Classic Army G3A3 or "M41 Sportmatch SG" review

Before we start, I just want to say that this is my first review ever, I've never written a review of any sort, but go ahead with the criticisms, this is, afterall the internet and it's not like I'll care. Here goes, a mini-review to get everyone started, and I'll try to update after a game or two and see if the internals hold up.

This rifle cost $260 plus tax at airsoftextreme Santa Clara.

DSC01960.jpg

You'll notice two things immediately when you pick up this rifle: it's rock solid, and it's lighter than you thought it was going to be. For a big honkin' rifle, the CA G3A3 is quite light, now I can already hear the people moaning "oh the weight's not realistic". Boo hoo, this is airsoft, afterall and I actually think that lightweight is actually an advantage for long games. Hooked up the rifle and shot it, chrono'ed at 320 FPS w/ .2s consistently, another sample I used shot closer to 310.

GB sounds decent, really not as smooth as TM.

The real steel trades are uglier than Michael Jackson's face when his nose fell off. But oh well.

DSC01961.jpg

All in all, if you've been after a G3A3, this is probably the best option, yes it's

"full metal", but it's not great metal. It's a nice gun, compared to the ###### that BELL puts out anyways. Will post more on the performance after I take it to a game or two, long term? I'd say it'll be okay it you don't push it too much.

DSC01962.jpg

More to come...

I asked CA about this - apparently they got so many complaints about the weight of the older steel-alloy based body that when they redid the body kits they swapped to a lighter, aluminium based alloy.

So blame airsofters for that. Either way, the new kits are of a much higher quality, so meh.

Let's hope so. ;)

*Sigh* I still want a G3A3. I was so set on getting a CA G3SG1 and converting it to an A3 back in October. Never got done... I still have a RS A3 foregrip, and mag pouch.

Speaking of the mag pouch. I just tried my M14 mags in it and: they work perfectly. :D

Why did I not think of this before? :rolleyes: G3 7.62mm; M14 7.62mm. Duh... :(

Edited by evilliboba
I asked CA about this - apparently they got so many complaints about the weight of the older steel-alloy based body that when they redid the body kits they swapped to a lighter, aluminium based alloy.

So blame airsofters for that. Either way, the new kits are of a much higher quality, so meh.

I've got one and it's heavier (if not as heavy) then my buddy's inokatsu RPK.

I'm actually trying to order selector switches for mine to replace the craptastic TM ones....

Oops forgot to mention in the review, the selector switch clicks in very positively, no mushy selector here, really guys, if you've been wanting a G3A3, the Chiman guns aren't gonna cut it, quality's just way too low, CA looks to be the most efficient option at the moment.

The TM AUG is significantly high in metal content too.

My G3 with the old CA body and wood furniture is 6.5 kg (aprox. I just wieghed it), a little heavier then the Aug if IIRC. Aug was a bit better to carry though, with the wieght in the rear.

That M41 Sportmatch is super light though.

The TM AUG is no where as heavy has 5kg, my old one with a scope and 10.8v subC battery carved into it was only 4.2kg. A standard TM AUG would be no more than 4kg with battery and scope.

I also happen to have assembled 2 full metal G3s in the past using old heavyweight CA bodies, battery and stock marui mechs and they were only 4.3kgs heavy balanced around the centre while the front felt empty. Quite disappointing weight and balance wise and the QC was horrible back then.

I certainly hope they have improved it, say with a nice thick steel/aluminium alloy outer barrel to improve the G3s accuracy and balance....one can only dream...

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

They do now.

The new bodies and cocking tubes are very nice - but also pricey.

The cocking tube in particular is a one piece design, which is good, but here in HK it's more than twice the price of the old two piece one.