Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look over on ASCUK, where there's another popular thread on this fine rifle...

http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/i...howtopic=110314

CMB has upgraded his barrel setup and reports some improvement in accuracy at long ranges. Of course it's not too flaky out of the box, being fitted as stock with one of Star's own PSG1+ 6.05mm barrels.

BTW, I took a tumble with mine yesterday, snapping off my front Butler Creek cap. No loss of zero, straight back in the fight! Any thoughts of the AWSM being a bench queen can be dispelled.

@Pollux77

Sorry for the slow reply...

Yes, my rifle also shows those same markings on those same places.

Denting the mag pin is almost unavoidable as I doubt anyone pays constant attention to it, so hitting the mag pin will occur sometimes. As far as I noticed, the damage is only to the mag pin and not the nozzle, so don't worry about it, it won't cause any feed problem because of it ;)

The bolt and receiver marks on mine are not as noticeable as yours, but I've always lubbed the bolt with silicon very fine grease or silicon oil.

About the dificulty in pulling the bolt back and fort, it's the same on mine ;) I actually never liked the loose feeling on Tanaka bolts, I like all pieces tight on my rifles, so that was a very pleasent surprise for me on the AW-338. Nothing to worry about there ;)

The BB "dust" problem on the barrel is something that worries me too as it certainly affects shooting consistency. Haven't figured any solution for that yet... I might try Riflerat's sugestion soon.

@48thRonin,

As i've written on my previous posts I've replaced the inner barrel.

The stock inner barrel is a standar Star 6.05 precision barrel with 650mm lenght. It's a common PSG-1 AEG barrel.

Atm i'm using a Madbull 650mm 6.03 inner barrel that I had lying on a parts box. The results should be better but so far are hardly noticeable on regular skirmishing. Target shooting testing is required to determine the improvement and at the moment I ain't got time to do it, sry.

My advice is to replace the barrel ofc, but if you are going to buy it, get a decent 6.01 barrel.

The hopup rubber is a regular AEG rubber too. 1st replaced it with a clear Guarder rubber and got a major problem with excess hopup effect even on minimum setting. The Guarder rubber has a much bigger hopup bump than the one on the standard AW-338 rubber. Since the stock AW-338 rubber really looked *suitcasey* I decided it really had to be replaced. Checked all the hopup rubbers I had on my parts box and the black G&P was the one with the slimest bump and is still a very soft rubber, so very good for single shot rifles. It's bump is still a bit bigger than the stock AW-338 hopup rubber, but I installed the G&P rubber nontheless.

With the G&P rubber I had to set the hopup almost to the minimum to avoid excessive effect with 0,28g BBs but it seams to be wroking very well now ;)

Atm I'm using Guarder 0.28g BBs and ICS Green Gas. Accurancy loss to heavier BBs is unnoticeable and range is better. On windy ocasions I use Straight non graphited 0,36g BBs too.

I want to try some 0,30g BBs too they are hard to get in Portugal.

I've also ordered a TOP gas bottle for the coming winter and will try it soon. I'm not going to install the high-flow valve on my rifle nor will I try Yellow nor Red gas on it.

Have a look over on ASCUK, where there's another popular thread on this fine rifle...

http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/i...howtopic=110314

CMB has upgraded his barrel setup and reports some improvement in accuracy at long ranges. Of course it's not too flaky out of the box, being fitted as stock with one of Star's own PSG1+ 6.05mm barrels.

BTW, I took a tumble with mine yesterday, snapping off my front Butler Creek cap. No loss of zero, straight back in the fight! Any thoughts of the AWSM being a bench queen can be dispelled.

i cant have been barred from there !!!

Thank you Vassago for your large reply to my questions...

It's true, once you're accustomed to the hard repeating of the bolt you start liking it. Last Weekend we've had a skirm where I was able to shoot a M40 rifle. Repeating that Bolt was very 'toy'-ish, there was no resistance at all <_<

After using my Dremel tool with very fine sandpaper on both Bolt and Receiver it seems to do less scratches.

I also used some left over Classic Army Gear Grease and it works quite well.

I do like this rifle. It has some metaphoric edges and dents, but that is part of its character. Rough toy :D

Pollux77

BTW: I was able to chron it last weekend.

Ammo: 0,38g Straight BB

Gas: Abbey Predator Ultra

V0: 376,24 fps / 114,71 m/s

E: 2,5 J

ASCUK wont let arnies hotlink to it, the 2 forums have a 'past' between them, not worth getting into, its probably not even that intresting.

just copy the link and paste it in the browser url section and go to it, dont click it or you will be directed to the barny and friends website. yey for maturity.

Ok now got into the said link and theres some very good posts ref the AW338. Worth a read if your planning to part 450 smackers for a toy.....

Though im like a fat kid in a cake shop waiting to be served at the minute!! Bloody Royal mail! :P

TDS, im not sure "arnie" will be too happy if we copy and paste from ASCUK mate, sorry

Regards

R

im not sure if it would be arnie that would be not happy or ASCUK, i dunno what the deal with their past is, but it always seems to be "shh dont talk bout it"

if some one wants to go through the other thread and quote the original poster i cant see a problem with it tbh.

The inner barrel is semi floating. It's neither a tight fit in the outer, nor does it use spacers. This does cause rattling if you knock the outer barrel as inner is almost a tight fit, but not quite. You could fit a couple of thicknesses of laserprint paper between the two.

I decided to lock the inner at the muzzle end by adding a rubber o-ring to the slot in the muzzle section. This is the section that the flash hider clamps onto and itself can be unscrewed from the main outer barrel.

The o-ring is the pair of red dots in this picture...

barreloringeb0.gif

The dark grey is the muzzle section and the light grey is the main outer barrel

It hasn't caused any drift in accuracy due to the outer barrel flopping about. the outer is seriously stiff, being a solid alu fluted replica and even taking a dirt dive with the AW on sunday didn't alter the zero. Yay!

lol, I'll tell Adobe that Photoshop is an adequate replacement for MS Paint B)

But cheers, I hope it makes sense. I actually used an o-ring that was the right thickness but the wrong diameter and cut a section out of it to make it fit. I also lubed it with a bit of silicone so that it won't stick to the barrel over time.

lol @ asuk i managed to get on and register with new email address and even got a post up on the star aw338 topic and happen to mention arnies and bang im barred again wont let me see site username is alanaw338 on there can anyone find out points to rifle rat to see if someones left a nasty comment after my post !!!

Archived