Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

The odd tweak here and there seems to be normal. There's probably a long list of reasons, including adjustment shifting like swaff mentioned, changes in ammo, oil contamination on the hop bucking...

Has anyone noticed any mention of spare mags for the AW yet? Last time I looked the Star site doesn't mention any. It would be nice to have at least one spare for use in the field.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember these are gas rifles and therefore power changes with temperature unless you move onto HPA etc. Therefore setting the rifle up and locking the HOP is not what I would do. Getting into the field on a warm day could end up with your pellets starting to climb or fall early on colder days.

I agree that having an exposed HOP adjuster can be a pain, but I am careful and so far have not had a problem with the tanaka or KJW designs. Having an exposed adjuster is useful if firing at long range and overhead cover (tree canopy) is restricting lob shots. Therefore you can add 1 click of HOP and try to get the shot to loop under the branches and still achieve the range you need.

The beauty of the click adjusters on the KJW and TW guns is that you can count how many clicks you adjust it and then very easily get count back to where you were when you zeroed. The STAR HOP sounds similar to the APS HOP system. I would be intrigued to see the HOP rubbers

Many players do not adjust HOP in game, but I guess it is more from experience that I use that technique. There is nothing wrong with leaving it all at a "standardised" setting. This just means when you realise your setup is not going to be able to lob shoot far enough; you have to get closer.

Hope the rifle performs well. Keep us posted. ;)

ew... more of these replies are just making me wanna have one myself, It has been more then a month after star announced that AW338 released. Anyone can tell when will the rifle avaialable on worldwide internet airsoft retailer?? like WGC, UN?

Has anyone noticed any mention of spare mags for the AW yet? Last time I looked the Star site doesn't mention any. It would be nice to have at least one spare for use in the field.

I was on to zero one about the spare mags told me to give them a ring in a couple of weeks !! its ###### running about with one mag

:Zzz:

Aye the warrior is good value, but not what everyone is looking for. I had a play with one at FS and it was fair, much like a VSR in an AI suit, but I like and am willing to pay for quality, oh and a fingertip cocking action. :rifle:

So how much for the fluted barrel upgrade on that Warrior anyways? :D

Enjoy

Martyn

ive one hate about the gun the mag release is really light and mag falls out real easy im writing this as im in pain at the moment cause the mag fell onto my big toe and uck its bad looking twice tonight this has happen but its caught my toe ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

think im toe is broke im off to a&e

ohhhhhhhhhhh

So how much for the fluted barrel upgrade on that Warrior anyways? :D

Enjoy

Martyn

Heh, you know, I genuinely can't remember. :blink:

Oops, there ya go. Just checked the Tokyo Model website and they say $149.

I see they're still listing them as in stock so I guess I didn't buy the last one in the world. :D

well chaps my toe is not broke it is completely black and blue but its sore to walk on and drive !!! right i dont think mags will be dear for the aww38 i hoping they sell the bb loader for the mag on its own

i wonder why star are selling a high flow valve and a steel hammer for the aw338 makes me think what type of flow valve ive in ,

well got me a propane adaptor and first impressions where great but i put silcone oil in the barrel and boy was it cr4p i soon got the cleaning rod out and gave it a good clean and wow its very good im hitting a tv ariel at about 200 feet straight as a dye but have to allow for a dip with the bb at that range and bang spot on !!! far better than the summer and winter gas i was tryin oh .3 bbs i was using might try .36 since the gun has improved with propane

Could you see what FPS you're getting with the propane and .20g? I'm guessing that its probably a very good cool weather gas, what with a gas/bolt rifle not needing the kind of continuous lubrication that a GBB need prefers.

BTW, which poor b&$tard's TV aerial are you taking potshots at any way, and how did they pi$$ you off in the firstplace? ;)

Fair enough, a 4 to 1 ratio sounds like a good safety plan to keep the seals supple.

I got my AW338 this afternoon and the FPS is a solid <large number allowable at Free Fire Zone> on winter gas. I'm hoping there's a bit less wind tomorrow to zero in the scope.

well m8 what you think of the gun ?? she a heavy one isnt she ?? just watch that mag doesnt fall out while not wearing any shoes

When you say a large number allowed at FFZ, was it a consistant 500fps ? or did it go over at all?

you can say what fps it shoots, just not how to achieve it, with a gas gun, its pretty hard not to say you dont put gas in it ;)

so anyhow some figures :P

did you do it over several shots ? if so what were the results :)

Sorry for being cryptic. I wasn't clear on the hot numbers rules. Anyway, over three shots through the shop Speeder we got 510, 510, 510. That's with a recent partial fill of CyberGun Winter, but at room temperature. Shots spaced at about 30 sec intervals, so I'm not too surprised the vapour pressure had recovered between shots. Ian reckoned John would allow that at FFZ and I suspect on site it would be slightly lower anyway.

The built quality is very good on the rifle itself and it's a real beast at 6.5kg fully loaded. The scope is optically good and very stable, with the windage/elevation knobs working perfectly. The range knob however has a large amount of backlash in it, so although it works in one sense, you can't use it for range finding, which is a shame. Other instances may be better or worse. Accuracy seems good, but I need it to stop raining to try out the full length of the garden (just over 20m).

Sorry for being cryptic. I wasn't clear on the hot numbers rules. Anyway, over three shots through the shop Speeder we got 510, 510, 510. That's with a recent partial fill of CyberGun Winter, but at room temperature. Shots spaced at about 30 sec intervals, so I'm not too surprised the vapour pressure had recovered between shots. Ian reckoned John would allow that at FFZ and I suspect on site it would be slightly lower anyway.

The built quality is very good on the rifle itself and it's a real beast at 6.5kg fully loaded. The scope is optically good and very stable, with the windage/elevation knobs working perfectly. The range knob however has a large amount of backlash in it, so although it works in one sense, you can't use it for range finding, which is a shame. Other instances may be better or worse. Accuracy seems good, but I need it to stop raining to try out the full length of the garden (just over 20m).

well you been shooting your new weapon yet?????

Archived