SA80/LSW long range accuracy comparison..?

Spacemonkey

Ok, has anyone had the pleasure of comparing long range accuracy of STAR's SA80 and their LSW?

Is it true that STAR uses tight barrels on these as standard?

Is the blowback option reliable and compatible with both?

Any horror stories for either?

How does the long range accuracy compare with others (for example, would either compare with my G3 SG1 with tight barrel and all upgraded internals)?

So many questions, so little time... :blink:

EDIT.. and how does the G & G L85 A2 offering compare? It's certainly cheaper..

Blow works in both.

I would not recommend the blow back kit, the lsw has never been the same since.

Both about the same sort of range.

My sg1 has better range then my sa80.

Not sure about the tight barrels.

G&G take down is better, that's about it, personally wait until the AC or ICS one comes out. Or go for the Army one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

lol i wouldnt bother waiting around for the army code one. its been 'in the pipeline' for years with no news.

the ICS should have been out in april/may apparently but got delayed due to a production problem.

the Army version is the A1 so most importantly you dont have the guard around the mag release. if its

made of steel like the g&g then i'd wirewheel the paint off around the mag catch and weld a similar piece on there.

Remember also that the Army version also suffers from the well documented 18 tooth piston problem and

must be modified in order to keep it alive (RIP my G&G a2 lol).

i wouldnt recommend installing the blowback kit as it causes nothing but problems.

I heard alot of failures with the star version when it was first released but since then

they have worked out the kinks so to speak.

and ofcourse the range is the same between the A2 and the LSW, internally

they are the same gun (no, a slight difference in barrel length will NOT affect accuracy).

Or 60 quid from hong kong.

Aaaannddd then add in:

Shipping charges (£20-30)

Import tax + VAT (Same again, possibly more)

Delivery charges (mine was sent with the shipping charges, ended up being £50 odd)

And then you have over £130-£140.

Rich.

No poop? Give the man a cookie.. :rolleyes:

How does accuracy compare?

i think ED is one of these OCD types like me who can't stand people referring to an individual rifle with the name of an entire bloody weapons program. or people who think AKMs (or even AK74s) are AK47s. or people who seem to think flash hider and muzzle break/compensator or magazine and clip are interchangeable terms.

call me weird but i can't just loose the part of my brain that KNOWS the difference

No worries dude- my bro's the same... and I was just taking the ######... :P

In the end I bought a brace of ARMY L85A1s and they're ace! Clearly the most accurate long range AEGs I have (apart from my new full length FAL PARA). Very good and running standard. I squeezed an 8.4v 4600mah battery in the stock of one and it's all good. I mainly use semi or short bursts form midcaps and although I have only put a couple of thousand rounds at most through the main one, nothing has gone wrong.. Oh, apart fomr the good old A1 habit of dropping a mag. How proffessional... outofhere.gif

G&G L85 - blowback troubles due to a plastic part, if you want it to last, disable it. Ive changed hop-up chamber and rubber also, other than that, good quality, not a single problem.

Army L85 - same tricky part - metal, don't have any feedback yet since the Army has just been bought.

Drawback for the Army - wobbly foregrip due to central metal piece that sits on the barrel, not mounted properly, causing also the front sight to move.

Will update with comparison between G&G and Army if possible (don't own the Army one). Sorry can't say more about the STAR though. Frankly wouldn't go for the STAR as long as the Army seems to be a great G&G clone. I could be wrong but... does STAR have a plastic gearbox?

I like the academy L85a1 :P

but compaired to the range of the STARs i guess i wont bother to compair :(

Spacemonkey, i only ever drop a mag from my saty about 5 minutes after i say "i dont really drop mags very often"

Archived