Hot Weather Clothing

M14

Hydrating can do more harm than good. Once you get heat exaustion, which is easy in fighting where you might not have a chance or forget to, your not supposed to drink a lot of water. Just a little. If you drink a lot it will just make it worse.

Even if you drink 100 quarts, you will still be slower and bulkier than normal. The vest is probably to be more polliticly correst than anything else. The govrnment doesnt want to see soldiers come back to the states in coffins so it makes sence in a fancy government building that putting more armor on a soldier will save them but in accual combat is could do more harm than good.

generally speaking, you use the "thirst plus one" rule for exercise. drink till you're not thirsty anymore, then drink one more cup of water. this is generally sufficient for about an hour of heavy exercise. gatorade does not work effectively unless you exercise for over an hour. for 30-60 mins., about 1 cup of water will suffice. as was stated above, drinking too much water will inhibit your performance instead of boosting it.

i don't know where you guys are getting your information from but you are both way off of the mark. if you are thirsty then you have already lost the battle, your bodies thirst indicator is rubbish. in hot weather you need to be drinking lots. you hear stories of "drinking your self to death" but its difficult ney almost impossible to do that. infact its better to drink too much and be a bit bloated than to fall unconcious through dehydration, trust me spending 24 hours in hospital linked to an IV is'nt going to make anyone's day. with your water try taking on a little salt, some electrolytes and some sugar. eat an orange in the safe zone, with either some peanuts or salted crisps (chips to you Americans).

And very sorry mate, but M14, telling people that when "under fire" its better to be a bit dehydrated than taking on too much water because it will "slow you down" what will slow your whole team down is dragging your unconcious body away from the point of engagment because you've not taken in enough fluids.

Girl who died as a result of drinking seven litres of water in 90 minutes.

:zorro:

If you read my reply you will see i mention to take in salt, sugar and electrolytes. i have a quote for the reason she died

yet consumed about 7 litres in less than 90 minutes, resulting in water intoxication and hyponatremia (a dilution of the blood, disrupting sodium levels), which in turn led to serious swelling of the brain (cerebral edema), irreparably damaging it.

trust me, its better to drink "a little too much" and be bloated, than to have dehydration.

i don't know where you guys are getting your information from but you are both way off of the mark. if you are thirsty then you have already lost the battle, your bodies thirst indicator is rubbish. in hot weather you need to be drinking lots. you hear stories of "drinking your self to death" but its difficult ney almost impossible to do that. infact its better to drink too much and be a bit bloated than to fall unconcious through dehydration, trust me spending 24 hours in hospital linked to an IV is'nt going to make anyone's day. with your water try taking on a little salt, some electrolytes and some sugar. eat an orange in the safe zone, with either some peanuts or salted crisps (chips to you Americans).

And very sorry mate, but M14, telling people that when "under fire" its better to be a bit dehydrated than taking on too much water because it will "slow you down" what will slow your whole team down is dragging your unconcious body away from the point of engagment because you've not taken in enough fluids.

I didnt mean dont drink any water. I meant that once you get heat exaustion its not good to drink a lot. That will make it worse.

I didnt mean dont drink any water. I meant that once you get heat exaustion its not good to drink a lot. That will make it worse.

no i'm sorry mate that just is'nt true, once someone has heat exaustion they should be taken to somewhere sheltered, given plenty of fluids and be cooled very gently. mind you if you fancy arguing with an EMT..... be my guest :P

And on the subject of that manual's instructions, isn't baggy stuff supposed to be more insulating (thus warmer) because of the layer of air which is kept warm by your body?

Yes. But if it's over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, out, you're best off wearing a heavy winter parka: Your body will keep the inside of the parka around your body temperature, while outside of the parka, it will be much, much hotter. In fact, local garb in the Middle-East makes heavy usage of multiple layers of baggy clothing: It keeps you warm at night and cool during the day. And because your body is less dependent on sweat to keep cool, you don't need to ingest as much water (because you're not losing as much).

As your the ones playing in that temperature you probably know better from experience, but in theory iced water when your hot is a bad thing. Confuses the thermoregulatory centre leading to your bodys methods of cooling, i.e. sweating, vascodilation etc. to halt, or reduce in effectiveness. 

As i said before though, if it works in practice, screw the theory.

Cheers, razor

Ice cold water is fine. I know. I did a Summer of construction work with my father. We'd bring juice, soda, sandwiches, bags of chips (potato chips), and half-frozen two gallon jugs of water. Worked wonders, especially when coming down off of a 100+ degree roof for a fifteen minute break.

No, I am not way off the mark. Since you asked me where I am getting my information, I have taken multiple exercise biology classes here at UCD, and the information came from not only professors who also happen to be the UC Davis football athletic trainers and advisors, but from scientific journals as well. As far as arguing with an EMT goes, I am also EMT certified. As with all information should be taken with a grain of salt, your experiences may be different, but it's certainly not rubbish either.

The reason why there is a "thirst plus one rule" is that, as you pointed out, thirst is a very slow indicator for our bodies that we are not adequately hydrated; hence, by the time you are thirsty, you are in trouble. This is where the "plus one" comes in, and you drink some extra water on top of however much it takes to get you not thirsty. If you think about it, "infact its better to drink too much and be a bit bloated" is pretty much what I had said earlier. For exercise under an hour, there is no need to hydrate during the exercise, just after. Over an hour, then rehydration during exercise is necessary. You drink about 1-2 cups of water before you exercise, use the "thirst plus one" rule, and you're set.

i don't know where you guys are getting your information from but you are both way off of the mark. if you are thirsty then you have already lost the battle, your bodies thirst indicator is rubbish. in hot weather you need to be drinking lots. you hear stories of "drinking your self to death" but its difficult ney almost impossible to do that. infact its better to drink too much and be a bit bloated than to fall unconcious through dehydration..

I think people wear their vests tight just because of the (geardo/cool/hard/1337) look, since when was airsoft a practical sport anyway.

If it was everyone would just have a M249 with a huge box mag and nothing else. I don't see many AK or other weapon players taping their magazines together either, would save a lot of money on those pouches.

I think people wear their vests tight just because of the (geardo/cool/hard/1337) look, since when was airsoft a practical sport anyway.

If it was everyone would just have a M249 with a huge box mag and nothing else. I don't see many AK or other weapon players taping their magazines together either, would save a lot of money on those pouches.

Exactly, otherwise we could all play Paintball.

Sportive, practical, no cheating.

Exactly, otherwise we could all play Paintball.

Sportive, practical, no cheating.

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

M14, if people listen to you they will get themselfs killed.

Soldiers wear armor because if you get shot in the torso by a 7.62 you die. I would rather have to drink more water than die. This is why they all have canteens and hydration packs. I don't give a damn if I'm in a street, a desert, a mountain or jungle, I'd want body armor if there was a chance of somone shooting me.

As for people wearing gear in hot weather, it happens, and you need to be sure to drink water every time to stop moving, and every time to try to talk, every time to change mags, just all the time. I wear a lot of gear and I have a 2L hydration pack, it lasts me about 2 hours in the summer. I have that, a couple granola bars and a bag of jerky to keep hydrated. That is JUST to keep hydrated, actual food is something different. Just water alone won't help, you need salt and small amounts of sugar and protien just to absorb the water.

Oh, and to whoever said to drink room temp water, BS!

A month ago I went out and forgot to ice down my hydration pack. I played for 2 hours and ended up sucking down about a liter and a half of warm water. I was amazingly sick. It was 98F and 100% humidity, I was sweating buckets, urin was clear, but I was still sick. It was Heat Exaustion. Nothing to do with dehydration realy, I was perfectly hydrated, but I was burning up. My girl tied to put her hand on my sholder and it felt like I was on fire. I had to drink cold water, ice down my hat, soak my dead rag in ice water and pat myself down with it in order to feel better.

My way of keeping from over heating is Ice water in the Hydration pack and a frozen canteen, Chest rig (Not a full vest), and an underarmor HeatGear long sleave *beep* instead of a BDU top, Ball cap instead of helmet. Works wonders!

Chilly water is bad. Don't know the exact word but water is better for hydrating the body when it isn't chilly cold. It's easier for the body to use the fluid when it doesn't have to warm first. Ofcourse, cold water feels refreshing and nice and all. A degree warmer water just is better for you.

If you feel thirsty, the best thing to do is to hydrate yourself steadily and have a break. Drinking a whole canteen by one shot doesn't help a poo.

Chilly water is bad. Don't know the exact word but water is better for hydrating the body when it isn't chilly cold. It's easier for the body to use the fluid when it doesn't have to warm first. Ofcourse, cold water feels refreshing and nice and all. A degree warmer water just is better for you.

Trust me, by the time you get to the field out here if it was iced before you leave the house it's melted by the time you get to the field. I'm not talking about near freezing water, I'm talking about avoiding warm water, it's just as bad as no water.

If you feel thirsty, the best thing to do is to hydrate yourself steadily and have a break. Drinking a whole canteen by one shot doesn't help a poo.

as I said:

As for people wearing gear in hot weather, it happens, and you need to be sure to drink water every time to stop moving, and every time to try to talk, every time to change mags, just all the time.

Wasn't quoting you on the later one. And for the water chilliness issue, I trust what I have read and what I was taught on my combat medic course. Chilly and icy water is bad for hydration. Good that we agree, I just got the picture that you recommend everyone to drink water near zero in temperature. :)

"Warm" water is better than ice cold water as when cold it inhibits digestion by not providing the optimum temperature for your food, slowing down the process.

That's the only reason I can think of. Optimum is about 39 degrees Celcius.

They tell you to slip water instead of gulp it to aid hydration because I believe your body has a habit of labelling large quantities of water in your stomach as waste and stuffing it straight off to your kidneys to be urinated back out again.

I think not. That is 102F, 4 degrees higher than your core temp. 60-70f (8C-14C if my math is right) is much better for you. 100+F water is what almost put me in the hospital a month ago. 1.5L of warm water over 2 hrs just caused me to over heat by raising my core temp.

Wuss. It ain't hot out 'til the thermometer is over 25 degrees C.

Ehh, I'm comfey till about 90F/30C. It's the humidity that realy kills you. Out here we get 100% humidity and 90F to 110F with little to no wind. Sweat all you want, it won't evaporate.

That optimum temperature for the enzyme, but upon a little research I've reminded myself that your bodies internal temperature is 37 degrees C.

Apparently it's hotter in your rectum though. Which was nice.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/LenaWong.shtml

I find its really good the day before to hydrate yourself really well, and on game days i do better with propel than i do with water, tried gatorade and that made me sick from the sugar, but the propel does it just right i think.

As for the topic clothing wise, underarmour helps, either way i find i still sweat to the point of soaking the areas under my vest. Which leads me to my next setup of running just a belt with mag pouches and the rollypolly dropleg.

Other than that just remember to do drink plenty h20 between games, we usually break for about 30 minutes after 2 hours to get a bunch more water in us and let it soak in.

Archived