Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

i took a few shots with the gun after zeroin the scope so from 90 feet you will see what the grouping is like

aw338015.jpg

Errr... these groups a tad big for a sniper rifle. :unsure:

Make sure you get some heavier, quality BBs.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there really any need for HPA with a sniper rifle?

Yes. You'll get a much more consistent, fully winter capable, adjustable gas rifle. The hose is not a problem, I've 3 classic guns and spent quite a lot of time hugging the ground with them.

BTW, who needs a gas rifle when you can have a spring operated, much more reliable spring sniper rifle. :))

I have an A.I.C.S., and I use it all the time, summer and winter, on winter green gas, and it's fine.

Hate it when people say gas guns don't work in the winter. Of course they do, that's what winter gas is for!!

Not sure that I like this STAR gun though. Might be the company's reputation, or it could be that I don't like guns that come with everything and a pair of camo's in the box.

Definitely get heavier BB's. I use .43's in my Tanaka, firing nearly bang on 500 FPS.

for a gun you say beats the tanaka and maruzen versions 'hands down', its accuracy is awfull, its fps is lower, star recomends this for $645 and wgc sell the AICS for $435, and as for build quality, i havnt see the star build quality in person, but i havnt seen anything wrong with my AICS in terms of build quality.

$200 more for something thats imo worse then the AICS. I guess if its easily upgradable you could make it perform just as well as an AICS, but still, its more expensive.

I wonder when we will have a member here who has both - the STAR AW338 and the Tanaka AICS, and who knows how to compare these in every aspect from raw build quality to in-field testing and skirmish reports. With BOTH rifles!

I still can not decide weather to get the Tanaka for its known performance and lots of upgrade possibilities or the STAR AW338 since it is new, it comes with great extras and it has a new system.

Bjorn

I Have had both the maruzen l98 and the aics (after spending a lot on it )

Both have had money pumped into them the aics felt nicer and looked better the L96 shot 1000 times better

Aics sold

Im sure the star carnt hit man sized targets at 70 metres 5 shots out of five

well, once again I am still drooling with anticipation on this one.

I am not justifying £500 on something that may be gash, so I am holding off this time until some more reviews come out of the woodwork.

Having switched (breifly) to CO2 through my VSR gas bolt, and noticing the incredible increase in accuracy (compared to the stock gas bolt running on green) which was almost on par with a spring VSR, I can vouch for CO2 regulation.

I shall be trying this in my Tanaka (Kar98) and if successful, will be reclaiming my old AICS to stick it in there.

This is unless the Star AW338 proves to be an absolute winner. which thus far from the accuracy test is leaving me wanting. The Gas VSR was recording groupings of about 4" at 35m (approx 105ft). So thats the bench mark.

for a gun you say beats the tanaka and maruzen versions 'hands down', its accuracy is awfull, its fps is lower, star recomends this for $645 and wgc sell the AICS for $435, and as for build quality, i havnt see the star build quality in person, but i havnt seen anything wrong with my AICS in terms of build quality.

$200 more for something thats imo worse then the AICS. I guess if its easily upgradable you could make it perform just as well as an AICS, but still, its more expensive.

well the tanaka is bare extras that you get with the star you get bipod, scope , scope mounts , flashider , that gorgeus outer barrel you buy these items for the tanaka and that gun will cost more than the star as a complete package. i have the maruzen l96 and all possilbe extras have went into that gun bringing it to 620fps and shoots straight as a die and cost a hell of a lot more so why did i buy the star considering what i have i played with the tanaka for a while which had the pcs bolt and the gun is good but there was times when the weather was really ###### and the gun performed ###### and this put me of gas rifles so i was very reluctant to buy the star the looks won me over secondly you can get a handwarmer and keep the mag warm so the fps is up there cant do this with the tanaka as i do this with my pistol mags

right the accuracy was done a 90 feet with me in a prone position there was movement with the gun and this gun is heavy heavy weights twice the weight of my maruzen and more front heavy with bipod so its pulling down . so i think the target grouping is good . The target page is a tad smaller than a a4 page !!!!!

you say the star came with a bipod scope, mounts and flashider well lets talk about them for a second.

