Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

If you look further back in this thread i think it was Climber replaced the brass outlet on the magazine with some 10mm rubber fuel pipe which seemed to serve him quite well.

I have found that hop rubbers need to be well sealed on this rifle as the air nozzle is skinny as heck and doesn't mate well with the hop rubber.

I might try that somehow but with different materials that i can source at work. I'm actually in the middle of measuring the air nozzle "assembly" and doing some rough prototypes for a modified air nozzle made out of POM.

I'm making it with a slight bigger inner and outer diameter and i chose to do it out of POM because the original metal nozzle keeps marking the BB's no matter how polished it is.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice and simple solution there. I think i'd have built up a bit higher around the outside of the band with silicon sealant as well. It should last a bit longer rubbing against the brass lip on the mag.

Now do i put the cold shot on it or do i not hhhm.

This sealant is quite strong and should hold up for quite sometime, if the rubber band comes off later on i'll just do it over again and put more sealant as you suggested, it took 5mins to do it anyway. Funny thing is, this getto fix actually gives me more 10fps than with the original o-ring.

I'm still gonna make a new air nozzle made out of POM or Delrin with slightly adjusted dimensions so that it seals better on the hop-up chamber and doesn't mark the BB's.

BTW does anyone know what type of gas inlet it uses on the mags ?

• 1 month later...

can anyone help me with the aw338 magazine. I need to remove all the valves and relube the seals or replace however I can only remove the small filler valve.. is there a specific way to remove the other two?! I dont have a screwdriver big enought :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just bought a second hand DSR1 ver2 I noticed that even though it has the same gas system it's different to the fact that the whole bolt rotates when you move it unlike the Intervention or Tanaka's that you move up and down the handle.

My problem is that it leaks from the outlet valve each time I'm firing, if I press the mag against the bolt then the leak stops. Has anyone else the same problem? I'm thinking to make some shims and put them between the side of the mag and the magwell.

Tell me what you think.

George

It is a comoon problem, that is why our friend posted his solution some posts ago.

My solution was a bit different:

1. take down the rubber seal on the bolt, will go out easily if you are gentile enough.

2. put there a "shimm" , meaning any kind of spacer that is no more than 0.5mm in thickness

3. put back the rubber seal and you will see it will stay raised ~0.5mm

4. seal that rubber with a rubber glue so you will not have leaks between it and the bolt socket where it sits.

Just realised i have not posted my gun as promissed and since it is done for quite some time, here it is (also had it on Berget 9). The whole rig is a compact block under the scope.

xmugur.jpg

a.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

The bottom result:

The rifle is very stable and incredible accurate (after the stabiliser had break in)

I am done with the modiffs, and this is how it will remain. Since this photos were taken the gun has changed the colors to a camo, dual-tone paint.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have needed replacement parts for your Ares AW-338's, were they pretty easy to obtain from Ares direct?

I'm looking at picking up an Ares 338 but it seems there aren't any aftermarket brands available. I looked through the thread and I

saw that a few guys had to end up making their own replacements which I'm kinda iffy about.

One other question about the top rail. Do you think there would be any unforseen issues with mounting a MARS rail to the rail portion of the AW-338? The

fact that it's more of a proprietary rail built for their factory made scope rings seems like putting anything else on there will be a bit difficult.

So I just got my STAR CheyTac Friday and have been examining it and testing it out. From everything I gathered of it (I took it apart and reassembled it) the gun has much potential to be a real performer. Wasn't happy about the FPS readings from the gas bolt out of the box and I heavily suspect this is due to a weak hammer spring. The scope provided sits too low and to be honest is a bit small for the gun.

Going to be ordering a few things and having custom parts made to upgrade the thing, outside of that, I'm incredibly pleased with the gun. Will post progress with mine as I go.

I know nothing about the CheyTac, but think I saw a video where you have an aftermarket bolt that fits co2 12g bottles. Over the chronograph, it was giving readings more appropriate for a gun of that size (over 500fps with heavyweights).

Perhaps you should look for it? Maybe you already know about it or if it's flawed?

It would be nice to see you get the rifle performing to a level it deserves.

Good Hunting ;)

It'll use the same gas bolt, just a different mag made to fit the CeyTac. They also provide stronger springs. I intend to get them when money permits it. Besides as nice as gas is, I'm going to focus on the spring part of it more.

Anyone think I should put out a review?

Not at all, that's for the Socom Gear. That's a completely different system as the gas is contained in the bolt and it utilizes shells along with 8mm BB's. The STAR/ARES are GIM type guns using 6mm BB's behaving very much like a typical bolt springer.

Mine was shooting ~570fps out of the box but the fluctuations between the shots ruined the accuracy, I have the same problem with the DSR-1.

I did the mod stated above and I gained over 70fps!! But it's still pretty inconsistent system.

I can't see anything to do to improve them.

Here they are...

DSCN1224.jpg

P8101002.jpg

Wolf

Ya I'm sure mine is suffering from a weak striker spring. The valve is so stiff from the pressure. I hope buying the CO2 mag will give me the spring I need to operate the higher pressures. Other than that, I'm going to order a new spring for the spring bolt this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Final pics:

dsr1.jpg

dsr3.jpg

dsr5.jpg

dsr6.jpg

With the current setup, the pressure was set home with my chrono for 165m/s (170m/s field limit here) and the result at the chrono (last national event) was: 166, 166, 166.2, 166, 166, 166. At this moment i can say i do not want to do anything else to the rifle, just to take "her" out on the field.

@Drake, i am curios: where do you order that spring?

Archived