Colt's Combat Comander Davidson Custom

Colt’s Combat Commander Davidson Custom

One of the supporters of Arnie’s who regularly send us news on ACM products; RSOV.com put me in contact with a gunsmith who is looking to release his products on to the airsoft market.

The Story Begins!

Now having agreed to review his product I was asked not for my postal address but to actually meet someone to pick the product up, highly irregular! A time and a place were arranged and I headed over to Tokyo to meet the gentleman who was to pass the sample to me. I was beginning to hear Monty Norman in my head.

The meeting place was Japans busiest railway station “Shinjuku”, and having gone to the meeting place I was approached by a young Chinese couple who I thought were going to ask for direction on how to escape the labyrinth that Shinjuku station is. To my surprise they addressed me by name and informed me that they had the sample with them and that maybe we should find somewhere a little quieter to pass the sample over.

Having received the sample I knew straight away that this was something special and the whole reason for the face to face exchange over that of a postal delivery is that this is a one off, no over like it exists.

The Box

The Davidson Custom was boxed up in a Tokyo Marui 1911A1 box for reason that will be made obvious later on in the review, having got it home I decided to open it up and take a really good look at it, rather than the tentative glance that I got in the coffee shop.

p8132564mediumce1.jpg

Upon lifting the Davidson Custom out of the box you will know that this is no ordinary replica straight away you notice the weight, 1.161 Kg with magazine which is almost on par with the real steel which weighed in at 1.02 Kg or 1.05 Kg without magazine. Just for a comparison the Tokyo Marui 1911A1 with PGC kit weighs in at 783g.

p8132660mediumth1.jpg

Now one of the main things that blew me away was the quality of the trades and printing on the Davidson Colt’s Combat Commander. The edges of the print are absolutely beautiful and on the italics, make it look almost as if it stands out off the frame rather than indented.

p8132669mediumtr9.jpg

p8132573mediumne9.jpg

p8132649mediumsf0.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upper Slide

The upper slide is a remarkable piece of engineering and craftsmanship, those familiar with the Tokyo Marui 1911A1 will recognise the break down image below, and also contains some real steel parts including the slide stop and bushings.

p8132581mediumxr1.jpg

The slide itself is made out of one piece of steel and the fit is so perfect that the Tokyo Marui blow back and hop chambers slide perfectly in and out.

p8132579mediumsc8.jpg

The outer barrel has also received the custom treatment and again is made out of steel, making the whole of the upper assembly weigh in at 440g, that’s around 38% of the gun’s total weight in the slide so HFC134a users should think about getting a propane rig or CO2.

p8132593mediumue4.jpg

p8132656mediumri4.jpg

The front and rear sights are also taken from its real steal cousin and the famous Novak’s rear sight was modified and fitted perfectly allowing adjustments and fine tuning of the sights. Overall the upper slide is as close to the real thing as you are going to get in Airsoft.

p8132595mediumnn9.jpg

Lower Slide

Again this does not disappoint, the trades and overall finish are exceptional. The lower frame is also made out of one piece of CNC machined steel and engages perfectly with the upper slide.

p8132589mediumjo9.jpg

Again there are some real steel parts included on the lower including the beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safety, flat checkered mainspring housing, mag release, bevel and magwell!

p8132585mediumaa9.jpg

p8132587mediumcr8.jpg

The trigger is also real steel and has been tuned with a 4.5lbs trigger pull, this is connected to a Match hammer and sear, again real steel modified for airsoft.

p8132575mediumvh8.jpg

p8132607mediumto3.jpg

Another cool feature are the pins on the lower frame for attaching the grips, these again are from the real gun and allows the use of all original grips. (Yes, I’m aware that a standard TM 1911 has this feature but still someone is bound to ask.)

p8132592mediumhm6.jpg

The gun was supplied with real steel Hogue grips and having used these before I can’t go into to just how comfortable and ergonomic to the hand they are.

p8132597mediumvh6.jpg

Firing

Not only is the Colt’s Commander Davidson Custom an amazing replica it also has a job to do, now like I said earlier, there is no way you are going to be able to cycle the slide correctly on HFC134a, now one way around this is to use a standard Tokyo Marui recoil spring but that’s going to take a lot of the snap out of the slide, so the only option you have to really enjoy this weapon is to use either propane or CO2.

