Spacers in RAS

SlvrDragon50

not all bodies and barrels are made to the same tolerance. The barrel spacers are used to sandwhich the barrel to the receiver as you tighten the FF locking collar.

The funny thing is, I never needed to use spacers on ris/ras kits that came with the spacers, and on the kits that didn't come with spacers, I had to use them. Murphy's law anyone?

Blah, im in the same boat as you man.

Everytime ive had to install any kind of ras kit that came with spacers i either needed them or didnt. Its very strange, some bodies would fit the same ras kit differently.

Right I'll go out on a limb here since I'm not getting a straight answer.

The washers are to get the correct stand-off between the barrel and the upper receiver. This provides you with the ability to tailor how far the barrel nut screws onto the receiver and in so doing fine tune the orientation of the barrel nut and therefore the RAS.

If you have a FF RAS that replicates a Knight's Armament RAS then you should have two pins which slot into the holes in the Barrel nut. These pins engage with the RAS and prevent it from rotating when you do the outside Delta Ring nut up tight. Without these pins it will be very hard, or rather frustrating, to keep the RAS rails centred as you tighten the Delta ring.

The large thin washers, through trial and error, allow the Barrel nut be done up tight so that the holes, pins and RAS itself are square to the upper receiver. Therefore you put on as few or as many as is required to achieve this.

It is quite feasible that you can get away with using none as the receiver and barrel nut threads may be cut just so. However, this is unlikely and you'll probably end up using 2 or 3.

For example on my CA barrel I have 2 to correct the orientation of the Barrel nut and so keep my non FF RAS square when the Barrel nut is done up tight.

I know quite a few makers of the kits don't actually include the pins. If you've got some think yourself lucky that you won't be on your hands and knees with the receiver between your legs while you hold the RAS with one hand and do the nut up with the other. A real pain.

Fat dumpy things, about 5mm by 10mm. You should have two and you put them left and right or top and bottom and it locks the RAS to the barrel nut and prevents it spinning in relation to the rest of the gun while you do the Delta ring nut up tight.

Archived