Funny Things Found on Facebook Groups

akman26

You may have noticed the British have no problems making fun of themselves. We just insist it's done well.

Precisely, I mean hell, if you look at British comedy, a lot of it is taking the ###### out of ourselves. I mean look at Monty Python and things like that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Internet was invented by a Swiss guy. :huh:

Bzzzt ... wrong! The internet is mostly a US invention.

The World Wide Web (http/html) was invented by the famous Swiss bloke Sir Tim Berners-Lee (the clue to his nationality is in his title) who was working at CERN (in Switzerland) when he came up with the idea. The web is only a part of the larger entity known as the 'internet'.

D

And the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the 5.56mm NATO cartridge, and the 7.62mm NATO cartridge.

EDIT: And the Colt SAA. And the Browning-FN Hi-Power. And the M1918 BAR. And Transformers. And Star Wars. And Star Bucks. And Cinnabon. And muscle cars.

EDIT2: MOST SURPRISING NEWS EVAR: Brits find foreigners mocking their country to be un-funny, while Brits mocking other people's countries is hilarious family fun. But first, jerky: Is it really just venison? And, later: How to discern whether or not what you're looking at is a crow or a raven. These stories and more, tonight at 11.

okay.. there are some inaccuracies in this text that i personally know of , allow me to point them out and correct them

The Belgians made and designed the FN HighPower (Browning got the idea of the gun but died before the work was completed , the Belgians refined and finished the design) , not the Americans

the Belgians redesigned the 5.56 round to the by NATO adopted version (we just made it better for all NATO countries to like it but yes , you invented the 5.56 round)

okay , end of the preach :D

As long as it's standardised without a 'z' and not called gas or gasoline that's fine  :D

Deal. I rather like "petrol" myself. Also, can you guys across the pond PLEASE help us re-designate "trucks" as "lorries"?

I want all the Ford F-350 Super-dee-duper Ultra Cab 4.5 Triton V8 Nuclear-powered Texas King Ranch Off-Road 4x4 Edition "trucks" to become "lorries." Then nobody will buy the damned gas-guzzlers to drive 5 miles down the road (in suburbia, no less!) to work, as it'd just sound silly. Lorry takes all the masculinity out of it, and thus, there would be no point in having those eye/earsores around anymore. A double-win, I think.

i have no problem with people taking the micky out of britain but it has to be light hearted and truthful.

me niether, i love taking the micky out of our country almost as much as love taking the mick out of others. if the humour is witty and actually funny then no problem, but if its just spiteful and retarded then no, its just ######,

i love the micky taking out out tea fetish, im not a big tea drinker myself. but when i had my brit loadout i modified a gas mask pouch with foam inserts to hold a china cup and saucer, a small flask and a little pouch for teabags. never got around to taking afternoon tea mid skirmish though mores the pitty.

edit: thewallhitme, using numbers to get around the swear filter is against the rules, please read them

Deal. I rather like "petrol" myself. Also, can you guys across the pond PLEASE help us re-designate "trucks" as "lorries"?

Great idea in principle but we have a better way

First you tax personal income heavily ... secondly you tax the hell out of everything else and also ensure that affordable housing consumes as much remaining income as possible.

That way nobody can realistically afford to run a 'lorry'.

The tax payable on the lorry itself makes it a substantial purchase!

Then you tax petrol and add 17.5% VAT to the already taxed fuel so that it's well over $10 per US gallon.

Then you tax the lorry more than smaller cars and make sure that insurance premiums are high for large vehicles.

London has a congestion charge (tax) that penalises bigger vehicles and our only toll motorway does the same. Other cities are planning to follow.

Then the coup de gras ... you spend a tiny amount of your tax based income on road improvements and make sure that gridlock rules.

Can you spot the common theme? :)

D

okay.. there are some inaccuracies in this text that i personally know of , allow me to point them out and correct them

The Belgians made and designed the FN HighPower (Browning got the idea of the gun but died before the work was completed , the Belgians refined and finished the design) , not the Americans

the Belgians redesigned the 5.56 round to the by NATO adopted version (we just made it better for all NATO countries to like it but yes , you invented the 5.56 round)

okay , end of the preach :D

There would be no FN-Browning Hi-Power with out Americans, though. :P

I have to agree on the American standardisation of Petrol pricing though.

As long as it's standardised without a 'z' and not called gas or gasoline that's fine  :D

Hell, if it's only around 35p/litre you can call it p##s and dip me in it for all I care :P

I found the first funnier than the second too, mostly because the second was a direct point-to-point answer to the first one. And a quite laager-ish one to add insults to injury...

fnfr3ger: 5.56 (.223 Rem as originally called, it was a civilan caliber at first after all) is indeed american, but the SS109 is belgian, and far superior. Don't forget that the .308 Win was imposed by the US, killing the promissing franco-british 7mm, only to be abandonned for the 5.56 once the whole NATO switched to 7.62.

RedRaptor: couldn't agree more on the topic stupidly oversized and overpowered trucks for urban driving. We have the same here with Porche, VW and Audi's version, just more luxuous and nice. Oh, and I also agree with the very limited importance of the name of petrol compared to its ridiculous price in Europe (and even more in the UK!)

Delfi: it's coup de grâce, but otherwise I agree with the idea...

Now, why is Tea Time so far away... need my fix!

fnfr3ger: 5.56 (.223 Rem as originally called, it was a civilan caliber at first after all) is indeed american, but the SS109 is belgian, and far superior. Don't forget that the .308 Win was imposed by the US, killing the promissing franco-british 7mm, only to be abandonned for the 5.56 once the whole NATO switched to 7.62.

Were that true, I suspect that there wouldn't be very many rifles in the US chambered for .223 Remington rather than 5.56mm NATO. As it is, the only 5.56mm NATO rifle available to civvies in the US is made by DPMS Panther Arms. All others (including most of DPMS's) are chambered for .223 Remington.

Can you spot the common theme?  :) 

D

Vote Democrat? :D

Blackgoat - the only thing worse than those eyesores driving is having to be the poor ###### (read: me) who has to take thier orders on drive thru. I can't hear the order over the roar of the V8 diesel, so they turn it off. After I DO take the order, they START THE DAMNED THING RIGHT IN MY EAR. And if you've ever heard one of those giant trucks start, amplify that by about 3x and put it on a microphone that outputs right next to your eardrum.

And my parents think it's my iPod killing my hearing. Pah!

That may hold some truth, however Fabrique Nationale would still have created a great pistol eventually anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point no?

History says otherwise:

Number of exceptional pistols produced by FN: 1

Number of exceptional pistols produced by FN, not counting the Hi-Power: 0

And Star Bucks.

not something to be proud of...

Mr. Browning is someone to be proud of, however.

And who cares if FN had to finish his pistol, its pretty crappy anyway, at least thats what ive heard from ex-soldiers..

and its fine to extract the Michael from (other) countries; if you find it offensive you need to learn about sticks and stones

Yeah, but the -22A's all ours. :D

But who honestly care's?

I'm proud of our EF2000, it's sleek, looks teh sechs when flying, and it looks more thrilling than a rollercoaster at a theme park.

Oh, and it's European made.

Suck on that...

the F-35J, to me looks like another F22A, ... really, the only things that have been changed on it are the size, it has 1 engine instead of 2, and during the prototype stage, it drastically struggled to even lift off the ground.

Oh,.. another thing i'm proud of, Rolls Royce jet engine's, .. you'll never beat em, which is why you see them under the wings of Boeing's and Airbus's.

Archived