Minor Introduction:

The long waited review from me about the CA M14. I only have one picture and i'll gladly post it again.

Pre-Story:

Well, There was this one day, that I decided that it was time for me to purchase myself a new AEG. Having lost my M14 to a friend (at cost of course :P) I felt the strong urge to buy a new M14, but the price of the G&G and the TM seriously put me off. Clones were out of the question as thats the reason i Sold my TM to my friend (He had a clone and i felt really bad for him) $500 USD later I find myself anxiously awaiting a package from Redwolf containing:

1xCA M14 National Match

1xM120 Spring

5xG&G 70 Round Standards

(Yes somehow with shipping that added up to $500 USD)

While I was working at my summer camp i recieved a call from my parents stating that I owe them a sum of money and a long package had arrived. After the weekend had came I rushed home to tear open my package and see to my eyes, the beauty that is M14. The box for the CA M14 is actually very nice in design and has some cool art, but who cares about that, SHOW ME THE GUN!

The Gun:

Heavy, yes, heavy, the gun itself weighed probably 1.5x that of the TM, and there was a signifigant amount of HEAVY metal on the gun not the light metal that TM used. First thing i notice is that it is going to require a new heatshield. The stock heatshield is far from what i'd call quality plastic. No biggy, 5 bucks and that problem is SOLVED. The second thing I noticed is that the battery door is plastic, a sudden "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" came to mind as I sat there in disbelief. Inside the battery compartment there is enough room to shove a 9.6v LARGE with plenty of space left over for cords. That will work nicely for my 8.4v batteries. The wiring itself is thick, to my guess 16guage which is good because I'm always fiddling around with wiring anyways and this will make it much easier.

Disassembly:

CA chose the weirdest way of disassembling a gun known to mankind. The first step is like the real gun, remove the trigger guard. The second part is to remove the gas regulator at the very end of the gun, then unscrew a part just below it. Ugh, what a pain. This alows you to pull the entire gas regulator system away from the stock so you can pull the gun out. The rest of the disassembly is fairly simple. Life up on the barrel, pull the top out of the stock, unclip the small tamiya clip and your set. This is where the first problem arose. As i was looking at the instructions just before disassembly, it made no mention of which location the fire selector must be in before it will disassemble without damaging anything. I found out the hard way, it HAS TO BE IN SEMI, unlike the TM which Auto is the selector position. So bugger I've broken my fire selector, shame on CA for using shoddy plastic on it to begin with. Not more then 5 minutes after that it broke again just from me setting it DOWN on the table. CA plastic = fail. The stock itself is very nice :)

Combat testing:

First battle results were unconclusive. I say this because it took about 300 rounds to get the hop up nubbin worked in so that the hop up would work consistently, it would shoot about 50 feet then drop, then suddently you'd get a 200 footer then back to 50 feet. Shame. As far as lugging it through the woods, I was playing a DMR for our team and was doing decently, in the short game i got 2 kills with it, nothing impressive. More combat testing soon.

Sorry no chrono results either, the field I play at goes on an honor system and being as its a new untouched gun internally it wasent an issue.

Accessories:

Well i've heard many roumors that TM or G&G mounts will not fit on the CA. I have a King Arms rail mount that mounts over the bolt assembly that fit on perfectly first try. No fussing just screw it on and go. After attaching the rail i could attach my Aimpoint (if it had batteries left) or my 4x32. Of which I obviously chose the 4x32. Other accessories seem to be very limited. G&G stocks might fit but its not worth the hassle. The first thing I noticed is CA did not use the same motor mount that G&G did and as a result hte motor mount is FIXED in place which is a real pain as I had plans of making an M14E2 stock for it but its not possible with the permanent motor mount. Guess i'll have to wait for G&G to release a replacement gearbox and motor mount.

Upgrades:

This gun really is an abomination internally, it uses a custom spring guide V2/V3 gears and an assortment of other specific parts. I'm horrified to say th eonly thing i felt comfortable doing inside of it was changing the spring, which is all I did do. On the note of upgrades the stock CA motor is very nice and it puts out a nice ROF with an M120 and an 8.4v battery (rough estimate is about 13 RPS) The hop up chamber is REALLY nice as it does not have the terrible 3 gear hop up adjustment but more along the lines of an AUG (Which is pretty much what it is) or the ICS M4's hop up. It adjusts really easily and changing out the hop up nub for the Madbull Fishbone was a real peice of cake.

Overall:

Construction: 8/10 (-2 for poor heatshield and fire selector U-arm)

Appearence: 10/10 (Its an M14 duh!)

Accessories: NA (The gun is still new, My king arms mount fits in mine others, unsure)

Field Testing: 8/10 (For its first day at a short game it did fairly well after the hop got worn in)

Overall: 9/10

This gun is a sure winner for 240 USD I have been surpassed. In comparison to the TM I put it just above the TM and just below the G&G in the overal category. The TM has the service record the G&G has the build quality and the CA sits right in the median of the two.