If the flash hider is metal, $20 to $30 could be saved if they didnt include it, its just for looks and isnt needed, if ppl want it they should buy it seperatly.

Same deal with scope, mounts and bipod, although they are much more usefull then a flash hider, star is forcing you to buy them with the gun, tanaka lets you buy the stuff seperatly so you have a CHOICE of what addons you use without forcing you to buy their choice of addons as well.

As for the outter barrel, again, its just for looks so they could just use a generic flat outter barrel, and save yet more money, thus making the guns price more viable.

Now to the accuracy issue, you say there was movement? what was this from? in a prone position with a decent bipod (and stable ground) you should get much better grouping then that at 90ft unless there was a very random wind.

IMO, if star cut out all the addons and such, the price could be lowered a lot, and people would be happy that they have their own choice of scope and such. With some new parts the gun could become more accurate, but i guess we will have to wait and see if any1 does some proper accuracy tests with an upgraded aw338

you say the star came with a bipod scope, mounts and flashider well lets talk about them for a second.

If the flash hider is metal, $20 to $30 could be saved if they didnt include it, its just for looks and isnt needed, if ppl want it they should buy it seperatly.

Same deal with scope, mounts and bipod, although they are much more usefull then a flash hider, star is forcing you to buy them with the gun, tanaka lets you buy the stuff seperatly so you have a CHOICE of what addons you use without forcing you to buy their choice of addons as well.

As for the outter barrel, again, its just for looks so they could just use a generic flat outter barrel, and save yet more money, thus making the guns price more viable.

Now to the accuracy issue, you say there was movement? what was this from? in a prone position with a decent bipod (and stable ground) you should get much better grouping then that at 90ft unless there was a very random wind.

IMO, if star cut out all the addons and such, the price could be lowered a lot, and people would be happy that they have their own choice of scope and such. With some new parts the gun could become more accurate, but i guess we will have to wait and see if any1 does some proper accuracy tests with an upgraded aw338

m8 you go on about parts that are just for looks well this gun is a replic of the real one theres no point putting other parts on it and leaving parts of it and still call it an aw338 when it wont look like it , and the bit about the flashhider well i could write a list of guns that comes with this but why dont the manufactures leave them off hence guns could become cheaper and buy them if you want them why they on ? because there a 1/1 scale of the real model .

i didnt put my pics up and show how the gun shot out of the box not touching the hop up and the only thing i did was zero the scope to be slated m8 and i didnt use the bipod when i was shooting the target. Also if that target was your head 90 feet away i`d have 20 headshots !!!!

And you wait until you have the star aw338 in your hand and then say its not worth 500 quid cause it is believe me it is

and heres the link to the real one spot the difference !!

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/

the flash hider and barrel may need to be the way it is to look like that specific model, but scopes and scope mounts are a very personal thing, different people use different scopes, in airsoft and real life. So my point still remains, i think its wrong of them to force ppl to buy the scope and mounts with the rifle.

Sorry for trying to point out the bad points after you just got the weapon, but i feel it has to be said. Ive never seen/fired a l96 in real life, but having a relative that owns a real m700 which uses a AI stock, which i have fired a fair few times at the rifle range at bisley, and that weapon feels no different (just holding it, im not talking about how firing it feels) from my tanaka AICS.

i dont disagree that your weapon could feel the same as its real life counterpart, the same way the AICS does, and is a good rifle. But what i do disagree with is you saying its better then the AICS.

What an absurd argument going on here! Let's not even get in to all the issues people have reported with their Tanaka's... But seriously, so much heated discussion when there really isn't much real data to support an educated conclusion. An accuracy test conducted at 90 feet prone unsupported with unnamed .20g bbs through a high velocity rifle can hardly be called conclusive...

