ABU Picture Request

tommyknocker2121

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don't get me started on our new uniforms - they make me want to hurl. The boots look like baby poop - I will be wearing desert boots until threatened with an Article 15. The uniforms themselves feel like they've been soaked in starch for 12 hours. Lightweight and desert friendly they are not. I spoke with some of the manufacturers (Propper and Alpha Industries) at the Security Forces conference a couple months ago and even THEY thought the Air Force made a bad decision with these.

But no, I don't have any pics of them in field use.

why is the military even switching uniforms!?

i mean since the Marine Corps switched to MARPAT everyone is wanting new uniforms and most of them suck

MARPAT=good

ACU=good desert/urban-bad everywhere else

ABU=bad/pointless

Navy uniforms=worse of them all, you don't need camo on a ship

DCU's were fine for desert

Me thinks the military is wasting a whole bunch of money on camo that we don't need

why is the military even switching uniforms!?

i mean since the Marine Corps switched to MARPAT everyone is wanting new uniforms and most of them suck

MARPAT=good

ABU=bad/pointless

Navy uniforms=worse of them all, you don't need camo on a ship

DCU's were fine for desert

Me thinks the military is wasting a whole bunch of money on camo that we don't need

The USAF higher-ups want us to look 'unique', as we're all wearing basically old Army Woodlands. When we take off our tops, so the US AIR FORCE tape is no longer visible, civies think we're army men, when we do tasks such as the Katrina clean up and so forth. They want recognition and a unique uniform is one way to accomplish that.

That and an excuse for a bigger budget.

Even though we're cutting 40,000 Airmen due to budget. Politics...

Personally, I don't care. I wear a flight suit :P

From what I've seen in Air Force Times news paper, some like it, some don't. Same thing with the ACUs.

I believe that the term you're searching for was "trash-hauler" uniform. And if the USAF issues Multicam before the Army does, watch out.

Granted, from rumblings that I've heard, the ACU might be on the way out in a few years anyways because of the problems that the Army's gotten from it.

well,

the ACU is a good camo for urban operations, mountain warfare and even sometimes the desert but the material used is cheap and the the dye fades

i don't think the army should neccisarily ditch the pattern but develop a woodland version like the USMC which has 2 digital patterns

however, multicam is good and should be adopted by the armed forces

As I'm sure we all know, special forces from all branches wear Multicam.

From what I've heard (as reliable as that is), the Army is going Multicam in 10 or so years. Sounds too good to be true.

As for the Air Force wearing Multicam. I think we should where it counts. For someone like me (Aircrew) Multicam really doesn't do much for us.

ABU=bad/pointless

From a distance over 20 yds or so they look pretty much identical from my personal experience at the uniform shop. Virtually indistinguishable. Also, they use the same color scheme, with the exception of the hardly noticeable blue so I don't see how ACU is any better than ABU, they are both ridiculous color schemes. The only reason that the ACU IS better, is from it's cut and ergonomics which I think is second to none.

the ABU is pointless though because they just modified the ACU in color and scheme and the AF doesn't really need its own camo pattern because they don't really have front line infantry troops

i do like that they are bringing back tiger stripe

Please tell that to the PJs, TAC-Ps, Combat Controllers, and Security Forces troops. Security Forces are taking heaps of ILO (In Lieu Of) missions over from the Army. Real door-kicker stuff. Please tell them that they aren't a combat unit.

i know that the AF has combat troops but they don't have large amounts of them like the Army or Marine Corps

what i mean is they don't have divisions of combat troops like the 3rd Infantry or other infantry divisions, they have smaller units and SF

its like the navy where they have combat troops but not a lot

I think they look pretty cool to be honest and in sight of what anyone else says i would rather be wearing these and have them work when ejecting from a plane that get shot to pieces in mid air. Woodland BDU just is'nt good enough for pilots besides its a nice urban camouflage and would work well at night.

Pilots and flightcrew all wear flightsuits - which are solid sage green in color. They won't be wearing ABUs.

Last thing i heard on the ABU was that it was going to be barracks uni. not a combat uni. and that a combat uni. was being developed.

And yes the US army will be fading out the ACU, they already are if what i hear (on good authority) is true. But i very much doubt it will be for multicam, because it will still be too expensive for them.

ABU is a good pattern its just a ###### colour like ACU.

When will you crazy yanks learn :D

i dont know but from an unreliable source the navy RMC are going to be getting a digital DPM pattern, so maybe we are in the same postion, i still think MARPAT works pretty *fruitcage* well so kudos to them for MARPAT.

But why have camouflage uniforms then, do they wear them under the flightsuits, i think they should have new flightsuits made in the same clour and pattern as the ABU, it will blend in with sky better, or possibly blue tiger stripe.

The urge to stick out?

If I wanted to stick out, I'd wear ACU. I laugh whenever someone comes to a game in ACU. "He's moving left! Now he's moving right! Now hes standing still!"

Pilots and flightcrew all wear flightsuits - which are solid sage green in color.  They won't be wearing ABUs.

Don't forget aircrew who are deployed to the desert wear tan flightsuits. They're actually pretty comfy.

The Air Force is trying to make a 'universal camo' like the Army did with the ACU (we all know how that turned out).

As for flightsuits, it was rumored that we'd get tiger stripe flightsuits, but haven't heard a peep about that for a long while, just news on the ABU and new Blues.

Flightsuits arn't ment to blend in the sky. Pilots and aircrew are usually inside of the plane. We are taught how to smear mud and camo paint on our flightsuits for SERE.

Archived