AE homeland defender review

i ordered one of these a while back from evike and was very disapointed. it came pretty scratched up, the prongs that held the grip in place fell off, and when it fired it would blow a bunch of gas in your face, and the bb would fly up, and then plummet after only 30ft. i tried adjusting the hopup, but there wasn't really much you can do to adjust it becaue if the allen screw used to adjust it stickes up too high, it will be snapped off by the slide when it blows back. anyway, i returned it to evike, but all they would do is give me a new one... or so they claimed. after about 3 months of constant calls to get them to work on it, they finally told me that they were sending me a new one. when i opened the package i realised that they had sent me the same one. it worked fine for a little bit, but then the hammer stopped locking back when i fired it, so i had to cock it back every shot.

well, just last week i decided that i would need a cheap and small sidearm that could be used in the winter, and this was still the only one out there. well this time i ordered it from depot53 as i have ordered from evike multiple times, and they always mess up the order, or send me a broken item, so i won't order from them anymore. anyway, when the package arrived i was a bit nervouse because i was not sure what to expect. well i opened it up, and there sat a small, full metal, solid little pistol. i took it out, loaded it up, and fired. nice crisp blowback, and it only sprayed gas out the back the first shot, which is to be expected i guess. anyway, the bb still had that messed up flight pattern, so i removed the hopup allen screw entirely. this seemed to solve the problem.

anyway, this gun is extremely inaccurate, has very little range, and only holds 11rds. so i would recomend it as a last ditch weapon, or if your like me, and dont like carying around a lot of clunky weapons and gear, this pistol is pretty small so you can carry it without a problem.

also, to clear up some confusion, the slide DOES lock back after the last shot. to release it, you simply remove the mag/put in a mag with at least one bb, and rack the slide the rest of the way back and let go.

the great thing about this gun is that it has really powerfull recoil, and it's not laggy like a lot of other full metal guns. it can make it through about 10 mags in a gaming situation, and up to 4 mags with constant rapidfiring. it is full metal, yet only costs $60, and it can work in the cold. it is very compact, so you can carry it around easily. it is extremely nice to hold because it is very solid and well ballanced.

the bad things about this gun are as follows; the metal is not the best stuff in the world, which added to the thin paint used, allows the gun to scratch very easily. the ejection port cover is plastic. it only holds 11rds. it has a range of only about 60ft or so. is extremely inaccurate, but it does get the job done.

anyway, there is not much more to say other than that. you can find plenty of pics on the internet, however you cannot find a lot of vids. so i figured i'd post a vid of it:.... which is taking forever to load onto photobucket... ok, well i will add it a little bit later :P

long story short: if you need a last ditch weapon, something that will work in the winter, something for plinking, something cheap and cool for a backyard skirmish, or like to travel light and need a sidearm, this is the weapon for you.

I second what he said about the kick being hard. I fired one once, and it kicks as hard as a real steel .22, no joke. This gun really needs a silencer and extended inner barrel, though. The high pressure of C02 and the short barrel make the accuracy awful. Even with a tightbore and a great hop it still needs some assistance.

ok, so i am still working on uploading the video, but photobucket seems to be taking it good ol' time.

anyway, i just had my first skirmish with it today and i was pretty impressed. i was sniping, and i was about to shoot someone when i noticed someone else coming from the other direction. i was not using camo, so i was noticed hiding behind the tree. one was using an uzi, the other an m11. the shots from the m11 wern't coming too close, so i went for the one on the other side with the uzi. she was about 60ft away, and her shots were hitting the tree, or wizzing by the sides. i waited for her to run to a closer position and then i oppened fire on her with the pistol. i had to aim a bit high, but after about six rds of single handed fire she put the uzi over her head. at that point i turned to the other guy who i had been taking ocasional shots at to keep his head down, and put the last two rds towards him to give me a chance to level my g-spec and take him out.

anyway, apparently this pistol is quite a bit more capable than i thought. a kill from 60ft with one hand and only using six rds is pretty good for something of the size and price. not only that, but the sound is really intimidating, and puts peoples heads down really fast.

• 4 weeks later...

well, was not able to get the video up, but i just wanted to add to the review that after owning it for this short period of time, it has begun to have a problem with the hammer. apparently the hammer gets worn down so it no longer locks back into position after being cocked or fired. i am not the only one to have this problem as i have seen here on arnies. anyway, i would recomend staying away from this pistol.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if the WA shan CO2 PPK (on Unco) is the same gun, it seems very similar and ive been very tempted to buy a pair in an attempt to mod then into makarov lookalikes.

and can anyone elaborate on the problems with this pistol and how they can potentially be fixed

It is the same gun but with different slide, trigger guard and grips, I have the Wa Shan one..

They come out of the same factory as the 4.5mm Umarex/Crossman ones..

I've had the same problem with the hammer, I fixed it for now by filing some material away but I eventually want to get a replacement hammer made..

sorry, i might be asking a little bit too much of you guys here but can anyone take a picture of the wear on the hammer and explain how and why that causes it not to lock? also a pic of what i'd need to file back to fix the problem would be handy.

and one more thing, would it be remotely possible to mod it to use modified glock AEP mags?