Metal Pistons

M14

I recently stripped a stock TM plastic piston in my Inokatsu M60A1 and was wondering if the metal pistons, specificly the systema one, are any good. Do they wear out the gears faster or anything bad like that? I replaced the stripped piston with another plastic one and thats what I am using right now.

Well most people feel its better to have a cheap poly piston wear out than a more expensive piston and possibly a gearset. If your using it in a support weapon than I would say no. If you fire that much then you risk damaging your piston and possibly your GB shell. Leave metal pistons for tougher springs and get yourself a nice polycarb.

As has been said, the weakest link in any system will be the one that breaks.

If you fit a metal piston in your gun you fill find that the spur gear and/or bevel gear will mangle themselves the next time the gun jams or some other bad thing happens.

On that note, you need to ask yourself why the piston stripped.

Did you get a BB jam which caused it or was it just fatigue due to the level of power you're running at?

If it was a jam then you'll break something else next time.

If it is wear and/or fatigue then maybe a metal piston is the way to go.

But...

Support weapons are supposed to lay down lots of fire.

Having a heavy metal piston rattling around for long periods might cause premature damage to your gearbox housing.

I forget who but somebody (madbull?) now make a poly piston which has about 8 metal teeth.

One of these might be the ideal solution for you. Same weight as a poly piston but with metal teeth.

Well, 2 Inokatsu M60s that I had to repair both had the pickup gears on the utter #### orange pistons that are standard in the Inokatsu. I've replaced them with stock TM pistons and they run even better than before. The Ino standard is really badly made, id reccomend a TM (if you havnt already changed it to a TM).

I had put a TM piston in when I was upgrading the spring (M120) and cleaning the gun out. Right now a CA piston is in the gun, it was the only spare piston I had. I will probably put a polycarb piston in it soon. The piston stripped just from being used every weekend and the high ROF.

Archived