Picture:

Picture1CAm14.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask I'm more then happy to answer questions :)

u think the CA version surpasses the TM one? how so??? explain.

i have to admit, i feel a little insulted by ur remark. have u shot a TM M14 socom? have u owned one?

cause i have, and i've never had a problem with it and almost love it more than my custom M4 that i've spent pretty much double on.

the TM M14 socom is highly accurate, sleek, and the overall "feel" is better compared to the smooth parts of the CA M14's (TM has the sandstone finish)

im not saying ur wrong (or right) in putting the CA above the TM, i just want to know why?

also, just becuz the GG version is more expensive doesn't necessary mean it's better. i've heard and seen many incidents where the GG version has broken down. much more compared to the instances where a TM M14 broke.

the only problem i've heard of so far for the TM M14 socom is that the tappet plate is made out of cheap metal and can break. but that's a small problem considering it's like 10 bucks to replace

u think the CA version surpasses the TM one? how so??? explain.

i have to admit, i feel a little insulted by ur remark. have u shot a TM M14 socom? have u owned one?

cause i have, and i've never had a problem with it and almost love it more than my custom M4 that i've spent pretty much double on.

the TM M14 socom is highly accurate, sleek, and the overall "feel" is better compared to the smooth parts of the CA M14's (TM has the sandstone finish)

im not saying ur wrong (or right) in putting the CA above the TM, i just want to know why?

also, just becuz the GG version is more expensive doesn't necessary mean it's better. i've heard and seen many incidents where the GG version has broken down. much more compared to the instances where a TM M14 broke.

the only problem i've heard of so far for the TM M14 socom is that the tappet plate is made out of cheap metal and can break. but that's a small problem considering it's like 10 bucks to replace

Having owned a TM M14, played with a G&G and played with the clones I think my findings are well founded. I put it above because it feels more like the real M14. (Being a real M14 shooter as well tends to help) but is probably not going to be as reliable in the end as a TM. The metal finish feels 100x better then the TM I owned and so far it hasent self destructed under minimal wear and tear. The CA Has far from a smooth finish on it, Its not nearly as pronounced as the TM's but it definetly not as smooth as the TM M14 national match's finish. The CA Has slightly less build quality then a G&G externally but has the internal reliability close to that of a TM. That is why its in the middle.

The G&G version is head over heals compared to both because it DOES feel like a real M14. Its weight, balance, and finish are identical to the real M14. I'm not comparing them on how each one feels as an airsoft gun. I want realism and aside form the fact that it shoots 6mm bullets and the bolt moves half way back its as close to a real one as you can buy. The G&G Veteran version puts the CA and TM to shame in its stock form. I have seen my TM M14's gearbox lock itself up after a slight change in a spring and a good reshimming. That hasent happened yet with my CA.

Trust me, I loved my TM to death, but speaking from experience the CA is better then the TM and the G&G Veteran is KING. No gun is perfect, infact most are far from it, but with what i've seen with the G&G Veteran all the internal problems were worked out and it feels like the real deal. So far that it will always hold top place in my oppinion.

Ohh and for the record (Not like it matters) you know how alot of airsoft M14 owners have "Long live the M14 brotherhood" in their sig or under their name? Two other people and I started the M14 Brotherhood shortly after the TM M14 came out So i've seen the good and bad of every M14 AEG since the G&G (Cant quite lay claim to the Airsoft club one). I've been using M14's for a very long time and if you disagree with my oppinion that is your call but I will still stand by my judgement. (And TM M14's dont have metal tappet plates, its a high strength plastic, I dont think you can even buy a metal tappet plate.)

Again for clarity here is what I see from all 3 manufacturers.

TM Pro's

+Metal

+Good Hop Up

+Mags Look Real (Although they are more of the long 10 round style then the 20 round style)

+Decent price (370$ now, mine was 350$ with battery and 2 mags)

+Very reliable in STOCK form.

TM Con's

-Metal is brittle (I had most of my metal parts destroy themselves after about 6 months of play, not what i'd expect from metal)

-Plastic stock and handguard/heatshield is shiny and flimsy (Stock not so much on the flimsy department, but shiny none the less)

-PITA Gearbox design

-Small battery space

-Doesnt Feel close to the real deal (Aftermarket stocks fix this)

CA Pro's

+Metal

+Good Hop Up

+Beefy Internals

+Reliable in stock form

+350 fps stock

+Feels close to real deal

CA Con's

-Heatshield/handguard is cheap flimsy plastic

-PITA Gearbox Design (But not one that is going to fail)

-Pain to disassemble (Close to real deal, but not quite)

-Plastics on outside of gearbox very brittle

-Butt plate door for battery is plastic

G&G Vet Pro's

+400 FPS Stock

+Feels like the real gun

+Beefy Gearbox

+Metal

+Good Hop Up

+Wood stock

+Batery Space galore (you can fit a full 9.6v battery in there and have an inch at the back for more room)

G&G Con's

-Price (At $470 starting, not including shipping or mags)

-Some gearbox parts are specific to the G&G M14

-PITA Gearbox Design

-Maybe some reliability issues furthur in life (Closer to purchase then maybe the CA or TM so far none)

Sorry for the long winded post =)

Edited by UrPeaceKeeper

Doesn't sound bad for $240.

