ICS L85 to be released this fall (Exclusive Images

FarEast

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that really is disappointing, i think they've missed the niche as far as L85 buyers are concerned, as this is very much a gun for hardcore squaddie impersonators on the whole, and such people are more interested in realism than an extra 500mah of battery. no one seems to be getting this right, they either look absolutely awesome (STAR) and don't work and cost the earth, or it looks poo but will more than likely work perfectly, it still looks like the ARMY one is the best option. i was looking forward to this so much, now i want to cry. :headbutt:

SS

Why look forward to ANYTHING ICS makes, the are novelty. Ohh a nice cheap metal bodied armalite WITH a hicap and trades. Oh wait its ICS ill probably spend the cost of anothe gun replacing parts that fall to pieces. a friend of mine has had nothing but trouble with his M16.

Anyway, i was'nt surprised that this installement to ICS's range of weapons was absoloute poop.

Why look forward to ANYTHING ICS makes, the are novelty. Ohh a nice cheap metal bodied armalite WITH a hicap and trades. Oh wait its ICS ill probably spend the cost of anothe gun replacing parts that fall to pieces. a friend of mine has had nothing but trouble with his M16.

Anyway, i was'nt surprised that this installement to ICS's range of weapons was absoloute poop.

Funny. My SD6 has only ever had one malfunction, a motor that went after many thousands of rounds and to be honest, less than dilligent care. Still, once in a while a golden apple is picked from the pile, whilst the next man grabs a lemon.

I personally don't mind. It's a probably affordable non-clone L85, that is an A2 model that can bolt most standard accessories onto the rail. It might annoy the geardos, but I like a gun for looks. It merely needs to resemble, not be right on the button, and I trust ICS. Though I must be honest that in this case all they have to really offer is that I have personal experience with their products and a rail that will accept most airsoft accessories.

No-ones noticed the huge lack of flash hider yet then :P

I really really like ICS gear, but even have to admit they have gone wrong here. not bothered about the slightly greener plastics, or the 20mm rail, or the QD sight... its that ###### handguard! Its HUGE and angular.. Just to got to hope the STAR a2 one fits on ok!

I'll still be getting this, as I trust ICS internally with my life!

Dunno why people are getting annoyed at the foresight being 'QR' I think its ICS using the wrong terminology, on the real steel you have to use the issued multitool to undo a screw on the foresight post and it looks like you do the same here...I suppose its quicker than having to punch out two pins like the M16 foresight but not truly quick release.

The furniture colours look fine to me and in my opinion as long as it isn't neon green I don't see the problem as the majority of real L85s/L98s seem to vary quite a bit in the colour of the plastic depending on the age of the thing

I would think the lack of a flashider is to show that should you want it there is a thread available for silencers, which isn't wholly unrealistic as there is a company in the states or canada that does silencers for pretty much anything, including M249s.

My 3 major gripes are the foregrip, which hopefully can take the Star one (and its battery) fine, the lack of a gas tube, although a small cosmetic feature I would rather have it and I would hope that its removeable and has simply been removed for the pictures and that hold open catch, its at completely the wrong angle. I can understand if you have to pull the bolt back and turn it to that angle to lock it back and simply rotate to where it should be to release it and some clever system keeps it in the right position but until I have more information and read a few reviews I might just hold off until Army bring out an A2 clone.

Well having been in an RAF armoury two hours ago I can say catagorically that all the L85A2s there were still fitted with A1 forward furniture. It's obvious that it really isn't that important to the powers that be, as long as all the important A2 bits are fitted, breech block & carrier, main springs, gas piston etc it seems that the foregrip has fallen off the list.

Well having been in an RAF armoury two hours ago I can say catagorically that all the L85A2s there were still fitted with A1 forward furniture. It's obvious that it really isn't that important to the powers that be, as long as all the important A2 bits are fitted, breech block & carrier, main springs, gas piston etc it seems that the foregrip has fallen off the list.

I've seen maybe 5 or so rifles that have the new handguard. I'm still not entirely sure of its purpose, the only thing I can guess at is better ventilation so it cools quicker when in theatre. They are probably only fitted to rifles that have had that part replaced for one reason or another.

It seems most people who are unhappy with these pictures are unhappy because of the handguard appearance. Well, as has been said, THERE ARE REAL L85A2s WITH THESE (or at least similar, thanks to the slightly larger battery compartment) HANDGUARDS FITTED. There are other appearance discrepancies: lack of flash eliminator, change lever, dust cover, and pins. Remember, this is a prototype, so there will be a flash eliminator, the pins will probably be black, and the dust cover and change lever may change yet.