What an absurd argument going on here!  Let's not even get in to all the issues people have reported with their Tanaka's...  But seriously, so much heated discussion when there really isn't much real data to support an educated conclusion.  An accuracy test conducted at 90 feet prone unsupported with unnamed .20g bbs through a high velocity rifle can hardly be called conclusive...

Agreed a real review is needed to prove how it shoots with differnt wieght bbs and differnt gases

Yes it looks the sex but i was questioning the performace factor for a rifle that cost £500 for a uk retailer

aswaffield,

I'm looking forward to joining you in AW338 ownership in the next few weeks. I was wondering about the configuration of the flash hider. It appears to have a thread on the front for a moderator, but I'm assuming you'd need to cover the muzzle brake slots in the sides of the hider for it to function properly. Any thoughts, having the metal at hand?

Cheers,

Martyn

Why include the AICS the AICS is a remington 700 base its not even based on the same rifle! This should really be between the Maruzen and the STAR since they are actually replicas of the same rifle.

The OP brought up the subject of the gun beating the tanka 'hands down', so i was just responding to that.

Dist, it looks like you're pretty intent on peeing in his cereal. Leave it be, man. As with all STAR products - if you can't pay the cash, don't whine about it.

I can pay the cash fine, but i just dont see why i should be forced to buy stars choice of scope and mounts. And fine ill stop 'peeing in his cereal', but when some1 says their gun beats my gun 'hands down' i want them to show some proper reasoning behind why they think that.

But fine, ill leave it at that, good luck with your new gun.

Hmm well it looks nice but imo you really need some form of PCS on gas rifles. My tanaka can fluctuate enough from the temperature that I have to check it's FPS before taking it out into the field (site limit is 500fps, I usually have to turn the power down). I hadn't used it for some months, took it out to the site and chrono'd it at 800+fps (very hot day)! It was still set for winter :o

As I said, it looks nice. But it'd be have to be an absoulte gem out the box before I coughed up 500 notes to Z1!

edit:

[...] secondly  you can get a handwarmer and keep the mag warm so the fps is up there cant do this with the tanaka  as i do this with my pistol mags [...]

Wait. Why can't you do this with Tanaka mags? I've not had a problem doing that :unsure:

faust, not having the gun i cant give you a definitive awnser but i am very sure you have to. :)

as for the accuracy of the gun so far, its not as bad as i first thought, i was under the impression it was done on a bipod and had the hop fiddled with a bit. However, after properly reading it was done without a bipod and he was trying to zero his scope, that is half decent, if the hop is played around with and a bipod used, this could be on the money - who knows (not slating your shooting skills aswaffield, as i know it is difficult to stady a 6 kilo gun prone.)

as to telling the difefrence between the star and the AI, easy, take the mag out :P. also the star has shallower flutes and wont have the same trade marks.

as for that silencer comment, the vanishing flashider from maruzen may do the job of covering the vents as that is what the real one is meant to do, may be made to different specs though.

faust, not having the gun i cant give you a definitive awnser but i am very sure you have to. :)

as for the accuracy of the gun so far, its not as bad as i first thought, i was under the impression it was done on a bipod and had the hop fiddled with a bit. However, after properly reading it was done without a bipod and he was trying to zero his scope, that is half decent, if the hop is played around with and a bipod used, this could be on the money - who knows (not slating your shooting skills aswaffield, as i know it is difficult to stady a 6 kilo gun prone.)

as to telling the difefrence between the star and the AI, easy, take the mag out :P. also the star has shallower flutes and wont have the same trade marks.

as for that silencer comment, the vanishing flashider from maruzen may do the job of covering the vents as that is what the real one is meant to do, may be made to different specs though.

Hi the vanishing flashider from maruzen will not do the job as the thred at the tip of the flashider is real size I tried.The AW338 will do 500+on ultra gas and the accuracy is very good shooting from the bipod

Archived