Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

no idea, i was not even curios how was it, but is not that important how was shooting out of the box, since i will make it a HPA powered and all internals will be changed as well, from barrel to hop-up.

this process will take some time though.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, semi proud owner of a STAR AW338 today but its in need of some attention :(

IVe had experience with other snipers, Tanaka m700/s Maruzen L96's and TM VSR G specs but wanted to try my hands a 338...

First problem... FPS = 360 average

Range = shocking :(

Its seccond hand though and is quite messy, in the mists of cleaning it out at the moment but need a few questions answered, i have skimmed through this thread though but there is alot to read.

First off... after cleaning if the fps is still low does this mean its time for new seals first?

What upgrades apart from a tightbore and new hop rubber would you reccomend for best accuracy and range from this gun?

How do i fully dissassemble the bolt to get to every spring and seal?

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade wise I think it is only the tb and hop really to improve the accuracy/range... People here also rigged up HPA's and Co2 setups to improve the FPS consistency.

I took my .338 out this weekend on a 12hr Milsim with the temperature just above freezing and it performed reasonably well considering I was only running green. Only problem I encountered was the first 3-5 shots produced very low FPS but there after I was hitting out to 75m... And accurate to 65m. Obviously the cold weather lowered the FPS a fair bit but overall happy with how she worked in the near freezing conditions, may have to try and find a CO2 mag somewhere.

Has anyone else experienced the first few shots to be low FPS then fine after in cold weather? I also noticed it only really did this when the mag was full to the brim with gas

New problem, my mag seals seems to have completely gone...

Ive stripped it completely, soacked in hotish water, dried, smeaered in a small ammount of lithium grease and re assembled, the mag used to leak but nwo since rebuilding if i try and put gas in it just all gets thrown back out of the inlet valve.....

Should i look at replacing all the deals?

Some appear quite worn / chewed slightly looking,

If i do have to buy new o-rings si there an alternative to buying Star ? Are ARES o-rings compatable with a STAR mag?

Can't i buy a variety pack of o-rings or can someone name the sizes i need to replace and entire mag?

thanks

The replacement o ring are the Shooter they can fit to Ares and Star. When I first tried the CheyTac the mag was leaking prety bad from all around! I disassemble it and found that the o ring was completely ripped! I went to the hardware store and found a replacement, went back to test it and it was very tight fit and I was afraid that I might rip it again. So I took the smaller part with the oring and I placed it in the refridgerator (!!) and the other at direct sunlight (40 degrees Celsius) and after about 40 min later I assemble the mag and it was so smooth, I didn't even force the parts. And since then it works superb!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine a few weeks ago, when I put my Leapers scope on I wasnt about to cut one of my allens to adjust the hop up so I ordered a thumb screw from McMastercarr.com

Part number 92552A429 Only thing im trying to find is a small spring to fit underneath it so it will be held in place.

KnurledLow.gif

I also just made an anti reflection/glare cover for $4 for my scope if anyones interested in that .

• 1 month later...

I picked one up, and it will feel a hell of a lot heavier than your VSR. However, as long as your field isn't in the mountains(Like mine) you should be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of walking with it, and shooting form a standing/crouched position, a 3 point sling is reccomended.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have found one of these beauty's for sale for $300 USD (AW338). I was wondering if it would really be worth it to get one of these. I already have a Maruzen APS2 that is shooting 550fps, and pretty dammed accurate out to 70m. however, it is indeed missing the "Cool" factor. The owner said his shoots very well, and would let me test fire it(it's local). I am aware of the weight, i'm not worried about it. I worried about the performance(I don't want to spend the gas if they aren't worth driving down there to check it out). Also, who here has used the CO2 mag? Is that power adjustable?

Spenser

• 3 weeks later...

finally got round to making a steel trigger sear and hammer spring tensioners :)

I after great successes in my VRS with Noobies hop unit i am try an experiment with a bumpless hop rubber and a solid nub fixed to the hop arm. will see how this perfoms.

Also have a cold shot to fit as well.

So today i decided to fire a couple of shots with the AW, just to ensure that the o-rings, hopup etc wouldn't dry up and took it to the chrony just to see how she was doing. Unfortunately it was shooting around 370fps with .25g BB's, not bad per se but quite a bit lower than what it used to be shooting. So i take out the bolt and see that it's missing the o-ring that seals the bolt<->magazine :o

Does anyone know its dimensions and, if possible, somewhere to buy it that ships internationally ?

When I modded my DSR I looked into this (I modded the seal to stick out of the bolt a fraction to create a better seal) & couldn't find replacements. However, it occured to me that some 6mm silicone tube (we use it at work) could easily be cut to fit, aided by a smear of silicone sealant to hold it in place.

You can get this tube at aquarist outlets or even at Halfords. (washer bottle tube).

Yeah but i really didn't want to do that, quite an expensive way to get just one o-ring :D

When I modded my DSR I looked into this (I modded the seal to stick out of the bolt a fraction to create a better seal) & couldn't find replacements. However, it occured to me that some 6mm silicone tube (we use it at work) could easily be cut to fit, aided by a smear of silicone sealant to hold it in place.

You can get this tube at aquarist outlets or even at Halfords. (washer bottle tube).

That's actually pretty clever ! I can get various sizes of silicone tubes at work, gonna get myself a few a see which works better ! Thanks :D

If you look further back in this thread i think it was Climber replaced the brass outlet on the magazine with some 10mm rubber fuel pipe which seemed to serve him quite well.

I have found that hop rubbers need to be well sealed on this rifle as the air nozzle is skinny as heck and doesn't mate well with the hop rubber.

Archived