I've handled a G&G and meh, I think the externals are WAY overated.

I do know what you mean by the TM metal...but 6 months!

Good review, thanks for the info.

Surely you mean plastic?

Edited by Hustie

Haven't ever heard of a crappy TM M14 tappet plate either. The problem has always been the cut off lever, which is made out of very soft metal. Mine wore out without any upgrades.

I would love to compare the CA metal to the TM metal. Haven't handled a CA M14, but from experience CA metal with the exception of the SCAR and steel-made AK-variants is pretty low quality alloy, although it feels sturdy, it isn't. Not to mention the paint that scratches away (even on the super-SCAR) pretty damn fast. The TM M14 metal finish is flawless and has stayed so although I have gone to hell and beyond with it. Scratches, yes. Paint chipping, no.

Haven't ever heard of a crappy TM M14 tappet plate either. The  problem has always been the cut off lever, which is made out of very soft metal. Mine wore out without any upgrades.

I would love to compare the CA metal to the TM metal. Haven't handled a CA M14, but from experience CA metal with the exception of the SCAR and steel-made AK-variants is pretty low quality alloy, although it feels sturdy, it isn't. Not to mention the paint that scratches away (even on the super-SCAR) pretty damn fast. The TM M14 metal finish is flawless and has stayed so although I have gone to hell and beyond with it. Scratches, yes. Paint chipping, no.

It wont be long and I'll be able to compare the two side by side and put the myths to an end. I can tell you from experience (having owned both) Right now the CA's metal doesn't feel like the metal they use in their armalites. Its much closer to a steal alloy (I"m also an aprentice blacksmith (apprenticing under that of a book and which ever blacksmith decides to come about)) I can tell its not pure steal as its much to light for that. SO maybe a Steal/Aluminum alloy or something. I dont know what metal TM uses but from what I can remember the CA feel 100x more solid then the TM. The paint scratches/chips? hasent happened yet ^_^

right not "tappet plate" i meant the cut off plate's metal was of really poor quality.

as for the "Metal is brittle (I had most of my metal parts destroy themselves after about 6 months of play, not what i'd expect from metal)" im not too sure on that.

i think u might have just been really unlucky and received a defect. i know of many ppl in my local airsoft networks that use the TM M14 and not one of them has had the problem mentioned above.

interesting.

My TM M14's metal has been fine for almost 6 months. I have hit the gun on trees and such countless times. Someone running by me even kicked my barrel by accident, and the gun is still fine. I have also landed my 160 pound self on the butt plate and stock, the gun had no mark.

I have held the CA M14 Match, and it feels much like a real M14 with fiberglass stock. But I still wouldn't give my TM M14 for anything, shoots to nicely with .25s at only 255 fps.

I got mine today! Your review was one of the main reasons I got it. It's a very sexy rifle.

Proof!

DSC01844.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

I got to shoot it alittle today, my battery was really low. I chronoed it at 317 and 323. Not bad at all. I will do further testing. Is their any guides that show how to get to the hop-up chamber? I know how to get the stock off, but most instructions stop there. Pics would rock.

DP

hows the trigger responce, is it anything like the tm?

Comparing it to my old TM both upgraded to US standards, i think the TM has better trigger response, then again the TM has the superior electronics components (the CA has this weird V2 styled electronics... i'm considering making a MOSFET for it to remove any sparking that i'm already seeing.

• 2 months later...
Comparing it to my old TM both upgraded to US standards, i think the TM has better trigger response, then again the TM has the superior electronics components (the CA has this weird V2 styled electronics... i'm considering making a MOSFET for it to remove any sparking that i'm already seeing.

Just a bit of an update for those who are seeking a long term use report. I've since taken my gun to bits about 80 times now and installed a myriad of parts in her. Poor ole CA M14 isnt much CA internally anymore. Here is a list of all thats been done.

Systema Torque up Gears

Guarder M1*0 Spring

Guarder Pinion Gear

Systema Magnum Motor

Prometheus Piston

Systema Area1000 Pistonhead

Rewired for Deans

Madbull 6.03 Tightbore

Big Out H Hop Up Nub

Prometheus Bearing Spring Guide

All in all, too much money has been spent but she shoots like a dream. I have her in Full auto still despite shooting about, 530 fps w/ .20's just to prove a point the Systema Magnum on an 8.4v 3500 mAh battery turns the gearbox over at about 15-16 rps with standard AEG trigger response. As soon as I can afford to use her again she will be Semi Only and have a scope zeroed exactly to her so she can be my DMR rifle. I've got about 250 ft of range with .30's bb's.

My Next project and review is what is pictured in my signature. Classic Army SPR, coming soon, probably the next 2 or 3 weeks soon :)