SA80/LSW long range accuracy comparison..?

Spacemonkey

...does STAR have a plastic gearbox?

Yes, but let's not be so cut and dry about it. Plastic, polycarbonate, polymer... they're all fancy ways of referring to the same category of materials. It's important to acknowledge that the mechanical properties of plastics have a vast range. This is why the plastic on your trinket from a cheap outlet store will break if you drop it, while the plastic on your say... car can survive being hit repeatedly with a hammer. The STAR gearbox is a plastic, but it's very well suited for its job as a gearbox housing. It is very strong, yet not brittle so it can survive being knocked about and generally abused. Additionally, it's transparent, which makes diagnosing any gearbox issues almost a trivial task.

There are a good deal of people who think that this plastic is more suited for a gearbox housing than metal because it doesn't get brittle and prone to breaking in the winter, but I think they might be sensationalizing its thermal and mechanical properties.

While the STAR does have a plastic gearbox, it's not a disadvantage. I don't think it's any better than a metal gearbox, except that it's transparent, but it's almost certainly not any worse. I can't seem to stress this enough; I constantly see people comment "ewww... plastic," and it gets on my nerves because it's completely ignorant of the advantages of modern materials. In that light, I wouldn't be surprised if plastic gearboxes eventually became the highest end available once the technology is sufficiently advanced. At the moment though, this isn't the case.

EDIT: I'm not getting up in arms about this here. I apologize if I seem to be posting in an aggressive manner; I blame LabView.

I like the academy L85a1 :P

but compaired to the range of the STARs i guess i wont bother to compair :(

Spacemonkey, i only ever drop a mag from my saty about 5 minutes after i say "i dont really drop mags very often"

:D I only dropped a mag after slinging a loaded weapon across my back and pulling pisols... Lesson learned.. Thankfully they're cheap and I have loads more. :rolleyes:

As I said, my ARMY model has no mods at all, apart from the battery and has been 100% reliable and rock solid all over. Maybe if you're a hoser you might kill it, but used wisely no troubles... yet. :unsure:

Archived