ICS is trying to make a mid-priced and more skirmishable L85A2, go them.

I agree with morpcat. STARs L85s are way too much for realism, G&G have internal problems, some which have been fixed, but they still cost alot.I personnaly dont like L85s that much, but since ICS is making them, I'll consider buying one. Its gonna be within the 250-350 USD range, which makes it a better buy. As an airsofter, i dont care much for realism, as long as it looks like it, and it works, im fine. Im pretty sure ICS has all these different fetures( Larger Handgaurd, 20mm rail, etc.) are all for the benefit of the players. Also, since when are airsoft guns exact replicas. Ill take a larger handgaurd to be able to play longer if thats what it takes.

It may not be perfectly realistic but it's "close enough for rock'n'roll" as they say :) Besides, the only person who is going to appreciate an ultra-realistic model is the person using it... nobody else is really going to be the least bit impressed. For skirmishing rather than collection/showing off purposes, I'll bet it does the job rather nice. I'd be willing to give it a go. I rather like the QR front sight and the 20mm compatible carry handle features... and I don't care how big the handguard has to be as long as it can hold a decent battery :D but that's just me... I'm not fussy!

ew, qd front sight? the foregrip? m16 carry handle? Ew

no flashider?

uber long ics m16 hicap >< wrong, the whole thing doesnt say l85 to me, at all. its a toy...

Don't worry about the lack of flash hider, it will come. Though it is a little weird to have a threaded end, it's meant to be a one-piece barrel. Also don't worry about the M16 carry handle, that's just and example of what you could put on the rail, if you were completely perverted. And the foregrip, well that's already been discussed.

Besides, the only person who is going to appreciate an ultra-realistic model is the person using it... nobody else is really going to be the least bit impressed.

Surely that's the most important person?

I've seen maybe 5 or so rifles that have the new handguard. I'm still not entirely sure of its purpose, the only thing I can guess at is better ventilation so it cools quicker when in theatre. They are probably only fitted to rifles that have had that part replaced for one reason or another.

It seems most people who are unhappy with these pictures are unhappy because of the handguard appearance. Well, as has been said, THERE ARE REAL L85A2s WITH THESE (or at least similar, thanks to the slightly larger battery compartment) HANDGUARDS FITTED. There are other appearance discrepancies: lack of flash eliminator, change lever, dust cover, and pins. Remember, this is a prototype, so there will be a flash eliminator, the pins will probably be black, and the dust cover and change lever may change yet.

ICS is trying to make a mid-priced and more skirmishable L85A2, go them.

The big handguards are put on new A2 rifles, and I mean fresh from the factory new. They are are that big, that green and angular. A2 rifles with the old style hanguard are reconditioned A1 rifles. There is something wrong looking about brand new A2 rifles when put beside the older rifles, A2 or not.

I like the idea of a standard 20mm rail, it gives users a much wider range of sights to put on it. ICS could mollify the haters by making a SUSAT for it though. The lack of a flash eliminator doesn't concern me at this point. The photos have the look of a prototype about therm and we should just wait for the finished article. I'll be keeping an open mind 'cos my ICS MP5 is just brilliant.

ew, qd front sight? the foregrip? m16 carry handle? Ew

no flashider?

uber long ics m16 hicap >< wrong, the whole thing doesnt say l85 to me, at all. its a toy...

you realise NOTHING you say heer is vaild ?

the front sight, somebody explained, is quite close to the function of a real one apparently. i dont know, ive never seen one.

the foregrip - deal with it, its whats going on the new real guns.

m16 carry handle ? you really think they did that with serious intent ? wake up.

flashider - yes, because im sure they will sell a gun without a flashider :rolleyes:

and yes ics hicaps are long, but its ok, you knwo you can use any armalite mag you want. or in the blinkered view of people with your opinion, does the magazine make the whole gun totally ###### ?

you're looking for stuff to complain about, it seems to be a 'cool thing' to moan about this gun. yet you found nothing of substance to moan about. i for one wholeheartedly trust ICS, of all the guns ive used and owned, ive never see one bust unexpectedly.

...the front sight, somebody explained, is quite close to the function of a real one apparently. i dont know, ive never seen one...

Except, it isn't really; it has a pin sticking out the side of it, and the blades on the top of the foresight are too thin and long. As you say, you don't know, you've never seen one.

...the foregrip - deal with it, its whats going on the new real guns...

Doesn't mean it doesn't look ######, but then it's all down to personal preference really.

