Fuser

First off, amazing premise, as any Stephen King novel has.

This is where (in recent years) they usually blow it with movies adapted from Stephen King's books. People have to understand that although he is a successful writer, that does not mean his work can be automatically transcribed to film and have the same effect. All of these new films adapted from Stephen King's books are bad, IMO, either because of the directing or because they are just better left to the imagination.

Don't get me wrong; films like Misery, Salem's Lot, Carrie and The Green Mile are awesome. But lately, I've found movies like Dream Catcher, The Dead Zone and more recently 1408 to be lacking in the departments of true horror, pure suspense, and the meaning of subtle terror.

Why 1408 was good:

Samuel L. Jackson makes any movie good (That's a joke, down boy)

John Cusack also gave a great performance

The idea of an evil hotel room is great

The plot unraveled rather nicely

Why it sucked, IMO

Other than Cusack and Jackson, bad acting

Again with the story of a father who looses his daughter

And had problems with his father

Not suspenseful

No "subtle horror", nothing left to the imagination

Plot kind of fell apart at the end

Worst of all

SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING

This is the kind of film that you'd expect to have a huge twist at the end (I won't provide examples because it'd ruin the movie), but it doesn't. You could argue that it does, but I think if you call that a twist, then a horse's *albatross* could pass for a twist.

Something happens in the end and it leaves you thinking "Okay, why did none of the other 56 people who died in this room ever think of doing that?" Made no sense to me.

SLIGHT SPOILER OVER

See it if you want, but if I could turn back time I'd save my money for Transformers. Or hookers, whichever has better special effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived