Which M4?

The Thief Lord

Okay so with the passing of buying a G&P M4, I decided I wanted rails. I'm just pondering whether to buy the G&P M4 Special Operation or the Classic Army M15A4 CQB. I like both of these models because of their compactness and the fact that they have rails. Here are what I am looking for in an M4:

Side rails

Easy to maintain

Sturdy and durable

Trademarks (preferably a Marine logo)

Easy to disassemble/reassemble

Compact

Crane stock

Can withstand 9.6v batteries well

Any suggestions are accepted.

Absolutely get the G&P M4 over the CA M4. I have the G&P M4 Marine and it is wonderful. It has all the internals upgraded from the factory, so you don't need to upgrade it out-of-the-box...I do not have any experience with CA guns, but I heard in many places that you would need to upgrade almost all the internals to accept stronger springs. Not only that, but I've also heard that CA guns have "issues" with their buckings, hop-up units, pistons and gears.

get the ics m4. It will dissamble real easy and is a great gun.

Absolutely get the G&P M4 over the CA M4. I have the G&P M4 Marine and it is wonderful. It has all the internals upgraded from the factory, so you don't need to upgrade it out-of-the-box...I do not have any experience with CA guns, but I heard in many places that you would need to upgrade almost all the internals to accept stronger springs. Not only that, but I've also heard that CA guns have "issues" with their buckings, hop-up units, pistons and gears.

If you don't know anything about a specific gun except "rumour" and "what you have heard", don't spout off a load of useless rubbish thats untrue. You don't have to replace any of the internals on the CA, the hop units do their job, the buckings work (interesting how you claim you need to replace the G+P one, but it's the best gun in the world) the pistons are very strong and the gears are some of the best out there.

Both are very good guns, both are built very solidly. There is very little between them, pick them both up, try them both and decide which you prefer.

Having both G&P and CA M4's in my collection, from my experience I'd always go for a G&P. Both companies products have had minor upgrades/changes to them from out of the box to make me happy with them. But for reliability The G&P ones win hands down. Out of all the manufactures guns I own it's the CA ones that give me the most trouble. In three cases they were dead out of the box and had to be returned. The G&P ones do tend to be a bit more expensive, but I feel in the long run the additional cost is worth it.

G&P uses all version 2 compatible parts, all of which are of high quality. Steel gears, apparently the best polycarb piston, heavy wiring, steel bearing spring guide, 7mm steel bearing bushings, TM EG700 motor and the tappet plate is black plastic, don't know what it is but it's the same plastic used in the TM tappet plates. I can fully take down my G&P M4 and M16 down to the gearbox shell in 10 minutes, the spring is just annoying to work with but that's what you have to deal with when you have stronger springs. I can basically install a gearbox part and have the gun working again in about 20 minutes. There's just alot of screws.

As for the CA internals, I've actually seen a CA gearbox opened up at my local airsoft shop. Unless the gun was defective, the internals were not very impressive. First off, plastic hop-up units do not impress me. Second, the gears were zinc alloy and VERY poorly cast. I could see seam lines and bubbles on the gears, oh dear. The old pistons which I certainly hope are still not in use, were to be slightly shorter as to add more air volume. The slight shortness would cause the pistons to break after 1,000 or so rounds. This was a particular problem with the CA SLR-105, which I have failed to read a review where the guy didn't mention "the stock piston broke on me after 1,000 or so shots"

I would go with G&P just because you don't need to upgrade anything but the barrel and bucking to make it shoot 400 FPS with .20g BBs.

The G&Ps don't come with EG700's fitted anymore. They have their own M120-labeled motor.

If you have to get an Armalite, get the G&P. Even if you have to tweak it, it overwhelms the CA in every aspect both externally and internally. The CA's aren't so good internally as people claim. Have owned in total four CA guns and none of them had for example even decent shimming (so loose the gears literally bounced inside). Not to mention externally their absolutely crappy paint on the (pot)metal parts.

I have 3 CAs. All have their little issues.

The oldest, an a2, has little silver pins to hold the back of the receiver. They bent. got lost, have been replaced with stainless steel rod, but the body still rocks a bit.

The middle one, an a4 CQB Compact, has meatier black rods. Still body rocks a little. Front of the gearbox snapped off after less than 7000 rounds.

Latest, an a1 Vietnam, has a metal collar design so doesnt body rock. But the painting is utterly awful, flawed everywhere.

In all 3 cases Ive had to do work to stop the hop units from winding themselves off, rather annoying. Its not a hard fix, and costs nothing, but still disappointing.

Abelius - I personally like the paint rubbing/scratching off...gives character :)

Corkbulb - what CA had a plastic hop? ALL my CA M-series have reasonable metal hops. Now G&G (not G&P) on the other hand...

---

At the end of the day, the G&P and CA debate is as competitive as the love/hate Marmite one. Some prefer one, some prefer the other.

Well, they have supplied their guns with their own motors for a pretty long time now. Thought that perhaps your gun was storaged pretty long before sold? Why would they put a Marui motor in their gun anyways, since they make their pretty decent ones themselves too? Besides, now that I checked, even WGC and redwolf informs that G&P guns come with M120 high speed motors.

Corkbulb- You probably saw an older CA armalite, they actually have very tough internals now and metal hopups. They're very nice gearboxes powered by a good motor. Since I've never owned a G&P I can't compare, but being the owner of a CA m4 I can definitely reccommend one.

I will admit that the CA bodies are pot metal, but I love how my paint wears off. It's still a strong body, and very lightweight.

However...you did say you wanted Marine trademarks, that kinda excludes CA's.

Okay, I'm probably going to get a G&P, but the only problem is that I want rails, and don't want SD silencers, and don't really know how to put on an RAS kit if I bought one. By the way, I've heard crane stock are hard to operate and are bulky, is this true?

RAS kits aren't too hard to install, but keep in mind that it will cost just about the same as buying one with a RAS already.

Have fun with your new toy :D

@AK74M545: there's so little info...

That is definitely true. Buy the gun with the ras. For your battery, you can either go with a crane stock or the fake PEQ on the front of the gun. Personally, I say get the crane stock, they are not bulky, they slide in and out easily if you do a good job with the wiring and a Classic Army Crane stock can hold a 9.6v 4500mah battery. Enough to last you for a week. But my opinion, is get the G&P gun. Find one with an ras and crane stock. For the battery get a G&P 9.6v 2200mah battery if you decide to go this route. Make sure you buy deans connectors though.

Archived