...or in the blinkered view of people with your opinion, does the magazine make the whole gun totally ###### ?...

Yes it does actually, makes it look totally unbalanced. Although the crappy foregrip almost evens it out...

you're looking for stuff to complain about, it seems to be a 'cool thing' to moan about this gun. yet you found nothing of substance to moan about. i for one wholeheartedly trust ICS, of all the guns ive used and owned, ive never see one bust unexpectedly.

I'm also a bit fan of ICS guns, having owned several over the years and had no problems with them. That doesn't excuse the fact that this particular rifle is a shoddy copy of the real thing at best.

I've gone back and had another look at the photos, and the only things that are really wrong as far as I can see are: The change lever isn't long enough, the bolt holding-open device is hanging at the wrong angle, and a couple of holes have been filled in on the hand guard. That's it.

As for the foresight, the blades look OK to me (and I shoot my RS SA80 with iron sights), the pin is there on the RS, I just think it's poking out for the photo, and the screw head is just the wrong shape.

Everything everyone seems to hate is easily changeable. If you hate the front sight so much - take it off, it's QD ffs. Whining about the mag length?.... please.

You so called weapon experts need to get over yourselves and wait for the finished article to be released and reviewed.

I've never understood why people ###### and moan about the length of the magazines. ICS mags just happen to replicate the real steel mag dimensions but due to the internal workings of an AEG as opposed to the firearm that model is replicating the mag sticks out a bit more, but TM, MAG CA and STAR mags are shorter than real steel to give the loaded AEG the correct 'silhouette'. Unless you are wall hanging the thing I see no reason to really care over the length of the magazine other than how much ammo can you put in it, no one else but the anal types will care. And if the magazine is such an issue I would find it actually surprising that an airsofter who finds the mag length an issue not to have some 'airsoft spec' magazines in their own inventory already.

As long as ICS fix the small REAL issues, put in the gas parts and the foregrip is interchangeable with a STAR A1 version then I'll probably end up buying one

The only 2 things that are REALLY wrong with this are -

-The rail

Ideally needs to be a 19mm dovetail so that a SUSAT (real or replica) can be mounted. Not much of an issue though since, as I've said before, an aftermarket one exists, made by Army Code.

-The handguard

I don't mind the fact that ICS have decided to go with the A2 style handguard. What I do mind is the fact that they've made it WIDER for no good reason whatsoever.

let me explain this

The real steel L85 handguard is wide already. So wide infact, that it can accomodate a custom (by custom I am refering to the layout of the cells) 9.6 volt battery made using Sub C (large type) cells. I know this because this is the setup I have on my custom Academy L85.

The STAR handguard is the same dimensions as per the real steel, and people have been complaining that battery changes are awkward and very fiddly. Yes, they are because the two halves of the handuard are glued together as per the real one.

On mine what I've done is prize it open, so it is glued at the front still, and not at the back. This makes it FAR easier to change/remove/insert the battery, and really boggles me why ICS havn't done this instead, or adopted the 'two halves' handguard as per the G&G version.

Anyway, at the end of the day these are only very minor problems that can be changed easily. The handguard is more than likely able to be changed so the option will be there for those who desire it, likewise with the rail. I think that this may turn out to be a very good skirmishable replica, we'll just have to watch this space.

EDIT - as for the bolt catch being at the incorrect angle, it may be that it is loose on that prototype or its been moved by mistake. I highly doubt its been left at that angle on purpose

The big handguards are put on new A2 rifles, and I mean fresh from the factory new.  They are are that big, that green and angular.  A2 rifles with the old style hanguard are reconditioned A1 rifles. 

Ah OK, that explains where they come from. I'd seen them around as I said, and figured it was the new design, but didn't know exactly the circumstances for having one.

I've gone back and had another look at the photos, and the only things that are really wrong as far as I can see are:  The change lever isn't long enough, the bolt holding-open device is hanging at the wrong angle, and a couple of holes have been filled in on the hand guard.  That's it.

As for the foresight, the blades look OK to me (and I shoot my RS SA80 with iron sights), the pin is there on the RS, I just think it's poking out for the photo, and the screw head is just the wrong shape.

Agree with you on the change lever, I also think the mag release doesn't quite look right, I think the release button is meant to fill the shroud slightly more. Regarding the front sight, the outer blades seem too tall and in too close to the main blade, and the head of the screw is different. However, these points are really really minor.

I wonder how many of the people here complaining about it not being realistic enough have actually spent hours cleaning the damn things...

Archived