"Designated Marksman"

TheMerchantOfVenice

Hey all,

I cannot qualify 100% on being a sniper-why? I'm not an extremely good shot, but I'm a good shot. And I want to compromise between sniper and mid-range assault (which is my main class). I would basically take my loadout, +face paint+ net+ covering my gun+ stalking. I could be the "eyes and ears" but not a sniper. A scout would be the word. Anyone else have this kind of problem/position? I WANT to be a sniper, but the Ghillie heat doesn't sound fun, and I like CQB too. So I wanted to make them together, which was a Support CQB/Scout. So, is anyone else this class? Support/Scout?

You don't need a full ghillie suit. A partial one or just a full body scrim net do me fine.

Just remember, it's only airsoft. There also isn't any real difference in accuracy to the guns.

To be honest, the accuracy of airsoft guns is so poor compared to real steel that only a basic understanding of marksmanship is necessary. But yeah, you still need to practice it a bit.

I think people spend too much time trying to put themselves in a catergory. Just be what you want to be :)

Yeah i agree with tmfreak, your shooting can be improved, as can your fieldcraft skill. What rifle do you use for your sniper/dm role? If its full auto you cant have as much power, and therefore you have to be able to get closer to your targets, but it is easier to E&E if things go "pearshaped". If you use something bolt action, then you will need to rely more on cover and concealment.

I'd imagine the biggest problem an airsoft player who wants to start sniping will find is that they lack the stalking skills to get close enough to a target in order to take a shot. But again with practice you can improve this so it really depends on what you would prefer to do, and how you would prefer to see yourself.

To be the "eyes and ears" will require greater skill than being a dm, because you will have to use stealth, whereas if you stayed near/with your team (Designated marksman style) then you would only need to be as stealthy as the rest of your team. You could cover advances and retreats and so on, and you would be in the thick of the action and will have the chance to be in cqb situations. And this wouldnt stop you from moving away from your team to scout the area that they're about to advance on.

So if i were you, i'd stick with your team, it seems you would get the kind of action you want in more of a DM role than anything else, if that loses its appeal, then you can always ease into the role of sniper/scout.

Sorry if that was really long-winded, just in that kinda mood :P

Thanks

That makes plenty of sense axl.

Just make sure that whatever position you are playing that it is comfortable to your playing skills and that you enjoy it.

Im sure plenty of us have been dedicated enough to want to become a marksman or sniper that we have taught ourselves to be patient. Im guilty in that section :D :D

get a gun with a good hop up so your shots can go farther. I can see what you're saying about a ghillie.

I recommend only doing a top but do it so your chest is clear and it's only on your back and you have a hood on. The hood really helps at concealing your position but you can also take it off and with the chest and midsection clear on the front, you can have easy access to your mags.

Hey all,

I cannot qualify 100% on being a sniper-why? I'm not an extremely good shot, but I'm a good shot. And I want to compromise between sniper and mid-range assault (which is my main class). I would basically take my loadout, +face paint+ net+ covering my gun+  stalking. I could be the "eyes and ears" but not a sniper. A scout would be the word. Anyone else have this kind of problem/position? I WANT to be a sniper, but the Ghillie heat doesn't sound fun, and I like CQB too. So I wanted to make them together, which was a Support CQB/Scout. So, is anyone else this class? Support/Scout?

thats not a DMR, thats a scout, and its what I encourage (and require to pass qualification) all the "snipers" at my site to do before getting into actual sniping.

In airsoft, a DMR is just an assualter that wants to hurt people with a powerful gun.

Sniping is a play style, being a good shot helps, but being sneaky is a requirement, people put all this emphasis on the rifle, but the greatest rifle wont make a bad sniper any better, and a really good sniper doesnt need a rifle at all.

tbh mate, i think you need to stop worrying about what you class yourself as.

i work well as a marksman in a squad, but i can also be rather quick to pop off and go solo for a bit.

i'd class myself as a designated marksman, but i love going solo which kinda contradicts that.

it is only airsoft, so just play it and have fun ;)

Too true. As much as some people pretend, this isn't real life, and (most of us) aren't real soldiers. So this is a fake battlefield! Pick a gun you like, find a basic definition of a combat role and play it.

Sniping is a play style, being a good shot helps, but being sneaky is a requirement, people put all this emphasis on the rifle, but the greatest rifle wont make a bad sniper any better, and a really good sniper doesnt need a rifle at all.

TDS is on the money. The tool is not as important as your mindset and tactics. Sometimes I crawl, sometimes I run... I do whatever will get me the result.

Using a springer as a starting gun is great advice and only later move onto AEG's or higher powered models. Many of the best players i have met learnt that way against AEG. It soon teaches you to use your brain and not to be seen or else its game over.

Good Hunting ;)

Archived