CA Scar CQC Impressions

I wanted to love my CA SCAR.

Really wanted to love it. But I have finally come to admit to myself that it causes me immense pain and suffering.

I have owned mine since the first week they were realised in the UK, and I immediately fell in love with the looks and the feel.

At my first skirmish I chrono'd it, aware of all the envious looks I was getting. A respectable 320fps. Lovely. And it sounded great when being fired.

Went to set the hop up, and realised my mag wasn't feeding properly. Damn I thought, a dead midcap, just what I need. Swapped the mag, same thing, then the next, then the next, You see where this is going?

One broken tappet plate. Back to the shop, not panicking as by now the tappet plate issue was well known, and I was sure once that was replaced, i would be a happy SCAR owner.

No, not at all.

Next event, I chronod it- 220 fps.

220fps. I could throw BBs faster than that. Something must have gone wrong when they were swapping the tappet plate out.

Straight back to the shop the following Tuesday.

Collected from the shop, with the assurance that it had been fixed and was firing at 328 fps.

Took it to the next skirmish, stepped up to the chrono with a grin on my face. 220 fps.

I almost threw up.

And not only that when it was firing it sounded like someone was pinging a loose spring. BOING BOING everytime it fired.

At present it is in a box under my bed. I haven't managed to get to the shop to throw it at them, and to be honest I think I have lost all motivation over this gun. I kind of want to lock it away in an attic and pretend it never existed. I hate it now. Trouble is I'm not sure I can afford to sell it. The market for 2nd hand CA SCARS isn't looking good at all, and I really would be looking at losing £100 on a gun that has fired about 100 BBs and never been skirmished.

Oh well I've got a DoubleEagle UMP , Chinese clone, to fall back on that has performed flawlessly and cost me 1/10th of the price of the CA SCAR.

I am unsure if that makes me want to laugh or cry.

Edited by Serotonin

The shop screwed something up. If i were you i would bring it back there and start screaming bloody murder.

The gun fired 320 fps before you brought it to the shop. Now, after they put their grubby mits all over it, the gun is firing 220? That sounds to me like they screwed up your compression somehow.

Bring it back and get them to fix the problems that THEY caused.

Very nice review, though its more like an essay IMO. My scar has been good since day one, well sort of. It actually chrono'd 300 out of box, though I didnt care much since I was going to change things. Changes were done right away and as follows: polycarb piston head, sp110, madbul hopup bucking and as soon as the cqc barrel came out I got that too and a systema TB barrel. Also changed the motor (G&P high speed mp120)and I use 9.6v Intellect batteries with deans. Gun last chrono'd @ fort ord op cold turkey around 388ave. w/ .20's. Performed very well that day, I'm fortunate enough to not have my tappet plate exlplode or anything else go wrong for that matter. My serial number is 179.

Remind me again why people buy CA? I've had 2 theat I bought (including a scar for about 7 days) and have friends who have bought them. The ONLY decent CA weapon I have come across is the M249. All the others seem to have problems that frankly shouldn't exist.

My scar was a pile of ###### from day 1. The gearbox locked after 2 hours. Back to the shop it went. The replacement sounded great, and was firing at..... 147 fps on average. Back to the shop. One new nozzle later it went up to 300fps. Then the gearbox broke. Back to shop. New gearbox. fps down to 280ish but not too bothered by that. Hop unit made of chocolate though, no use whatsoever. Back to shop. New bucking etc. Slight improvement not meant it could (just) outrange my original TM non hop famas thats god knows how old (it was one of the first into the UK so it must be about 15 or 16 years old?).

By now I'm getting really fed up of it, I dont expect to pay £300 plus for this. To cut a long story short, I went back to the shop and asked for a refund. And bought a JLS scar that works.

The other CA I bought? A G36K. That was better but still too problematical so I swapped it.

Edit for ###### spelling

Edited by R1200RT
Very nice review, though its more like an essay IMO.  My scar has been good since day one, well sort of.  It actually chrono'd 300 out of box, though I didnt care much since I was going to change things.  Changes were done right away and as follows: polycarb piston head, sp110, madbul hopup bucking and as soon as the cqc barrel came out I got that too and a systema TB barrel.  Also changed the motor (G&P high speed mp120)and I use 9.6v Intellect batteries with deans.  Gun last chrono'd @ fort ord op cold turkey around 388ave. w/ .20's.  Performed very well that day, I'm fortunate enough to not have my tappet plate exlplode or anything else go wrong for that matter.  My serial number is 179.

Read the rules <_<

I am very disappointed with my SCAR. It shoot wonderful while it was in one piece. However, after a minor fall in a skirmish, ( Which I am sure most of my chinese guns could survive) the stock broke off at the link. COMPLETELY snapped off. I can't even find another stock to bolt back on there.

So in essence, I wasted my money, and am stuck with a chinese gun until I can re-fill my bank account and perhaps get a VFC Scar. So all you guys with a Scar, NEVER drop it.

Edited by Greatbigwoof

Heh, another person that has had an issue with their stock. It is a persistent problem with generation two airsoft scars. The VFC version three scar appears to have fixed the weak link with the stock but only time will tell.

Also, people buy ca "######" because once tuned they have guns that consistently hit a pie plate sized target at 200 feet on full auto, fire 15 rounds per second and sound smooth as butter.

My ca scar is the best aeg ive owned and ive owned some stupidly modified guns. Did it take alot of work to get it to this point? Yes, it sure did but thats half the fun for me and i guess ive been lucky. All of the fixes that ive had to perform to the gun thus far havent been terribly expensive and the fixes mostly boiled down to personal tuning tweaks that i do to all of my guns anyway.

Are CA guns refined? No, they arent. Do they lack a ton of details that every "high end" airsoft gun should have out of the box? Yes, they certainly do.

Are they good platforms for upgrading? Again, i will answer yes. After some work, and some money my scar is again, the best performing AEG ive ever owned.

Unfortunately, people need to get used to the fact that most AEG's are garbage out of the box and most can perform a hundred times better when they're tweaked. I see way too many people that are happy with the performance of guns that when compared to my own individual standards would make me throw said gun under a passing train.