"Designated Marksman"

TheMerchantOfVenice

Well must admit, I take it all pretty seriously; as a SPORT that is. However, I do not in anyway try to kid myself I am like a real marksman/sniper or anyone else for that matter other than myself. Pretending I am something I am not, would be a massive weakness, as it would fog my thinking/tactics. You need a clear head in this game.

I find it strange when other people just go for a "laugh," yet spend vast amounts of money on their equipment, when something cheaper would be ample for a bit of fun. :huh: Really, all players want to be the best and are competetive. If you don't have that drive to win and face opponents who do, then you will lose 9 times out of ten.

Stay focussed and forget anything that is not practical, or giving you its value for money.

TDS was pointing out that DM players with high powered AEG accompanied by several team m8's will have little oppertunity to ambush or stalk (his team will give him away much of the time). Therefore, he will soon end up in a firefight situation (due to Airsoft ranges) and as TDS says, be an assaulter who has a more dangerous gun (due to ROF and high power, even at MED's).

Sam is spot on. KILL is a word that is used way out of context in Airsoft. A word that is thrown about way too much IMO and reflects todays society with all its problems. Killing someone is not something that should be fantasised over and only people who have really killed would understand the taboo involved with such things. Sorry if I sound high and mighty about this matter, but it's something I have a strong opinion on and will always limit Airsoft and other people's perception of it while the norm.

Glorification of war just breeds more wars. Remember innocent people die in all wars.

Good Hunting ;)

he's just mad cause it's true.  just look at this guns.

hah, yeah

What the f**k are you talking about?

That's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard!

I can't even begin to imagine how you could try to justify that comment.

why dont you cry about it.

I dont think its a big secret what I think about aeg snipers.

But in my experience, being the guy that the 2nd largest airsoft group in the US goes to for advice on sniping/fps rules/ect. a disturbingly high percentage of players will try to push thier luck with a soft FPS limit, expecially if they can just "shoot in semi" and fire as hard as any of the sniper rifles out there.

The most dangerous are definatly the players that want to play /dmr/ about 90% of the time with an absurdly upgraded aeg, and while the benefits of having a DMR or sharpshooter in a squad can be argued in real life and in airsoft, every single gun related injury in the 5 years ive been playing has been from one of these DMRs units getting flanked or overwhelmed and they do not obey distance rules either on purpose, or by accident, even when you have people like me running around with guns shooting close to 4J which is far above and beyond what people think is reasonable, 100% of the time its one of these guys firing an "accidental" shot into someones face at close range. Even requiring a rather stringent accuracy test and range estimation qualification, this NEVER changed. My opinion has and allways will be that somone without the disipline and patience to play a sniper position properly cannot handle firing a high powered gun.

As this year started we completely removed the DMR "fake sniper" position from our league and since then we have had zero problems, injuries, or even complaints to my knowledge beyond one guy with a strafer who's reg malfunctioned. Anyone wanting to play a "sniper" and use the sniper FPS limits need to learn to play the position properly, and are given seperate objectives from thier main team for the most part.

You can just as easily "DMR" in a squad unit with any gun tuned for accuracy, but giving impatient, numpty assed players guns capable of grevious injury and sticking them in squads of players with guns that shoot half as far that they need to follow is just asking for problems.

this all is assuming your "DMR" players are shooting at a higher limit than others, if this isnt the case, then go nuts, you can call your position voltron for all i care but your still just another riflemen.

I USED to play as a DMR and I had a powerful gun but I always thought of myself as a sniper so I always shot from a long distance. I sold the gun because it had too much FPS(yes, i know. it's weird hearing that), it was heavy, and the TM M14 SOCOM was so much more awesome. Right now, I'm sniping just fine with the M14 SOCOM and me and my sniper swap quite often. I haven't even upgraded the SOCOM yet. It's still completely stock.

Archived