before i could get some

wobble eh? electrical tape should fix that :)

yup, already did that to my aug, :P

I just need to get picture of what i did, and ill load it up sometimes.

I put electrical tape around that C shape thing that goes into the hole. got ride of the wobble

this review is old, so needs some updating

well to me, it does not feel like pot metal at all. I had UTG mp5.

I also fell on my Aug, barrel downward first. nothing happened. I also rolled over my aug, nothing happened. also I doubt u can make a scope out of pot metal... everything is extremely sturdy.  the metal on the aug feels even ticker than the CA m15. aug metal is friken heavy too. nothing has chipped off either. the metal is not soft, its solid. my aug got shot at and there is no scratches or dents.

i dunno why u would question it to be pot metal. CA's new guns are made out of aluminum

edit: the ppl at AEX even held my gun by the barrel horizontally. nothing happened. if it were pot metal, it would have snapped because a lot of the weight is also at the other end.

I have no clue where you got the suggestion its pot metal.

A freind of mine had one a while back, it just seemed to feel to heavy to made up of aluminum, I suppose I'm being silly. Though TBH I didn't know that the newer CA's were made of aluminum.

A freind of mine had one a while back, it just seemed to feel to heavy to made up of aluminum, I suppose I'm being silly.  Though TBH I didn't know that the newer CA's were made of aluminum.

oh, yeah, CA switched to aluminum after making the CA33e. they started using aluminum on m15's. and are continueing with the rest of the guns they make.

BUT, i heard from somewhere that the SAR offizer was made of pot metal or something like that. But it could just be a rumor...

The old CA models with pot metal are defintely the NON-B&T mp5's + CA33e.

the maybes are, old m15's, and sar offizer

but either than that. majority of the newer CA guns are made of good aluminum or steel. m14, aug, g3, B&T mp5, m15, SCAR, AK, etc.

The M15A4-series has still an aluminum based pot metal body with weak paint on it. The front set on M15A4s opposed is very good metal IMO, nothing to complain with it's finish or durability. They tend to use their better metal only with parts that need that extra durability (IIRC CA36 barrel assembly was better metal, extension outer barrel pot metal, haven't got it anymore). Last time I checked, the B&T MP5 bodies were the same alloy as in the M15A4 bodies. The SCAR is superior since it's CNC machined aluminum. :)

Edited by Abelius
The M15A4-series has still an aluminum based pot metal body with weak paint on it. The front set on M15A4s opposed is very good metal IMO, nothing to complain with it's finish or durability. They tend to use their better metal only with parts that need that extra durability (IIRC CA36 barrel assembly was better metal, extension outer barrel pot metal, haven't got it anymore). Last time I checked, the B&T MP5 bodies were the same alloy as in the M15A4 bodies. The SCAR is superior since it's CNC machined aluminum. :)

makes sense, thanks for sharing!

Aluminum mixed with some light alloys (i.e. pot metal). mixed metals tend to make a certain metal even stronger. well.. sometimes