Tanaka K98

M14

Most of you know I have a Vietnam thing going on but I ran out of Vietnam guns to buy. I already own a CA M15A1 (assault rifle), Inokatsu M60A1 (LMG), Hudson M3A1 Grease Gun (SMG), WE M1911 (pistol) and a G&G M14 Veteran (sniper rifle). I know the G&G M14 isnt really a sniper rifle but I made it shoot like one so its good enough. All my guns have been made to be as realistic and accurate as possible with as little plastic parts as possible on them. I even custom fitted real M3 Grease Gun metal lower dust cover to my Hudson M3. Since I pretty much dont need another Nam gun I decided my next gun should be a classic rifle. I am looking at buying the Tanaka K98 soon but I have a few questions.

First is the dumbest question but I cant really find an answer. Is it 8mm or 6mm?

Its all metal right?

How many rounds can a mag full of gas shoot?

How is the detail? I own a real K98 and am afraid after owning a real one, the Tanaka one will look *suitcasey*.

How is the FPS with Green Gas?

And my most important question is how hard is the bolt action? Is it like a real rifle where its pretty easy to pull and you can get rounds off in a row pretty fast or is it like a spring airsoft rifle where its tough to get rounds off fast?

I know the K98 isnt a Nam gun but I just want a bolt action gun for fun since I love old rifles. I wont be using it as a sniper though. Im still going to be on the frontline and thats why I want a easy pull bolt action gun. Im also thinking about getting some NVA gear and doing a Vietcong loadout with it.

I too own a Mauser (Czech Vz.24). A couple years back I went to Kapowwe and a friend of mine used to work their. I was collecting a gun from them, and I saw his K98 on the "rack." I asked if I could see it.

Of course it's lighter, the metal isn't really finished as much as it's painted black, and the wood is that horrible shade of yellow brown.

Personally, I think it's foolish to compare the quality of RS to airsoft. No matter how high to quality of airsoft, I've yet to find a weapon that even comes close to the quality of a RS firearm. Especially the finish. Most airsoft finishes are cheap paints or stains on cheap metal (yes even KA and G&G). Real steel firearms have smooth metal, and especially in vintage guns, lusterous metal. Everytime I pick up an airsoft gun, the phrase "pig iron" comes to mind.

Oh well, enough ranting for now.

Basically, don't be expecting German engineering (on the cosmetic portion).

Thanks for the replies. Some of the people that run the airsoft games at the local paintball field own a shop and once brought out a Tanaka K98. I regret asking them about it but I did notice that crappy color of the wood. I at least give Tanaka credit for not painting the wood like G&G does (took me hours to take the damn paint off). I will prbably stain the guns wood to look more like walnut. As far as comparing it to the RS, I like my guns as realistic as possible and some airsoft compaies (for some stupid reason) change around the gun around. Like CA and their M15A1. So far it looks like I will be purchasing one soon.

First is the dumbest question but I cant really find an answer. Is it 8mm or 6mm?

6mm.

Its all metal right?

Yup, full metal (well pot metal anyway)

How many rounds can a mag full of gas shoot?

Mag holds ten rounds, and you can get about 3-4 mags out of one fill. But normal good practice is to quickly squirt the mag when you reload it.

How is the detail? I own a real K98 and am afraid after owning a real one, the Tanaka one will look *suitcasey*.

Detailing is great in the usual Tanaka fashion. Apart from the stock colour being off from the real steel one (which as you say can be stained to suit) the actual finish is very very good. Even down to the imperial eagles stamped on the receiver.

How is the FPS with Green Gas?

Lots.... there is the G version which has adjustable nozzles to vary the power.

And my most important question is how hard is the bolt action? Is it like a real rifle where its pretty easy to pull and you can get rounds off in a row pretty fast or is it like a spring airsoft rifle where its tough to get rounds off fast

Zero friction. There is a small silver plate on the side of the bolt (its precise function I am unsure of) and this can sometimes stick a bit, or rattle. It can be removed very easily and stops any 'issues'.

They are well worth every penny. Beautiful rifle. If you get one and it doesnt quite shoot right, change the hop rubber for the BGS version.

You'll find all the details in the Tanaka thread in the Sniper Haven section.

Conversely, if you just want something for show and sh!ts and giggles, take a look at the Marushin Kar98.

Again, its superbly detailed and its wood stock is closer to the dark walnut finish of the original. Its 8mm Shell Ejecting too. Which makes it a bit impractical for skirmishing (and I hear its a bit innacurate too), but the whole shell ejecting feature is just sweet.

Well worth a look if you just want something cool to stroke in the safe zone.

I was looking at the Marushin K98 but it doesnt look as nice and I dont like that its 8mm and shell ejecting. Im not going to use the gun for show, Im going to use it a lot. Shell ejecting isnt good for frontline action and I dont feel like having to buy 8mm BBs every time I want to use it.

Archived