precision aluminum bb's (200ct for $10/$8)

the alu bb's came from uncompany and i did some tests to get some accurate results on wether or not alu bb's are any different from plastic ones. the tests were done in comparisson to ksc .30's, maruzen sgm's, marui .30's (only a few of those as i dont have many left), and g&p .28's. the tests were done in my g-spec with both a pdi 6.01 and laylax 6.03 barrel (both 303mm long). and i tested them with both a 150 and 120 spring. the distance of the results is measured accurately to within 10ft. (o, and fyi, the alu bb's had visible imperfections, but this did not seem to effect their performance at all)

results with the 6.01 and 150 spring: i cycled the bb's through the barrel and found that all of the bb's from two of the jars (i ordered three) rolled out of the barrel nicely. i then fired them and found that they were, other than a few fliers (less than 1 out of 20) as accurate as the maruis (head sized groupings or smaller at 200ft). they could reach out to 270 feet while the maruis shot out to only 250ft. the maruzen sgm's were, other than a few hear and there, all over the place. the ksc's were able to shoot almost as far as the alu bb's, but not as accurately. the g&p's flew fairly well out to about 200ft, after that they began to curve pretty frequently.

results with the 6.01 and 120 spring: i tried a few bb's from the third jar and found that many of them had a bit of a hard time rolling out of the barrel. not only that, but of the ones that did role out were fliers. i tested some from the first jar and found that they flew nice and strait out to about 200ft. the maruzen .29's were, again, all over the place. the ksc's were reaching out as far as the alu's, but once again, were not quite as accurate. the g&p's were ok, and could hit out as far as the others, but did not have as flat a trajectory as the alu and ksc .30's.

results with the 6.03 and 150 spring: the alu bb's did VERY well here. the bb's from all three bottles flew pretty straight out to 280ft, but with lob shots i could get out to 320ft or so and still hit man sized targets a fair amount of the time. the ksc's seemed to be exacty the same as the alu's here. the maruzen sgm's flew pretty straight out to 250ft at which point they seemed to curve pretty randomly. they also had less range than the .30's, and a very rainbow shaped trajectory. the maruis were the most accurate here, but lacked the range of the other bb's (except the .29's). the .28's seemed, once again, to lack the accuracy of the various .30's, and didn't have the best trajectory.

results with the 6.03 and 120 spring: now this one excited me, with the different .30's i was reaching out to about 230ft with little bb deviation and it didnt take too long to get there either. the sgm's however, could reach out to 250ft with a VERY nice trajectory and extreme accuracy. the .28's also faired very nicely. they were not quite as good as the .29's, but they were pretty close to it.

now for the pain test: i had a friend shoot me in the torso from distances of both 100ft, and 200ft with both the 120, and 150 springs. he loaded it up with both ksc and alu bb's mixed together. this way the psycological eliment was removed. he pulled off a few different shots at me on a few different days, and i noticed no difference in the amount or type of pain i felt between the shots.

anyway, i think this proves fairly conclusively that there is no difference between metal and plastic bb's. these particular alu bb's, hower, seem to be pretty good. they are VERY expensive though ($.05 from unco and $.04 from cobra) so i dont think they are entirely worth the money in the 6.03 because they only offer a small advantage over other brands. i feel the same about them with the 6.01 since although they offer a pretty big advantage over many other bb's, you are not guaranteed a good batch.

Edited by scithe

Could you put 10 of those into a single target from 20 meters (60 ft)? If you can then post a pic of the target with a number declaring the distance from centre to centre of the holes most apart from each other, that would be great.

-Sale

sale, i would be happy to do that test, but it may have to wait a few days to a couple of weeks as i will be in cali for a bit.

davedawg, i do not know 100% if they are safe fore brass barrels or not. however, since aluminum is softer than brass, then it should not be a problem.