Now when firing you can certainly tell that it was built by a master Gunsmith, all the parts cycled perfectly and the crack of the slide after each shot is a joy to behold. The inner barrel is also custom made for this gun and the groupings at 10 meters are extremely tight.

Now as I mentioned before the Davidson Custom weighs in at 1.161 Kg and it really does make a huge difference in the feel of the weapon, you actually feel that you have a hand gun in your hands rather than an Airsoft Toy.

Conclusion

I would have to give this 9/10. It would have received a 10/10 but the simple fact that it isn’t capable of cycling properly on HFC134a puts it out of the reach of a lot of players here in Japan. With propane though this thing rocks!

The overall finish is that of a real gun, I used to think that PGC kits were realistic but the Davidson has seriously made me think about the quality of some of the kits on the market.

I have no idea of the price of this as it is a one off right now and as soon as I get any more information on the cost I will let you know in here.

Back in the 80s i got to shoot a Colt,i think it was a 1911 & i enjoyed that experience if not the cost of the Ammo.

I was wondering if you have to give it back as well,services rendered & all that.The possible business that your review could drum up worldwide is astounding & i'm in the market for a Colt 45 at some point.I like realism in my airsoft guns & i'd seriously consider one of these babies.

{speaking of which my son is due this week so i have to curb my spending for a bit}

Ohhhh me wants, I almost got a steel kit for a WA 1911 a while back but after some research got told they didn't cycle very well

Can it be decocked like a WA? Can we get pics of the mag please? And how many does the mag hold/manage to shoot?

Ohhhh me wants, I almost got a steel kit for a WA 1911 a while back but after some research got told they didn't cycle very well

Can it be decocked like a WA? Can we get pics of the mag please? And how many does the mag hold/manage to shoot?

The Magazine is the original Tokyo Marui mag, but has a Wilson combat floor plate.

How does the WA decock??? not to savy on WA :D

Ok I undersatand what you are talking about now, and yes it can. You can lower the hammer manually with your thumb while pulling the trigger. The other cool feature is that you can fire it from half cocked :D

Ouch, a TM 1911 with steel slide? I'm guessing like, maybe 5-10 full power shots on a full tank of gas? Also the slide must cycle rather slowly.

I don't even wanna know what it costs, probably more than its RS counterpart.

Edited by Utty
5 -10 shots is more than the RS so good enough

Good enough? Whew okay, no worries then, I can sleep safely now. For a minute there I thought that 5-10 full power shots out of a monstrously expensive custom GBB was pretty poor, glad we got that sorted out. :)

and as for the slide cycleing he answered that one i the review.

It says 'the crack of the slide after each shot is a joy to behold'. I don't even know how to translate that. :blink:

It's bound to be more than the RS as it's custom built by a RS Gunsmith not produced in a fasctory.

So overall, a kickass product (wicked, wicked)! Where's my checkbook??

Looks outstanding FE- great review and pictures!

I didn't notice mention so if I missed it, apologies, but with all those trades, i.e. Novak sights with patent numbers, etc., How is this going to fly here in the US and any country that enforces trademarks?

Again, great write up :D

Slainte!

-G

Ouch, a TM 1911 with steel slide? I'm guessing like, maybe 5-10 full power shots on a full tank of gas? Also the slide must cycle rather slowly.

I don't even wanna know what it costs, probably more than its RS counterpart.

On HFC134a you're not getting anywhere with this, propane and CO2 which I do beleive it is designed for taking into account that the hammer spring recoil spring and valves are all modified. Using Propane I emptied the magazine with shots averaging at 98m/s

5 -10 shots is more than the RS so good enough and as for the slide cycleing he answered that one i the review. It's bound to be more than the RS as it's custom built by a RS Gunsmith not produced in a fasctory.

Oh and thats 24 shots (That's a TM MAgazine filled to capacity)

Looks outstanding FE- great review and pictures!

I didn't notice mention so if I missed it, apologies, but with all those trades, i.e. Novak sights with patent numbers, etc., How is this going to fly here in the US and any country that enforces trademarks?

Again, great write up  :D

Slainte!

-G

The Novak sights are real steal so I don't think there is going to be any issue there as they are not copies but purchased through Novaks for the gun.