Vietnam Airsoft Guide

M14

Oh, I'm fully aware of their justification for switching. I am simply in the camp that thinks they should have focused on developing a better platform for the .308 rifle rather than switching to a whole new caliber. You can disagree with me on that all you want, but this is an airsoft forum, so let's get back to the Vietnam loadout discussion. :D

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NickN,

Obviously you did not get I was ever so slightly joking?

Firstly, just using your hand to pull down on the sling is no way to shoot a rifle. Wrapping it around your arm, fine, but not country bumpkin MAC11 style.

We are also talking combat, as demonstrated in the video, not some lame backyard bench shooting.

If you hadn't realised, I was essentially supporting your debunking of the 7.62 myth. My video clip demonstrates a soldier gaining his composure and letting off a volley of aimed shots purely with hand and shoulder support.

Hey ho.

There are actually three versions of the XM177 family.

XM177: 10" barrel, CAR15 flash hider and forward assist.

XM177E1: 11.5" barrel, new flash hider/grenade launcher, NO forward assist.

XM177E2: 11.5" barrel, new flash hider/grenade launcher with forward assist.

Not true,

XM177E1: 10" barrel, XM moderator, no grenade ring, with forward assist, No bayonet lug

XM177E2: 11.5" barrel, XM moderator, with grenade ring, with forward assist, with or without bayonet lug.

If they don't have a forward assist then it's either a very early model or an airforce GAU-5/A.

Could talk about the minor points forever though, theres a good wiki page.

also to say 'very few saw frontline combat' isn't strictly true the XM177E1 was widely used by LRRP, SEAL's and alike.

also to say 'very few saw frontline combat' isn't strictly true the XM177E1 was widely used by LRRP, SEAL's and alike.

Frontline combat generally means on the frontline with the infantry not SF missions. Also you have to remember LRRP (Long Range Recon Patrol) and SF soldiers main goal most of the time was not to be seen and not to engage the enemy unless engaged by the enemy first. The fact the very few saw frontline combat is true.

Buy a new M16A1 receiver with the correct trades and details e.g. Hurricane, G&P, Guarder. Change the stock to the correct type without the reinforcing fillets. Tapered Delta ring if you were really bothered.

Hey tommygun or anyone else that can anwser this, what should I do? I want an M16VN and I have about three chioces :TM, CA or WGC custom, I want reliable, but want realistic.. What should I do and most affordable :P

I'm in the same boat. And I am leaning towards the CA M15A1 Vietnam at Airsoft GI in the package deal. i tis $295 for the gun, battery, charger, and 5,000 bb's all for the price of the gun from other retailers.

I think I would go with a WGC G&P custom. Basically everything is correct and you won't have to add anything. Forget the Marui, it's plastic.

Personally I'd go for the M16A1 and not the M16. Not a bad price either.

p.s. you might want to buy a spare non G&P tappet plate if you do go for the G&P.

I own a CA M15A1 but upgraded it with G&P and RS parts and some custom work. My advice would be to get the WGC Custom one and put a CA or TM gearbox in it if you a little better performance.

One more thing...

I dont mind the thread jacking, I made this thread specificly for people to get information and ask questions about Vietnam style airsoft. Questions and info in posts are welcome.

Ok cool  but so how bad is the WGC custom? like can I shoot atleast a couple thosand rounds before I have to put a new________ in? Or do I have to buy new _________ right away? Thanks people for the help.

WGC Shop custom gearboxes are really G&P ones and are in no way ###### but just not as good as CA or TM ones. If you would rather have a little bit worse gearbox than install and buy a new one, a stock WGC Shop custom gun is fine. The WGC Shop M16A1 is a great gun for a very good price and you wont have to change anything.

If you would rather have a little bit worse gearbox than install and buy a new one, a stock WGC Shop custom gun is fine.

Thats contradictory? Anyways ok so it looks like my next gun will be that and M14 is there a way to tell vietnam US tunics and pants apart from the rest of the other surplus garb? I don't know the xacts so thats why im asking...

I am bad at writing but you get my point about the WGC Shop M16A1, right?

And if I understand you right, you want to know how to tell original U.S. Vietnam era fatiuges from the aftermarket stuff.

If thats your question heres a simple answer. Look at the tag. Aftermarket companies cant put the same labels as original U.S. surplus items although they try to get as close as possible. First the label should say what type of camo it is like ERDL or OG-107 and it should also say something like Coat, Man's, Combat Tropical or something somewhat similar to that with some different words. Next to tell what year the thing was made you look at the DSA number. Here is an example.

DSA 100-69-C-1162

The 69 means the thing was produced in 1969 if it says 68 it means 1968 etc.

If there is a DSA number with a Vietnam era date, chances are its original surplus.

WGC Shop custom gearboxes are really G&P ones and are in no way ###### but just not as good as CA or TM ones. If you would rather have a little bit worse gearbox than install and buy a new one, a stock WGC Shop custom gun is fine. The WGC Shop M16A1 is a great gun for a very good price and you wont have to change anything.

How good is WGC in terms of ordering stuff? What are the shipping costs like to the States, and how long does it generally take?

I really like WGC Shop and have ordered from them many times. Shipping for a small order is around $25 but shipping for a AEG rifle can be $60 - $70+. I usually get the stuff within a week.

No "special order" if from airsoftadvantage to get free shipping :D Hey M14 is their any other WGC customs that are somewhat 'Nam appropriate? Also on what mags are the most realistic as far as trade marks and metal shell housing? And does WGC screw up the trademarks cause then it would be a total waste...

No "special order" if from airsoftadvantage to get free shipping :D Hey M14 is their any other WGC customs that are somewhat 'Nam appropriate? Also on what mags are the most realistic as far as trade marks and metal shell housing? And does WGC screw up the trademarks cause then it would be a total waste...

The XM-177 is nam era but very few saw combat use by the infantry. AlsoWGC shop wont screw up the trades. Its a metal body and its very hard to screw it so its impossible to somehow restore the trades. They will just put putty or tape over the trades to pass customs. G&P 110rd VN mags are most realistic but they have a very weak spring and jam consantly. I modified mine to feed 80rds perfectly though. KA platic 85rd mags are the best value.

The M653 was used by the US Military right when they were starting to pull out of Vietnam. I dont think any saw combat in nam. TM mags are among the best and most realistic, I highly reccomend them.

To tell if something is Vietnam era, either look at the DSA number (if its gear) and see what year the thing was produced or if its a gun, research to see what year the military adopted it.

Archived