Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

UPDATE about the inner barrel:

Just took a precise measurement of the stock inner barrel and as I suspected it's a standard Star PSG-1 6.05mm precision barrel (it measured 6.06 actually, but I always get 0.01 more on every barrel measurement with this tool).

Also, here are some pictures of my AW-338 with it's camouflage applied:

aw-338_frente.jpg

aw-338_lateral.jpg

The tip of the flash hider is painted with fluorescent yellow Tamya paint due to portuguese law.

Also, here is my rifle with 2 other rifles of some team mates:

3snipers.jpg

Vassago

www.painkillersworld.com

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yet m8 like the camo i do the same with my sniper rifles but for some reason i cant do it to my aw338 as i like everyone realising look at that f4uker5 gun but i think i will camo it in the end . has any of you aw338 owners experinced the mag dropping out easily if the mag realease is touched ???????????

has any of you aw338 owners experinced the mag dropping out easily if the mag realease is touched  ???????????

Unfortunately yes. And I haven't even tried it on a full day skirmish yet...

The mag release seams to be to easy to hit by mistake, but at least the mag is very though! Mine felt on a concrete floor already from at least 1m height and not even a single mark on the mag. This rifle and mag are really built rock solid ;)

Unfortunately yes. And I haven't even tried it on a full day skirmish yet...

The mag release seams to be to easy to hit by mistake, but at least the mag is very though! Mine felt on a concrete floor already from at least 1m height and not even a single mark on the mag. This rifle and mag are really built rock solid ;)

well m8 my mag dropped on my toe wasnt wearing shoes the first time it hurt second time i thought toe was broke went purple and still today the purple mark is still there under my toe nail but moving outwards as nail grows !!!!!! i thought about using velcro strap to hold the mag in place

Come on Swaff, quit whining about yer toe and bend da spring! B)

Only kidding mate, I'm glad you didn't actually break it.

Right, I've attached the relevant bit of the explody diagram. It's probably easiest to get to from the top, with the barrel and receiver out. My magwell spring is nice and tight, easily enough to hold the mag in place with the catch disengaged. The spring should be slowly scuffing up the front of your mag. If it isn't then its not bent out enough.

On a different note, I checked out a Tanaka M700 AICS again the other night. I had a look at the PCS design and I'm having a think about how best to machine one into an AWSM bolt. The other thing that really struck me was how light it was. It felt like half the weight of the Star. :o

(removed my rant about people de-railing the thread)

Hows everyones M3 scope holding up?

As a recommendation for you guys, the Guarder illuminated x-hair scopes are gorgeous, im using one in place of the STAR M3 atm.

my scope is ok but ive put it on another gun and use a bushnell -6 24x40 scope with mil dots excellent scope !!!!

Hey Folks - I just got mine and it DOES look & feel awesome.

But I have some open issues:

Just after adjusting the Scope (max. 30 Shots at all!) there are some really disturbing scratches.

- The Receiver has sensible scratches from the Bolt

- The Bolt has sensible scratches from the Receiver

- The "Push-Up-Thingy" in the Mag has really lost some metal from operating the Bolt with no BB inserted.

- The entry of the barrel has white from the BBs on it, but only at the bottom of the tube. So I guess the BB should enter the barrel just a little higher.

Here's some pics to illustrate:

CIMG5995.JPG

This is the Pushup-Pin

CIMG6001.JPG

Scratched Bolt

CIMG6007.jpg

Scratched Receiver

CIMG6006.JPG

Scratched Bolt 2

When Loading the gun, the last 1 cm is really hard to push until it locks, viceversa it's quite hard to pull the bolt out the 1st cm.

So my question to aswaffield, Vassago and all other owners:

Does your Rifle show the same wear after so few shots or is it just mine?

Regards,

P77

Hi P77

Mine certainly has similar wear marks, but I've gone round and removed burrs that are doing most of the wear. On the mag ramp thing, that's just caused by you trying to whack the bolt home when there's no rounds left. This hammers the loading/gas nozzle into the ramp, making those dents. Word is, don't do that. You can always check for ammo via the ejoction port while the bolt is open. The ramp is softer than the nozzle luckily, and getting a spare mag strip is recommended. I picked up two last night, job done.

Apart from taking a fine file and/or superfine emery paper to the burrs, I've used a tiny amount of silicone grease in places in the action to reduce the metal on metal wear. Remember the action is an airsoft replica, not a bomb proof real steel.

One great bit of advice is to lap (smooth) the sides of the nozzle itself so that it doesn't grind any material off the BBs "waiting" to load. Mine was rough and was picking up white lines from the BBs in the mag and "drawing" black lines on the BBs. A bit of superfine emery and spit soon sorted that out.

BTW: We wouldn't use the word "sensible" in this context. Possibly "visible" or "noticeable". Sensible means something more like "vernünftige".

Well thanks a lot, I've already checked for burrs but cannot really find any. I'll just have to sand very little where the marks occur...

For the Marks in the Mag-Ramp: I know they're from pushing in the Bolt, but since there IS a ramp I hoped its inclination would be correct to push it down instead of eating it up :(

PS: Damn dictionary suggested "sensible" for spürbar, I already had a strange feeling that it was wrong!

I've used a tiny amount of silicone grease in places in the action to reduce the metal on metal wear. 

I would recommend some good metal on metal grease, such as molyslip, I have been using this on pistol slides (that are metal), and a tad on the inside of my vsr trigger mech. Only a small amount is needed but you must make sure none goes into the hop or barrel, which is obvious.

I say this because as far as I know, silicon oil is really only recommended for plastic on plastic or plastic on metal contact.

Very true, silicone grease is far from ideal and I use it only as a "better than nothing" lube. I was intending to get some CV joint grease for this purpose as that needs to be compatible with a wide range of CV joint gaiter materials.

Do you know if molyslip is rubber and polymer safe? Cheers.

For the Marks in the Mag-Ramp: I know they're from pushing in the Bolt, but since there IS a ramp I hoped its inclination would be correct to push it down instead of eating it up :(
I think the ramp shape is probably more to guide the BBs into the right stacking pattern than to allow the bolt nozzle to depress it. If that were the case, the ramp would stop shorter than it does and you'd never know you'd run out of ammo until after a dry shots. Knowing how observant some folks are, they could go a whole game on "blanks". :D

Really the best course of action is to be more sensitive with the bolt and get some good grease. Also as CMB recommends, clean the inner barrel and hop frequently, at least after/before each skirmish.

Hi P77

Mine certainly has similar wear marks, but I've gone round and removed burrs that are doing most of the wear. On the mag ramp thing, that's just caused by you trying to whack the bolt home when there's no rounds left. This hammers the loading/gas nozzle into the ramp, making those dents. Word is, don't do that. You can always check for ammo via the ejoction port while the bolt is open. The ramp is softer than the nozzle luckily, and getting a spare mag strip is recommended. I picked up two last night, job done.

where did you get your mags from matey?????

phoned fire support only 4 mag strips left i took 3 so left one for someone that wants one 15 quid each !!!! i dont think there is a pcs bolt out yet for this gun cause star would be the first to say theres one coming out and there web site has no mention of it ! but i could be wrong

Archived