NNNOOOOOOO

Hatman

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does an AK47s stop being an assault rifle if you fold the stock in then?

and does an M11 become a rifle if fitted with an M16 full stock?

i always thought "rifle" insinuated it had a rifled barrel,

this IS a sniper rifle because it is a "sawn off" sniper rifle... IE, a sniper rifle (which by any definition stated, IS a rifle, and it has been sawn off, therefore it is just a shortened version of the orignal.

nothing changes status simply by removal of the stock

There are technical definitions (a lot of argument over these), army definitions, as well as legal definitions. Which one do you want, and from what country? There are contradicting definitions, and instead of a single correct one you need to know the context to choose what words you use.

You can put a stock on a Glock 17 in Finland, and it's still a pistol. Do the same in the US without the proper paperwork done, and you commit a felony because you created an SBR, "short barreled rifle".

I would call this weapon a pistol, because all the definitions I've found sensible to use mention that a rifle is a weapon you can shoulder. Even if it has a folding stock, the stock is still there, but this one doesn't have a stock. If you broaden the term to mean any weapon with a rifled barrel, you might as well be talking about the grooves in the barrel.

-Sale

Acording to the US government a rifle is a weapon designed from the factory, or by using after market parts, to be fired from the shoulder. I know that ataching a stock to a pistol makes it a rifle, like the Glock Stocks. I'm not sure on the laws regarding turning a rifle into a pistol.

why exactly are we discussing this in regards to an airsoft gun :P

Clearly there is no government legislation regarding what consitutes a rifle in airsoft terms?

if you put a stock on a glock in finland its still a pistol... when in airsoft when you take the stock of a VSR sniper rifle, its still a VSR sniper rifle, just whithout a stock.

at the end of the day its an airsoft toy. plain and simple.

and its made of pure, 100% WIN!

why exactly are we discussing this in regards to an airsoft gun :P

Clearly there is no government legislation regarding what consitutes a rifle in airsoft terms?

Because Airsofts are replicas of real firearms, they should be called by the same term as would be applied for the real counterpart, if any real steel term is to be applied. Otherwise we can just call them 6 mm (or 8 mm) airsoft guns.

-Sale

A rifle is a firearm with a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves ("rifling") cut into the barrel walls

Originally the name "rifle" was short for "rifled gun"; but in many armed forces units it is thought wrong to use the word "gun" to mean a rifle. Furthermore, in many works of fiction a rifle refers to any weapon that has a stock and is shouldered before firing, even if this weapon is not rifled or doesn't fire solid projectiles

well im still going to call it a sawn off rifle, since nobody is disputing the VSR is a rifle, and this is a sawn off VSR, so i think sawn off rifle is perfectly acceptable, anyone who disputes that may as well start calling a CA870 a pistol aswell

Then the FN Five seveN is a rifle, as is any .22lr (Long Rifle) target pistol.

And yes Sledge, if it was something like a Krinkov with no stock I'd call that a Machine Pistol (or a sub machine gun), not an assault riffle.

And if you want to get historical that specific gun is quite similer in shape, and only slightly longer than some of the old black powder handguns.

After thinking on it however, if i where to build a real one I do beleave the cops would take me a way for a supressed SBR. Same if I chopped down my shotgun, if I bought the parts and built it without chopping anything however it would be legal and considered a pistol (same as I did with my 12g).

This is why we can't have anything nice.... Too much arguement over little things!! anyways How about barrel length AND type of ammo used that should be a good indicator of what a rifle is. Besides a rifle does not have to have rifling in order to be a rifle, back than they didn't really have rifling and its still called a rifle.

since every type of gun has in some way or another been molded into the next catagory along at some point, everything gets blurred. and will probably now remain so for the rest of existance since gun models and specs are on the move all the time

Archived