Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

Unfortunately only the 16m from our front door to the back fence, but I'm lovin' it so far. I never really enjoyed shooting my girlfriend's upgraded G-spec, due to the cocking weight pulling my stance about, but this is a joy. Butter smooth action with only the short, light hammer cock weight at the end.

Another nice thing is you can pop out the BB strip and dry fire the gun without worrying about the hammer mech firing without load, because the gas system is fully online, just no ammo is loaded. Great for practising trigger control and breathing.

Weather's looking good for the weekend, so hopefully some better shooting's to be had.

Do you get backlash in the range knob on the Star scope?

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, looking at the AW338 accessories on Star's site and the parts on the gun itself, I think they're just spares. I'd be surprised if the hammer isn't steel and the valve is probably labelled as "hi flow" because its a high flow valve compared to most pistols etc.

I've just mailed services@starairsoft.com, complimenting them on the rifle and making it clear that I'd like to see full mags brought to market. I suggest anyone else who'd like to see the same does this and also mentions it to whoever they got the rifle from. If the demand is registered I imagine we'll see them sooner.

Do you get backlash in the range knob on the Star scope?

my scope is ok have tried it against my air rifle scope which has the range finder and both are spot on with a tv ariel 50 yards away but the only thing i dont like is the crosshairs in the scope i like the ones which have markers (mil-dots) on the crosshairs

Crimson... Correct me if I am wrong (being a mod I get to edit posts all the time), but as a normal poster, I am sure you can only edit within a certain time period of your initial posting, after that, the edit function disappears.

So looking at the time frame of asswaffields posts, you'll see why he didnt edit them.

So less of the snide comments, unless you are in possession of the full facts please.

Took the AWSM over to FFZ on sunday for its first skirmish. Confirmed without a doubt in my mind that this is a very competent tool for reaching out and touching people. It's a workout to carry around, but the accuracy and slickness of operation more than make up for it.

I got a couple of kills at about 40m, off hand! - including one through a thicket at the far end, prompting the response "Ow, Hit! Damn good shot!" which brought a grin to my face. The oppo in question slotted me ten minutes later, but that's what you get for trying to defend a bunker in eyeshot of the dead zone.

I'm now adamant in my conviction that I need a spare mag or two. refill was a pfaff and gusts of wind can waste ammo like crazy over these distances.

The hop takes a some dialling in and is a bit sensitive, but my worries about it drifting seem largely unfounded. I still intend to get a bit of 222 on the grub though.

The problem I had with the scope was fixed (embarassingly) by John at FS removing it from the tight mounts which I had screwed down too hard. The rings are still tight, but I have screwed it down just enough to cinch with out compressing the body tube now. The parallax/range knob is now buttery smooth and functional.

So yeah, one very happy camper here.

Martyn

Sorry, that's a bit of a "piece of string" question. Do you mean the max distance at which you could reasonably expect to hit a man size target 50% of the time, from a supported position? Or maybe just the longest distance you could lob a heavyweight BB with no real pretense at accuracy?

The practical response is that the gun shoots hard and accurate, with good shooters getting hits on a man size target at over 70m. Bear in mind that over 50m you are somewhat at the mercy of the wind and other variables. It'll lob well over 100m.

Sorry to be a bit vague.

well i took mine completely apart today to look at the hopup rubber , well i recommend if you buy this gun ghange the hop rubber its ###### the hop unit reminds me of the pdi one but you have only one adjuster as to 2 on the pdi one after cleaning all the seals and putting back together and correcting the scope i fired 10 shots at 90 feet and all of them where within 2 inchs of each other in the center of the target a big difference and all i did was change the rubber was going to take pic while gun was apart but myu other half had taken it with her today !!!

oh im using .36`s

Let me reiterate RSM's question. What rubber did you end up using.

Looking at the stock hop from the breech end, it would appear to be slightly serrated. Did you notice this?

Also, any hints on the best sequence for stripping down to hop?

Cheers,

Martyn

the rubber i got was from wolf arm all it said was new improved hop rubber at 6.99 as for the barrel havent seen one from an aeg but do know its the same as my marzeun l96 and lenght is around 630mm as for taking it apart 2 allen key bolts under neath releases the barrel from the stock then remove screw of the outter barrel 2 screws hold the hop up unit inside the recevier so once there out you will have in your hand the hop unit along with the innner barrel ,if you look at the end of the hop unit theres 2 more screws remove them to show rubber o ring which seals the chamber when gun is cocked next loosen 2 allen screw on the side of hop unit to release inner barrel from hop and hopefully rubber should come out to but my guess is prob not as mine hop rubber was two big my new one fitted inside my orignal one and then assemble is all of the reverse above !!!

It's certainly very accurate for a stock gas rifle, comparing well with the stock VSR-10, albeit at a higher muzzle velocity. I haven't shot a tanaka, but have handled one. The AW-338 is great replica of the L115A1, both in detailing and shear weight (real steel is only slightly heavier). The Tanaka didn't quite have the same kind of pukka feel, being based on a Remy 700 action in an AICS upgrade stock.

And you know there's one out there with your name on it. Gwaan, gwaan.

Might be an echo now, but the AW-338 has a 650 mm inner barrel and it takes standard AEG inner barrels and hop-up rubbers.

Plus, Redwolf are offering some kind of an energy adjustment for it. Most likely like a PCS or similar.

-Sale

Well spotted Sale. To quote RedWolf's text:

Also you can opt to add our RWC (RedWolf Custom) energy adjustment upgrade, which is essentially the same as Tanaka's Power Control System (PCS). This upgrade service adds an adjustment mechanism that let's you adjust the power to 250fps, or max it up to the full power level. Adjustment is easy and only requires you to remove the bolt and adjust one screw, and takes 2 minutes to do. Perfect if you want to adjust the power of this rfile for various gaming environments. Some skirmish fields have power limits and this power control system allows you to stay within those limits.

I'm guessing they drill and tap a hole into the bolt between the inlet orifice and the outlet nozzle, into which they add a grub screw. That seems to be how the PCS works, as far as the pictures I've seen go. PCS owners, am I right?

If I can source a spare bolt I'll be trying this myself, but don't expect anything soon, I think I'll be waiting for big spares for quite a while.

N.B. while orifice is a satisfying word, it pales in comparison to flange.

To make it clear, the PCS is only for turning the power down, not up. Green gas may be a touch too hot on a hot day - certainly would be for Urban Assault. The choke adjustment would help keep it legal and safe.

If I remember I'll run a pair of calibers into th ened of the barrel. It's not a very accurate way of measuring the inner diameter, but it'll give us a "finger in the air".

Hasn't STAR produced 6.05 mm barrels before? I'd put my money on that nominal bore.

This rifle shoots around 510-550 on green. Of course if your site limit is 3J for sniper weapons, then it's cool without the Energy Adjustment. I would probably adjust it down a bit, and fine-tune it depending on the temperature of the day, to keep the trajectory as similar as possible. That way the behaviour of the rifle would be consistent, from day to day; consistency is more important to me than sheer power.

-Sale

Archived